Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Subwoofer Tests - Archived (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/)
-   -   Subwoofer driver buy-in poll (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/6959-subwoofer-driver-buy-poll.html)

Ilkka 10-23-07 11:28 AM

Subwoofer driver buy-in poll

It's a bit strange to start a new buy-in thread when the results for the previous one (LMS-5400) haven't been posted yet, but there are a few Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18" drivers being sold for a reasonable price, and I though I could grab one and test it. Recently the AVA 18" has again been quite a hot topic, especially when the other XBL^2 based subwoofers I have tested haven't quite redeemed all the promises being made.

Would people be willing to help me out with the costs involved?

Also a SS RL-p18 test looks very promising. It would be very interesting to compare these two. :) Add one Fi Q18 in the mix... so many woofers, so little time (and money). :hissyfit:

EDIT: A poll has been added

I started a poll so we can more easily see which drivers people would like to see being tested AND could chip in to make it happen. Please note that you can select multiple choices.

And by 'chip in' I mean at least $15 - $20 per each driver you voted for.

Sonnie 10-23-07 01:41 PM

Re: Avalanche 18" buy-in

The Shack will toss in $25 for each driver, AVA 18, RL-p18, and Fi Q18.

Ilkka 10-23-07 02:00 PM

Quote:

Sonnie wrote: (Post 56309)
The Shack will toss in $25 for each driver, AVA 18, RL-p18, and Fi Q18.

Thank you! :yay:

ssabripo 10-25-07 07:18 AM

I'm in....but we need to get more people involved. can't cough up $50 on my own, but if we can 10-15 people and have then chip in $15-$20 or so, that's cool.

WillyD 10-25-07 02:09 PM

The Rl-p 18 and Q18 have my votes.

Mike P. 10-25-07 02:39 PM

I'd be willing to support the Rl-p 18 and the Q18 and also the IXL-18.4. I'm not sure what point there would be in testing the Avalanche 18 since nobody can buy one. If it's XBL^2 that's needs further testing DIYCable.com is coming out with a 18 inch sub. To me it makes sense to test a product that people can buy.

As of now I pledge $20 each for the Rl-p 18 and the Fi Q18. If there is enough interest in a third driver I'll pledge $20 for that one too. I'll edit my post in the future to reflect which one it is.

Ilkka 10-25-07 05:18 PM

Guys,

I'm open to all suggestions. If people don't want to see the Avalanche being tested, then we pick something else. Though personally I'm slightly interested in finding out how the Ava does. I would like to give the XBL^2 one more chance, so to speak. :)

Are there any other interesting drivers out there beside the ones mentioned here? How about the Dayton RSS390HF or HO?

Of course the chosen drivers would have to fit in a few similar enclosures (like one ~500 liter LLT and other smaller sealed). I'm not willing to build five etc. different enclosures for them, especially when most 18 inchers require a huge box.

Ilkka 10-25-07 05:41 PM

I started a poll so we can more easily see which drivers people would like to see being tested AND could chip in to make it happen. Please note that you can select multiple choices.

And by 'chip in' I mean at least $15 - $20 per each driver you voted for.

SteveCallas 10-25-07 08:05 PM

Re: Subwoofer driver buy-in poll

I'd like to see the SS RL-p18 and a Dayton DVC 15". Why the DVC? I want to see what a "cheapo" 15" driver can do compared to a quality one like the TC2k, SDX, or Tumult. I'm a fan of the multiple, less expensive driver concept - getting the most for a given amount of money to spend. Speaking of which, count me in for $20 a piece or $30 for one.

And are you really going to build a 500 effective liter enclosure? Sonosub or box?

Exocer 10-25-07 09:03 PM

Sound Splinter RL-p15/18, Fi Q15/18, Dayton RSS390HF/HO All the way :bigsmile:

Larry McConville 10-26-07 07:33 AM

Quote:

DS-21 wrote: (Post 56977)
People can certainly buy them. In fact, I did just that a couple months ago. Not new, of course, but I don't see how that changes anything.

I believe a 'currently' active/available product is an important consideration; although, I'm certainly curious to see how one performs. I second the Exodus XJ18; this is a new driver Kevin Haskins is developing utilizing XBL^2 technology.

Larry

DevilDriver 10-26-07 09:54 AM

Quote:

Mike P. wrote: (Post 56903)
I'd be willing to support the Rl-p 18 and the Q18 and also the IXL-18.4. I'm not sure what point there would be in testing the Avalanche 18 since nobody can buy one. If it's XBL^2 that's needs further testing DIYCable.com is coming out with a 18 inch sub. To me it makes sense to test a product that people can buy.

