Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Subwoofer Tests - Archived (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/)
-   -   Subwoofer driver buy-in poll (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/6959-subwoofer-driver-buy-poll.html)

Ricci 10-29-07 09:29 AM

Re: Subwoofer driver buy-in poll

Quote:

SteveCallas wrote: (Post 57821)
You know what, forget the 15" DVC. If we really want to try a cheapo driver out, the Dayton Classic 18" might be even better.

Why not the Mach5 MJ-18 instead? It seems to be a little more robust for about the same price.

The Ascendant Audio Havoc 18 might be worth testing too. I'm willing to donate $25 each for any of the following: Havoc18, RLp18, Fi Q18, Aura NS18.

toecheese 10-29-07 09:36 AM

Re: Avalanche 18" buy-in

Isn't 'infinite' huge? If you make a panel that you could mount the speakers in a wall, and have a 24" square sheet that could be removed, you could mount each speaker on said sheet, then bolt it into the wall and quickly go from speaker to speaker.

$300 shipping? You located in Antartica? nm: Finland. I'm thinking it just isn't practical for you to get speakers (since many of them are from the US)

I'd suggest you go to manufacturers themselves and see if they'll donate.

edit: Sorry, I edited your post instead of quoting it. -Ilkka

Ilkka 10-29-07 09:54 AM

Quote:

noah katz wrote: (Post 57824)
"-shipping (around $250-$300)
-taxes+duty fees (26.5% on the product price+shipping)
-the enclosure (usually at least $150-200 even with bare BB)"

When you put it that way, it inspires me to offer $50 for an Avalanche 18.

I didn't mean it like that, it's just the reality. But thank you. :)

Quote:

What happens to our contributions if you don't get any contributions and/or you can't find one?
"What happens to our contributions if you don't get any contributions?" Isn't there a paradox? What do you mean?

Finding an Ava 18" isn't a problem.

Ilkka 10-29-07 10:14 AM

Re: Avalanche 18" buy-in

Quote:

Isn't 'infinite' huge? If you make a panel that you could mount the speakers in a wall, and have a 24" square sheet that could be removed, you could mount each speaker on said sheet, then bolt it into the wall and quickly go from speaker to speaker.
Have you checked the environment where I perform these measurements?

http://www.dvdplaza.fi/galleria/data/954/0011.jpg

There can't be a wall in a 2pi environment (other than the earth itself). Small baffle like 24" square could be one option for comparison purposes only.

Quote:

$300 shipping? You located in Antartica? nm: Finland. I'm thinking it just isn't practical for you to get speakers (since many of them are from the US)
Items that heavy cost around that to anywhere in Europe, no just Finland.

Quote:

I'd suggest you go to manufacturers themselves and see if they'll donate.
Yes, I have tried that. Some will but most won't.

toecheese 10-29-07 11:18 AM

I'm not sure of the nature of your testing (the OP didn't say anything about it), but if you really want to do it that way- cut a hole in the door of that building behind you. You'll get your 'huge wall'.

Have you considered a trip to the US? Since your testing lab is outdoors, we might have one or two of those around. ;-) Combine a vacation (welcome to USA where the plunging dollar makes everything cheap to those in Europe), with a visit to a shackster (I can provide the Q18), and run your tests.

noah katz 10-29-07 03:12 PM

"What happens to our contributions if you don't get any contributions?" Isn't there a paradox? What do you mean?"

Sorry, I meant "enough contributions.

Ilkka 10-29-07 08:08 PM

Quote:

noah katz wrote: (Post 57975)
"What happens to our contributions if you don't get any contributions?" Isn't there a paradox? What do you mean?"

Sorry, I meant "enough contributions.

No money will move until there is enough (promised) contributions.

Ilkka 10-29-07 08:36 PM

Quote:

SteveCallas wrote: (Post 56965)
And are you really going to build a 500 effective liter enclosure? Sonosub or box?

Possibly.

Do you even have to ask? :D

Scott S 11-01-07 05:40 PM

I voted for the RLp18 but I would also like to see the competing 18's (Q18 and Ava18 and maybe even the IXL18.4) to be tested along with it for comparison's sake. :) At some time, although maybe not with this test, I would also love to see the Dayton Reference 15 HF/HO to be tested.

That said I give the nod to the RLp18 if I had to pick one. :D

noah katz 11-01-07 06:25 PM

Per the first post, you can pick as many as you want, for at least $15 ea