SVSound MBS-02 Speaker Review: Discussion Thread - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 24 Old 01-22-11, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dr Doan

SVSound MBS-02 Speaker Review: Discussion Thread

SVSound MBS-02 Speaker Review

For the Full Review: Click Here!

Summary: The best word I would use to describe the MBS-02's is TRANSPARENT. They are clearly the best speakers I have ever had in my room. I suspect they would blossom to an even higher level of sophistication if fed high end equipment. However, with my humble Onkyo receiver, Kimber Kable, and off the shelf Panasonic DVD player, they are truly a joy to listen to. Whether you have basic stuff, or top notch gear, you'll be glad you didn't spend too much on some overpriced glitzy speakers that can't deliver what is paramount, which is faithful reproduction of recorded media. The MBS-02's are decorative, solidly built, adaptable, forgiving, sonically accurate, dynamic, and worthy of commanding a much higher price.

Considering their quality to price ratio, I would give them 5 stars all around.

For the Full Review: Click Here!

L Dennis Doan, DC
Gonstead Chiropractor
IT'S THE NERVE!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

SVSound MTS-02 Fronts, MCS-02 Center, SSS-01 surrounds, SBS-02 rear surrounds, (2) SVSound SB-13 Plus Subwoofers
AS-EQ1 Sub Equalizer (WOW!)
Onkyo TX-SR707 7.2 Receiver w/Audyssey XT
Insignia Blu Ray NS-WBRDVD3
Toshiba DVD Recorder w/HDMI
Direct TV DVR HD
BenQ W5000 projector. 91" screen. 15' x 11.8' vaulted ceiling dedicated HT room w/DIY sound absorption
:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-31-11, 09:16 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
re: SVSound MBS-02 Speaker Review: Discussion Thread

Thanks Dennis, Thats a great review and it once again proves that SVS is not just a speaker manufacturer of "normal" quality speakers. They clearly put allot of thought into their design.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #3 of 24 Old 01-31-11, 03:43 PM
Senior Shackster

great review Denis, wish I was in your shoes.. hey if you ever think of upgrading to a total M-Series package.. I would be humble enough to take a few of your current S seriers speakers off you
I have really grown to love my S series speakers and could only imagine what the M series must sound like.. Oh and there is mention of an L series as well ... one could only dream of what those will sound link

post #4 of 24 Old 02-01-11, 12:55 AM
Senior Shackster

Tufelhundin

Well written indeed, I have yet to hear the 02's but I was very impressed with the 01's, enough so to consider replacing my current Rocket setup to the M Series. Your thoughts and review was read with great interest....now I'm pretty much even more convinced to go that route.

Thanks for taking the time for the writeup.

Samsung 46" LCD/LED, Oppo BDP-83, Wii, PS2, Squeezebox Duet, Onkyo TX-NR1007, Sherwood Newcastle 965A, SVS AS-EQ1, SVS PBU 13 Rosenut x 2, Rocket Onix RS450 Rosewood x 4 Rocket Onix RS200 Rosewood "Bigfoot", Rocket Launch Pad x 4, MU-C Center Speaker Stand Auralax Gramma's x 2
post #5 of 24 Old 02-01-11, 12:56 PM
Shackster
Bill

Well done Dennis, although somewhat cruel. I am just getting to the point of being able to justify the purchase of the S-series and now I want the M series. The grass is always more transparent on the other side.
post #6 of 24 Old 02-03-11, 10:53 AM
Senior Shackster
Doug

Thanks for the very informative review! I'd love to A/B audition these speakers with Asend Sierras. They are at the same price point and are similar in other ways.

I have one little nit with your review. You mention the Beatles recorded left and right with no overlap, a method you categorized as "cheesy". Actually, George Martin sent 2 channel masters to Capital Records in the USA. He assumed they would take these tapes and mix down to mono for the master. Instead, Capital decided to release the recordings as "stereo", much to the horror of George Martin and the Beatles. In addition, Capital (Dave Dexter) added in a bunch of reverb to better match "American tastes". That was truly cheesy.

The problem is that I grew up listening to the Capital versions of the Beatles catalog and although I've replaced them with the correctly mixed EMI Parlophone releases, the "wrong" way sounds right to me.
post #7 of 24 Old 02-04-11, 07:51 AM
Senior Shackster

Dwight

Great review Dennis. I have the MBS-01s and completely agree they are great speakers for the investment.
I also have them in Rosenut. The fit and finish is top tier

Mains- Goldenear Triton One's
Center Channel- Goldenear Super Centre XL
Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50's
Back Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50c's
Atmos -4 x Goldenear HTR 7000's
Amps- Bryston 4Bsst2/Emotiva XPA-5/2 x Marantz M7025's
Processor-Marantz AV7703 Preamp
Projector- Sony VPL-HW55ES
Screen- Elunevision 140 inch 4K Audio Weave
Bluray/Universal player-OPPO 105D
post #8 of 24 Old 02-04-11, 07:23 PM
Senior Shackster
steve1616

Dennis,

Have you had other high end speakers in the past to compare these MTS-02 speakers to. By chance have you ever compared them to the NHT classic speakers. I am wondering because I am interested in both of these speakers. I have heard the STS-02 speakers and they would compare sound wise with the NHT ST-4 speakers. Not super high end, but good for the money spent. I just kind of wonder where the MTS-02 or MBS-02 speakers fit in. I have a PB13/Ultra so I don't necessarily need big tower speakers.
post #9 of 24 Old 02-07-11, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dr Doan

I haven't had any new speakers except the SVSound SB-01 series for several years now. All I did was to go to a couple of high-end stores and listen to their speakers. But, I am confident you will be pleased if you decide on the SVSound MB-Series. Dennis

L Dennis Doan, DC
Gonstead Chiropractor
IT'S THE NERVE!

SVSound MTS-02 Fronts, MCS-02 Center, SSS-01 surrounds, SBS-02 rear surrounds, (2) SVSound SB-13 Plus Subwoofers
Direct TV DVR HD
BenQ W5000 projector. 91" screen. 15' x 11.8' vaulted ceiling dedicated HT room w/DIY sound absorption
:
post #10 of 24 Old 02-07-11, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dr Doan

Doug, thanks for that insite into the Beatles recordings. Great info. Dennis

L Dennis Doan, DC
Gonstead Chiropractor
IT'S THE NERVE!

Direct TV DVR HD
: