Worth the extra money - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #1 of 16 Old 02-21-16, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Worth the extra money

Is the SB13 ultra worth the extra money over the SB2000.How good is the SB2000 for a medium size room.

Last edited by jrfan; 02-21-16 at 06:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-21-16, 07:17 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Worth the extra money

What would you say is medium?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And also, if you have the money for the ultra, are you willing to spend it?

Last edited by willis7469; 02-21-16 at 07:24 PM.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-21-16, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: Worth the extra money

15 x 17

post #4 of 16 Old 02-21-16, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Been searching and svs subs are in every best sub search.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-22-16, 08:17 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I have a PB13u and my room is 17x28 and it fills it nicely. You would not be sorry upgrading to the PB13u

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #6 of 16 Old 02-22-16, 03:14 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

I also have the PB13U, bought it because I did not want to upgrade later. I bought it during its pre-release sale and have enjoyed it since. SVS will let you try it in your home, if you aren't satisfied...go all the way! You can call them & discuss your expectations & they wont try & over sell you, great customer service.

You can also look at http://www.powersoundaudio.com/ they have some fine offerings as well. In case you didn't know, Tom started the original SVS company, sold it & came back later to start PSA. If you ask me, he has stepped up his game with his new products. If I was buying now, he would be right up at the top in my wish list.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-22-16, 04:30 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Well, he did say sb13u, not pb13u. However, for a 15x17(8' ceiling?), not knowing if it's open anywhere is say at least a PB2k, as the SB2k would be more suited to a 1500cuft space. I'm assuming 8' ceilings for about 2000cuft. IMO, in staying with svs he should do a PB/PC2k, minimum, since it seems like he's wondering about being "worth it". I'd personally start with a plus model, and if he wants sealed, the ultra is the only choice. Tonto is right. In home trial is a great way to decide for sure, as is calling SVS directly.
Lots of unanswered variables too. Movies/music/volume level, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 16 Old 02-22-16, 07:12 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
jrfan wrote: View Post
Is the SB13 ultra worth the extra money over the SB2000.How good is the SB2000 for a medium size room.
No, but the HSU VTF-15H MK2 is!

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
post #9 of 16 Old 02-24-16, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I will call SVS. Sounds Like they have great CS. The SB13U is a little tough on the wife factor. The SB 2000 is more wife friendly I mostly listen mostly to music 40 percent movies. Whats your take on ported or sealed for toons. My room is going to be tough.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-25-16, 01:30 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
jrfan wrote: View Post
I will call SVS. Sounds Like they have great CS. The SB13U is a little tough on the wife factor. The SB 2000 is more wife friendly I mostly listen mostly to music 40 percent movies. Whats your take on ported or sealed for toons. My room is going to be tough.
Well, ported vs sealed is never an easy topic. IMO, for "toons"(cartoons/movies), or "tunes"(musical ones), it comes down to quality of the driver, enclosure size(appropriateness for the driver), and integration with the mains. I prefer ported for their efficiency. They'll have greater output until you get below port tuning. sealed subs have a more gradual roll off slope, but they require much more power, and excursion to match a ported subs output. They typically start to roll off a little higher too. If your mostly into music, an sb2k MIGHT be enough, but my hunch is not. I had an sb2k in my system (with 2 ported cylinders), and while it was an amazing sub for it's size, it just couldn't provide enough output to be meaningful.(I have too much airspace). The short version is both designs can be musical. As long as the design, and materials are solid. I still think(by guessing your budget, and WAF) a PC12plus will give you musicality, power, and a smaller footprint(16" diameter). I've also been window shopping at Rhythmik. I hope you can follow my post, lol. I wrote it over the period of about an hour, and while multitasking. aye carumba...