:T

The XJ-18 is still a little ways away. If it doesn't necessarily have to be an 18" driver, the Tempest-X and Shiva-X will be out right away.

Ricci 10-26-07 12:37 PM

I voted for the RLP18D2 and the Q18D2. I don't really care about the 15's.

The other drivers that I would really like to see tested are one of the new RE Audio XXX's, (on paper they look like they can really do some damage in sealed boxes), and the Aurasound NS18.

Sonnie 10-26-07 05:24 PM

Remember guys... a vote indicates your willingness to contribute to the buy-in.

It would help if you would edit each of your post and indicate how much you can contribute so that Ilkka can keep a tally on the pledges.

Thanks... :T

toecheese 10-27-07 09:52 PM

Quote:

Ilkka wrote: (Post 56931)
Of course the chosen drivers would have to fit in a few similar enclosures (like one ~500 liter LLT and other smaller sealed). I'm not willing to build five etc. different enclosures for them, especially when most 18 inchers require a huge box.

I'd prefer them be tested IB- that way it is the speaker-only and no one can complain of box bias. Not all speakers are sufficient for IB use, but I think the ones you posted are.

Okay, I voted with the knowledge that it'll cost me $25 towards the test. However, I do this with the caveat that the speakers, once purchased, be part of future giveaways at the 'shack.

SteveCallas 10-28-07 12:33 AM

That's what I have wondered about - if the forum members pay for drivers, does Ilkka just get to keep them?

Ilkka 10-28-07 04:59 PM

Quote:

toecheese wrote: (Post 57441)
Okay, I voted with the knowledge that it'll cost me $25 towards the test. However, I do this with the caveat that the speakers, once purchased, be part of future giveaways at the 'shack.

Quote:

SteveCallas wrote: (Post 57488)
That's what I have wondered about - if the forum members pay for drivers, does Ilkka just get to keep them?

I think there is a slight misunderstanding. The forum members don't pay for the driver(s), they only pay a small part of it.

You can't just look at the bare price for the driver. When you calculate all the expenses, the total price for each measured driver is WAY higher than the price for the driver itself.

Here's what you have to add for each driver (also any upcoming test):

-shipping (around $250-$300)
-taxes+duty fees (26.5% on the product price+shipping)
-the enclosure (usually at least $150-200 even with bare BB)

So when you add those to the driver price, you'll understand why I need these donations. And I haven't even calculated any price for my own personal work load. The enclosures don't show up on my front door. The subwoofers won't measure themselves. The results won't print out without me putting around 50-100 hours of work on them per each round.

So hopefully you'll understand that I'm slightly against the idea of donating the drivers to a Shack givaway...

And FYI, I got ~$290 worth of donations towards the LMS test.

Ilkka 10-28-07 05:13 PM

Quote:

toecheese wrote: (Post 57441)
I'd prefer them be tested IB- that way it is the speaker-only and no one can complain of box bias. Not all speakers are sufficient for IB use, but I think the ones you posted are.

There are some difficulties. How can one build an IB to a 2pi environment? In order to push the Fequal below 10 Hz, the baffle would have to be huge. Also the drivers wouldn't see much power, which means no thermal load.

SteveCallas 10-28-07 09:44 PM

You know what, forget the 15" DVC. If we really want to try a cheapo driver out, the Dayton Classic 18" might be even better.

noah katz 10-28-07 09:51 PM

"-shipping (around $250-$300)
-the enclosure (usually at least $150-200 even with bare BB)"

When you put it that way, it inspires me to offer $50 for an Avalanche 18.

What happens to our contributions if you don't get any contributions and/or you can't find one?

Ricci 10-29-07 09:29 AM

Quote:

SteveCallas wrote: (Post 57821)
You know what, forget the 15" DVC. If we really want to try a cheapo driver out, the Dayton Classic 18" might be even better.

Why not the Mach5 MJ-18 instead? It seems to be a little more robust for about the same price.

The Ascendant Audio Havoc 18 might be worth testing too. I'm willing to donate $25 each for any of the following: Havoc18, RLp18, Fi Q18, Aura NS18.

toecheese 10-29-07 09:36 AM

Isn't 'infinite' huge? If you make a panel that you could mount the speakers in a wall, and have a 24" square sheet that could be removed, you could mount each speaker on said sheet, then bolt it into the wall and quickly go from speaker to speaker.

