Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Subwoofer Tests - Archived (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/)
-   -   Subwoofer driver buy-in poll (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/6959-subwoofer-driver-buy-poll.html)

Ilkka 10-23-07 11:28 AM

Subwoofer driver buy-in poll

It's a bit strange to start a new buy-in thread when the results for the previous one (LMS-5400) haven't been posted yet, but there are a few Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18" drivers being sold for a reasonable price, and I though I could grab one and test it. Recently the AVA 18" has again been quite a hot topic, especially when the other XBL^2 based subwoofers I have tested haven't quite redeemed all the promises being made.

Would people be willing to help me out with the costs involved?

Also a SS RL-p18 test looks very promising. It would be very interesting to compare these two. :) Add one Fi Q18 in the mix... so many woofers, so little time (and money). :hissyfit:

EDIT: A poll has been added

I started a poll so we can more easily see which drivers people would like to see being tested AND could chip in to make it happen. Please note that you can select multiple choices.

And by 'chip in' I mean at least $15 - $20 per each driver you voted for.

Sonnie 10-23-07 01:41 PM

Re: Avalanche 18" buy-in

The Shack will toss in $25 for each driver, AVA 18, RL-p18, and Fi Q18.

Ilkka 10-23-07 02:00 PM

Quote:

Sonnie wrote: (Post 56309)
The Shack will toss in $25 for each driver, AVA 18, RL-p18, and Fi Q18.

Thank you! :yay:

ssabripo 10-25-07 07:18 AM

I'm in....but we need to get more people involved. can't cough up $50 on my own, but if we can 10-15 people and have then chip in $15-$20 or so, that's cool.

WillyD 10-25-07 02:09 PM

The Rl-p 18 and Q18 have my votes.

Mike P. 10-25-07 02:39 PM

I'd be willing to support the Rl-p 18 and the Q18 and also the IXL-18.4. I'm not sure what point there would be in testing the Avalanche 18 since nobody can buy one. If it's XBL^2 that's needs further testing DIYCable.com is coming out with a 18 inch sub. To me it makes sense to test a product that people can buy.

As of now I pledge $20 each for the Rl-p 18 and the Fi Q18. If there is enough interest in a third driver I'll pledge $20 for that one too. I'll edit my post in the future to reflect which one it is.

Ilkka 10-25-07 05:18 PM

Guys,

I'm open to all suggestions. If people don't want to see the Avalanche being tested, then we pick something else. Though personally I'm slightly interested in finding out how the Ava does. I would like to give the XBL^2 one more chance, so to speak. :)

Are there any other interesting drivers out there beside the ones mentioned here? How about the Dayton RSS390HF or HO?

Of course the chosen drivers would have to fit in a few similar enclosures (like one ~500 liter LLT and other smaller sealed). I'm not willing to build five etc. different enclosures for them, especially when most 18 inchers require a huge box.

Ilkka 10-25-07 05:41 PM

I started a poll so we can more easily see which drivers people would like to see being tested AND could chip in to make it happen. Please note that you can select multiple choices.

And by 'chip in' I mean at least $15 - $20 per each driver you voted for.

SteveCallas 10-25-07 08:05 PM

Re: Subwoofer driver buy-in poll

I'd like to see the SS RL-p18 and a Dayton DVC 15". Why the DVC? I want to see what a "cheapo" 15" driver can do compared to a quality one like the TC2k, SDX, or Tumult. I'm a fan of the multiple, less expensive driver concept - getting the most for a given amount of money to spend. Speaking of which, count me in for $20 a piece or $30 for one.

And are you really going to build a 500 effective liter enclosure? Sonosub or box?

Exocer 10-25-07 09:03 PM

Re: Subwoofer driver buy-in poll

Sound Splinter RL-p15/18, Fi Q15/18, Dayton RSS390HF/HO All the way :bigsmile: