SVS SB13-Ultra Owners Thread - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #11 of 68 Old 02-17-13, 02:32 PM
Shackster

My System
Re: SVS SB13-Ultra Owners Thread

The rubber feet under the SB-13U is 12.5" across the front center to center of the feet
And 13" deep center to center of the feet

So i would say the pad under it should be at least 13"x13.5"
And the auralex subdude 15 will fit perfect under it since it's 15"x15"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 68 Old 02-17-13, 03:30 PM

My System

Thanks all for responses. This is what I got from Ed at svs:
"According to the CAD print, the feet are 320 mm apart along the width dimension, and 340 mm apart along the length dimension. The overall cabinet dims are 440 mm x 440 mm. So figure 60 mm inboard on the width and 50 mm inboard on the length.

The Auralex SubDude and GRAMMA products have been well received by our customers and I can recommend them in general. There is a SubDude HD also, which is nicer finished."
post #13 of 68 Old 02-18-13, 08:43 AM
Senior Shackster

I've had my SB13 Ultra for three weeks now but unfortunately, its difficult for me to give a definitive opinion on its performance in my system and in my room because 1) my Yamaha RX-V3800 AVR has developed an issue in which it will sound normal (good bass performance) on some days and then on other days sound like there's no bass in anything I play or as if some of the music/soundtrack is missing (because it is, the AVR is faulty apparently). 2) I'm not a firm believer in Yamaha's YPAO auto calibration software. I'm not sure it does the best job but I haven't used any other like program so I don't have a point of reference on that point. I'm trying to find a good surround processor to mate with amp separates to replace the AVR but until then, I'm stuck with it.

Anyway, in spite of that issue, when the bass is right, the SB13 has had moments in my system when it has provided some real punch. While playing Black Ops II on 'Nuketown', when the nuke goes off at the end, my floor, walls and windows tremble in its wake. I don't think the 13 is perfectly tuned to my system/set up due to my AVR's fault condition as well as YPAO's lackluster performance setting things up.

While watching TRON in 3D, the SB13 did good justice to that movie's soundtrack with bass that was neither too lean nor too thick but I really think that if I knew more about manual sub tuning (to my system/setup I mean) or if I had a better auto cal solution that did a better job setting levels, EQ, delays etc. the movie could have sounded much better still. I think the sub is capable of much more definition and texture than I'm getting at the moment.

I have Paradigm Studio 100 V.4 mains, a matching CC690 center channel all crossed over in the AVR at 60Hz as recommended by SVS's 'Merlin' software'. Unfortunately for me, I don't know as much about manually tuning the sub to my system for the absolute best performance as some others on this forum so I don't think I'm hearing all the performance the SB13 is capable of.

I hope anyone else who has one or has one on the way is able to wring every ounce of performance from it.

post #14 of 68 Old 02-20-13, 08:20 PM
Senior Shackster
steve1616

I guess from looking at all of these comments, I should get a second PB13-Ultra so I can try it in sealed mode. I still have my doubts that I would prefer the sealed sound, but any excuse for a second sub is good in my opinion.
post #15 of 68 Old 03-06-13, 05:10 PM
Shackster
Luke

My System

Hello everyone.....I'm new to the forum. I have dual SB13 Ultra's and have a set up question. To get both subs integrated in there current location...are these the steps?

Step 1. Using the pink noise from the avr, set the first sub (which is furthest away) to 75db's, phase to 0 and then switch it off.

Step 2. Second sub...Phase at 0. level match the sub first and then adjust phase until I get max gain.

Step 3. Then run Audyssey.

It this right? Thanks for the help.
post #16 of 68 Old 03-06-13, 05:50 PM
SVSound
Ed

Quote:
luke202 wrote: View Post
Hello everyone.....I'm new to the forum. I have dual SB13 Ultra's and have a set up question. To get both subs integrated in there current location...are these the steps?

Step 1. Using the pink noise from the avr, set the first sub (which is furthest away) to 75db's, phase to 0 and then switch it off.

Step 2. Second sub...Phase at 0. level match the sub first and then adjust phase until I get max gain.

Step 3. Then run Audyssey.

It this right? Thanks for the help.
This is the correct approach for dual subs which are different distances to the listening position. The sub which is closer needs some phase delay to blend optimally with the sub which is farther away. Then the single subwoofer distance in Audyssey will be more valid for both subwoofers.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #17 of 68 Old 03-06-13, 06:08 PM
Shackster
Luke

My System

Thanks Ed. At first I used a 200hz warble tone and not the avr's pink noise. It didn't work out so well. I did because it was easier to read the spl meter. I have discovered that you have to sit there a bit and watch the meter with the pink noise to get an average.
post #18 of 68 Old 03-07-13, 08:18 AM
SVSound
Ed

Quote:
luke202 wrote: View Post
Thanks Ed. At first I used a 200hz warble tone and not the avr's pink noise. It didn't work out so well. I did because it was easier to read the spl meter. I have discovered that you have to sit there a bit and watch the meter with the pink noise to get an average.
Yes, I set the SPL meter to Slow/C and some of the newer models allow you to obtain an average reading. Usually the swing/delta between the most and least optimal phase settings is about 4-5 dB in my experience.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #19 of 68 Old 03-23-13, 07:01 PM
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco

My System

Well I am happy to say that I bought the SB13 Ultra that I reviewed a while back and am proud to be in the club!
hyghwayman likes this.

Regards,
Dale Rasco

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas A. Edison

Dale Rasco and

post #20 of 68 Old 03-23-13, 07:16 PM
Senior Shackster
steve1616

It is awesome that you can join the SVS sub club, but now the next question begins. When are you getting your second SB13-Ultra.