$300 shipping? You located in Antartica? nm: Finland. I'm thinking it just isn't practical for you to get speakers (since many of them are from the US)

I'd suggest you go to manufacturers themselves and see if they'll donate.

edit: Sorry, I edited your post instead of quoting it. -Ilkka

Ilkka 10-29-07 09:54 AM

Quote:

noah katz wrote: (Post 57824)
"-shipping (around $250-$300)
-the enclosure (usually at least $150-200 even with bare BB)"

When you put it that way, it inspires me to offer $50 for an Avalanche 18.

I didn't mean it like that, it's just the reality. But thank you. :)

Quote:

What happens to our contributions if you don't get any contributions and/or you can't find one?
"What happens to our contributions if you don't get any contributions?" Isn't there a paradox? What do you mean?

Finding an Ava 18" isn't a problem.

Ilkka 10-29-07 10:14 AM

Quote:

Isn't 'infinite' huge? If you make a panel that you could mount the speakers in a wall, and have a 24" square sheet that could be removed, you could mount each speaker on said sheet, then bolt it into the wall and quickly go from speaker to speaker.
Have you checked the environment where I perform these measurements?

http://www.dvdplaza.fi/galleria/data/954/0011.jpg

There can't be a wall in a 2pi environment (other than the earth itself). Small baffle like 24" square could be one option for comparison purposes only.

Quote:

$300 shipping? You located in Antartica? nm: Finland. I'm thinking it just isn't practical for you to get speakers (since many of them are from the US)
Items that heavy cost around that to anywhere in Europe, no just Finland.

Quote:

I'd suggest you go to manufacturers themselves and see if they'll donate.
Yes, I have tried that. Some will but most won't.

toecheese 10-29-07 11:18 AM

I'm not sure of the nature of your testing (the OP didn't say anything about it), but if you really want to do it that way- cut a hole in the door of that building behind you. You'll get your 'huge wall'.

Have you considered a trip to the US? Since your testing lab is outdoors, we might have one or two of those around. ;-) Combine a vacation (welcome to USA where the plunging dollar makes everything cheap to those in Europe), with a visit to a shackster (I can provide the Q18), and run your tests.

noah katz 10-29-07 03:12 PM

"What happens to our contributions if you don't get any contributions?" Isn't there a paradox? What do you mean?"

Sorry, I meant "enough contributions.

Ilkka 10-29-07 08:08 PM

Quote:

noah katz wrote: (Post 57975)
"What happens to our contributions if you don't get any contributions?" Isn't there a paradox? What do you mean?"

Sorry, I meant "enough contributions.

No money will move until there is enough (promised) contributions.

Ilkka 10-29-07 08:36 PM

Quote:

SteveCallas wrote: (Post 56965)
And are you really going to build a 500 effective liter enclosure? Sonosub or box?

Possibly.

Do you even have to ask? :D

Scott S 11-01-07 05:40 PM

I voted for the RLp18 but I would also like to see the competing 18's (Q18 and Ava18 and maybe even the IXL18.4) to be tested along with it for comparison's sake. :) At some time, although maybe not with this test, I would also love to see the Dayton Reference 15 HF/HO to be tested.

That said I give the nod to the RLp18 if I had to pick one. :D

noah katz 11-01-07 06:25 PM

Per the first post, you can pick as many as you want, for at least $15 ea

steve nn 11-08-07 06:43 AM

I'm interested in seeing how the 18" RL-p stacks up.

darrellh44 11-08-07 09:11 AM

Hi Ilkka,

I'm interested in the Q15, RSS390HF, IXL-15.2.2, and the new Exodus Tempest-X. I'll pledge 100 USD and thanks for all the hard work.

Thanks,
Darrell

Ricci 11-15-07 02:01 PM

Looks like there is 17 votes for the RLP 18. That's a good start, if everyone honors their pledge.

Illka,
What would the total cost be to get the driver in your hands?

Ilkka 11-17-07 03:41 AM

Quote:

Ricci wrote: (Post 61810)
Looks like there is 17 votes for the RLP 18. That's a good start, if everyone honors their pledge.

Yes, it is starting to look really good already. :yes: I will post soon how things progress from now on.

Quote:

Illka,
What would the total cost be to get the driver in your hands?
You mean the RL-p18? I have to see what kind of deal Mike is willing to give. :) But even with some discount, it will be considerably more than you have to pay due to higher shipping and high import costs (~25%).

Ilkka 11-17-07 03:47 AM

Quote:

darrellh44 wrote: (Post 60226)
IXL-15.2.2, and the new Exodus Tempest-X.
Thanks,
Darrell

Those and the Shiva-X (and maybe XJ-18 soon)...man, there are so many interesting new drivers out there. :hissyfit: If only day would have more than 24 hours...!

Ilkka 11-17-07 04:07 AM

Quote:

darrellh44 wrote: (Post 60226)
Hi Ilkka,

I'm interested in the Q15, RSS390HF, IXL-15.2.2, and the new Exodus Tempest-X. I'll pledge 100 USD and thanks for all the hard work.

Thanks,
Darrell

So you want exactly those four in order to pledge 100 USD? So $25 each if I don't test them all, right?

darrellh44 11-19-07 08:23 PM

I'll do $100 regardless, but my highest-to-lowest preference is:

- Tempest-X
- Q15
- IXL-15.2.2
- RSS390HF

Thanks again,
Darrell

Bradley 11-27-07 05:39 PM

I'm voting for the RL-P18 for obvious reasons. :) I'm happy to contribute $25 to the cause.

May I assume the Sound Splinter poll choice is really for the RL-P18? I can't imagine why anyone would want to bother with the RL-P15. :D

Ilkka 11-28-07 06:16 PM

Quote:

Bradley wrote: (Post 64121)
I'm voting for the RL-P18 for obvious reasons. :) I'm happy to contribute $25 to the cause.

May I assume the Sound Splinter poll choice is really for the RL-P18? I can't imagine why anyone would want to bother with the RL-P15. :D

The RL-p18 it will be. :)

Blaser 11-29-07 11:48 AM

:yay:

Bradley 11-29-07 08:55 PM

Ilkka... you take Paypal, right? Is there a link to donate to "the cause"?

Ilkka 11-30-07 06:49 PM

Quote:

Bradley wrote: (Post 64643)
Ilkka... you take Paypal, right? Is there a link to donate to "the cause"?

Yes, I take Paypal. I will post a link in a few days as it seems that many drivers are getting enough donations. :yes:

At the moment it looks like at least the AVA18, Q18, RL-p18 triplet will happen. Additionally to those there may be a couple of lower prices drivers (RSS390HF, Tempest-X etc.)

Scott S 12-03-07 05:29 PM

Oh, good. :)

I will be happy to contribute to the triplet 18's. Ilkka, when you post the link for the account to send the donations, could you please post a probable date that the donations will end cause Im looking to purchase an expensive overseas ticket soon and dont want to miss the buy in either.

Thanks.

Bradley 12-03-07 05:36 PM

An expensive overseas ticket to... Finland?! :p I guess we'll know the answer if shortly thereafter a 3rd LLT materializes in Scott's house. ;)

Scott S 12-04-07 01:09 AM

Quote:

Bradley wrote: (Post 65531)
An expensive overseas ticket to... Finland?! :p I guess we'll know the answer if shortly thereafter a 3rd LLT materializes in Scott's house. ;)

Roflz!

:D

Nah, man...going to Australia for a month in Feburary. The prices keep going up so Im watching out on spendings. Up to bout $1600 now. For that price I could score another pair of RLp's .... and them some. :neener:

Ricci 01-15-08 12:59 PM

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in chipping in to get an Acoupower 18 tested, if Illka would be willing? I would for sure. It would be really interesting to see if these are all they are claimed to be. Anybody interested????

Ilkka 01-15-08 07:01 PM

Quote:

Ricci wrote: (Post 73779)
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in chipping in to get an Acoupower 18 tested, if Illka would be willing? I would for sure. It would be really interesting to see if these are all they are claimed to be. Anybody interested????

I haven't read/heard much of those. Can you tell me more? How much are they?

mike c 01-15-08 07:10 PM

what happens to the drivers after testing?

Ilkka 01-15-08 07:17 PM

Quote:

mike c wrote: (Post 73884)
what happens to the drivers after testing?

If I find something that I like a lot, I keep it, but usually I will sell them.

Ilkka 01-15-08 07:27 PM

Update

The spring is luckily closing in so I better start buying the drivers and making the enclosures. Actually I already did the first purchase. :jump:

At the moment it looks that I will test at least these drivers:

AA Ava18"
SS RL-p18"
Fi Q18"
RSS390HF 15"
Exodus Tempest-X (but if XJ-18 is soon done, then it)

I will also order a Dayton woofer tester 3 so I can test the T/S parameters of these drivers.

I will post the paypal account soon so you can start making those donations.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/ilkka/ava18.jpg