Move sub, better bass!?! - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 9 Old 07-15-08, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dr Doan

Move sub, better bass!?!

After hearing a THX guy give a short presentation about bass, I decided to move my sub. I have an SVS PB12-Plus/2 with the 12.3 drivers. It has occupied the left front corner of my 11.8 X 15' with vaulted ceilings, HT room for many months. I eq it with the on-board AudysseyXT in my Denon AVR-2708 receiver.
I moved it the the left center along the left wall of my HT room. I re-eq'd it, and, put in the obligatory Star Wars II, WOTW, and Master and Commander. Maybe I am delusional, but, the bass seems quite stronger with less overhang (bass notes that linger too long) than before. Supposedly, this is because I located The woofer at the main room node in a rectangular room. Has anyone else tried this? I don't seem to have lost any headroom, or bass extension, but, seemed to have gained clarity, and impact. I can't use REW because the cheap sound card in my laptop is almost usless for such a test,or, I would have included the before and after graphs. Dennis

L Dennis Doan, DC
Gonstead Chiropractor
IT'S THE NERVE!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

SVSound MTS-02 Fronts, MCS-02 Center, SSS-01 surrounds, SBS-02 rear surrounds, (2) SVSound SB-13 Plus Subwoofers
AS-EQ1 Sub Equalizer (WOW!)
Onkyo TX-SR707 7.2 Receiver w/Audyssey XT
Insignia Blu Ray NS-WBRDVD3
Toshiba DVD Recorder w/HDMI
Direct TV DVR HD
BenQ W5000 projector. 91" screen. 15' x 11.8' vaulted ceiling dedicated HT room w/DIY sound absorption
:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-15-08, 01:25 PM
Elite Shackster

thxgoon

Re: Move sub, better bass!?!

Nice! I tried that in my first setup with an M&K sub and found the location to be the best overall. Haven't since had a cooperative room though...

post #3 of 9 Old 07-15-08, 01:42 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

I can relate to what you're saying. My first 2 subs were sonotubes in the front left and right corners. I ended up moving them a bit more then half way down the left and right side walls. Big improvement!

We're all in this together!

post #4 of 9 Old 07-15-08, 02:06 PM
Shackster
Steve

What is a room node?
post #5 of 9 Old 07-15-08, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dr Doan

A Room node is an area of a room where a particular frequency of a bass signal causes the room to pressurize at predictable points in the room. This causes that spot or spots in the room to accentuate that frequency greatly. If you have a working subwoofer, play a low note that you can hear, and while it is playing, walk around your room and notice that there will be places in the room that will play the note very loudly, and other places where the note is almost absent. These are the room nodes (namely, the places where the sound is the loudest). Generally, the most prominent room node is along the walls at 1/2 the length of the wall. It is a function of the length of the bass notes wave, which is several feet at 20HZ. This is why you don't sit in the exact center of the room. That is where the note will be almost absent. Hope this helps, Dennis

L Dennis Doan, DC
Gonstead Chiropractor
IT'S THE NERVE!

SVSound MTS-02 Fronts, MCS-02 Center, SSS-01 surrounds, SBS-02 rear surrounds, (2) SVSound SB-13 Plus Subwoofers
Direct TV DVR HD
BenQ W5000 projector. 91" screen. 15' x 11.8' vaulted ceiling dedicated HT room w/DIY sound absorption
:
post #6 of 9 Old 07-18-08, 10:08 AM
Alex

Great to hear. Corner placement can work great in a lot of rooms, but certainly not all and trial and error placement is a great way to find the best sounding position. EQ can fix peaks quickly and easily, but if there's a dip then moving the sub and acoustic treatments are the best ways to go. Sounds like your much happier with the performance and that's what counts ;^)
post #7 of 9 Old 07-18-08, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dr Doan

I should point out to anyone who does put the sub in the center of any wall that it will take a significant increase in power to get the bass to achieve the same level as corner placement. Since I have a small room and an atomic powered subwoofer, it presents no problem to achieve the correct levels as before.

L Dennis Doan, DC
Gonstead Chiropractor
IT'S THE NERVE!

Direct TV DVR HD
:
post #8 of 9 Old 07-18-08, 01:17 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Quote:
I should point out to anyone who does put the sub in the center of any wall that it will take a significant increase in power to get the bass to achieve the same level as corner placement.
Not always. Mine were dead in the corners and came to life when I moved them to the side walls. Definitely a room interaction issue.

We're all in this together!

post #9 of 9 Old 07-26-08, 05:08 AM
Shackster

weeZ

I did the same thing back when I had plus/2 back in '03 and has been mid-wall configured with each upgrade. In my room corner placement was boomy and uneven sounding, peaks and nulls everywhere. I moved the sub 6in at a time till I got the flattest response and best sound. The sweet spot was 8.5ft from the corner.

Keith

Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK, calibrated using Milori Colorfacts
Pioneer Elite sc-05
Oppo BDP-83
Toshiba HD-A1
Sony PS3
Artison Portrait LCR
Artison Portrait LRS surrounds
SV Sound Dual PB13 Ultras