SVS SB13-Ultra Owners Thread - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #21 of 68 Old 03-23-13, 07:20 PM
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco

My System
Re: SVS SB13-Ultra Owners Thread

That's evil Steve, and I should be ready in about three months. I just need my bride to look the other direction for a while!

Regards,
Dale Rasco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas A. Edison

Dale Rasco and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 68 Old 03-24-13, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Dale Rasco wrote: View Post
Well I am happy to say that I bought the SB13 Ultra that I reviewed a while back and am proud to be in the club!
Congrats on your purchase Dale.

Loving mine and every member of the local audiophile group that I belong to that's come over to listen has been very impressed. I always point them out to your review.
post #23 of 68 Old 03-24-13, 10:55 PM
Senior Shackster
steve1616

Have you guys ever seen an SVS sub reviewed badly? That is pretty remarkable that every review seems to be so good. It also shows consistency and quality control when so many products seem to lack that in this day and age.

post #24 of 68 Old 03-25-13, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
steve1616 wrote: View Post
Have you guys ever seen an SVS sub reviewed badly? That is pretty remarkable that every review seems to be so good. It also shows consistency and quality control when so many products seem to lack that in this day and age.
Not only the reviews of the subs themselves, but also the glowing reviews of customer service- pre and post sale!

Very responsive and knowledgeable, I've heard they even respond on the week-ends! Great company to deal with.
post #25 of 68 Old 03-25-13, 05:55 PM
Senior Shackster

Tufelhundin

I hate to say it but they do :0), Saturday morning "early" I sent in an email to Tech Service actually to Jack whom I normally chat with, Ed responded through out the day & we emailed each other back and forth, Sunday morning "poof" Doug is emailing me to follow up.

I have been a fan of SVS for a long time and I actually used to live in Ohio and visited the shop in Girard a couple of times and they have supported me in Italy twice.

I remember back in 2002/3 timeframe I spent a lot of time with emails and phone calls with Tom V trying to get a PCU sent to me in Italy...it was going to cost a fortune in shipping , LOL, but a lot cheaper then PB2-Plus.

Great Company and its good to see the tradition carries on, it was fun going down in the basement in Girard chatting with the guys that put the beast together.

Samsung 46" LCD/LED, Oppo BDP-83, Wii, PS2, Squeezebox Duet, Onkyo TX-NR1007, Sherwood Newcastle 965A, SVS AS-EQ1, SVS PBU 13 Rosenut x 2, Rocket Onix RS450 Rosewood x 4 Rocket Onix RS200 Rosewood "Bigfoot", Rocket Launch Pad x 4, MU-C Center Speaker Stand Auralax Gramma's x 2
post #26 of 68 Old 04-09-13, 07:05 PM
Senior Shackster
steve1616

Quote:
gordog wrote: View Post
Not only the reviews of the subs themselves, but also the glowing reviews of customer service- pre and post sale!

Very responsive and knowledgeable, I've heard they even respond on the week-ends! Great company to deal with.
Yes, the customer service is awesome, and that should factor in more heavily than it does for most people. You just have to get burned once to learn your lesson.

To illustrate my point, I will give a brief example that just happened to my brother. I was going to help him build his first computer. He ordered an Asus motherboard from Newegg. We got it out of the package, and I inspected it for him because it is a pain to find a problem after the product is installed. I have assembled many computers for people so I know what to look for. I noticed that the motherboard socket had a couple of bent pins. The pins were bent in a way that no human could possibly do because they were bent all the way back, and it didn't affect any other pins. You would need a microscope and a doctors scalpel to do this without affecting the other pins. I figured that this was such a clear case of a defective product that there would be no hassel getting the motherboard RMA'd. Newegg said that they couldn't do anything for us because their policy doesn't cover bent pins even if it wasn't our fault. They said to contact Asus directly. We contacted Asus, and their exact reply was, " our motherboards do not ever ship out with damage to the pins." They didn't even want to see the picture we took of the motherboard. They didn't care that a human couldn't do this damage. They are simply not going to stand behind their product. My brother paid over $200 to have a paper weight and there is nothing he can do about it.

I wanted to really drive home this point because the same can happen with speakers. If you are having a hard time deciding on a speaker or sub, SVS's customer service should make it a no brainer. What happens when you pay $2000 for a sub from a company that may or may not have good customer service if something goes wrong. SVS completely takes this worry away.
post #27 of 68 Old 04-09-13, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

All good points. I am surprised however at Newegg and especially Asus! Asus is known for very good quality products and with the instant spread of information (read complaints in this case) over the internet, this cannot be good for their reputation.

I'd write them again and try to escalate the issue to a higher level than the customer service person at the front desk.
post #28 of 68 Old 04-09-13, 07:26 PM
Shackster

My System

Sounds like you should of just RMA'd it saying it does not work/dead on arrival ..or you probably still can as long as you don't talk to the same person
post #29 of 68 Old 04-09-13, 07:52 PM
Senior Shackster
steve1616

I have already escallated this, and got nothing from it. On neweggs side I kept asking for a manager, but I felt like they were just passing the conversation to their friend that probably sits next to them. They handed the online chat off to 3 different people that were supposed to be managers and even managers to the managers. I even got an RMA and sent the board back to Newegg. They sent it back and wouldn't help. One newegg representative even claimed that the board looked used. This really made me mad because if the board was used, they sent it to me that way. When they sent the board back to me, it had even more bent pins then when I sent it in. These were actually damaged by newegg. They didn't realize that I am a bit paranoid and took pictures of the shipping process and the motherboard as I packed it away accompanied by time frame pictures to go along with the shipping time frames, and these pictures showed that these pins weren't bent when I shipped it back to newegg. I sent these pictures to Newegg and they didn't know what to do, so they offered a $30 rebate towards a new motherboard, but I had to eat the cost of the original $210 motherboard. I actually think Newegg put physical damage on the motherboard thinking that I wouldn't be able to prove it. I don't think newegg is the same company they used to be. I have had some of my own items that I have ordered from them that had seals broken on the packages. They looked used to me. I never said anything about these items because they always seemed to work, but I did always wonder if I was getting refurb units. I did buy a video card from them also that was dead on arrival, and they wouldn't take care of it because I sent in a mail in rebate, and part of the packaging was gone because I had to send it in for proof of purchase. Thankfully the video card was an EVGA and they replaced it fast.

As far as Asus goes, I have used their products the most, and I have always liked their products the best, but after some research it seems that they have a long history of not taking care of their customers. I went through forums and noticed many people saying that Asus would not take care of RMA's, and that Asus would even reply on neweggs website that they will take care of a customer to make them look good, and then ignore the customer emails. These kind of businesses should not be allowed to keep doing this to customers.

I am almost dumbfounded that this can even happen to a consumer in America. I had a friend that was from Hong Kong. He told me that you could buy computer components for just pennies on the dollar in his homeland, but they weren't guaranteed to work. He said that in America, you can rest easy because everyone guarantees the product, but it will cost more. It sure seems that this American policy is starting to lose out with some companies.
post #30 of 68 Old 04-10-13, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Disappointing for sure and a cautionary tale for all.

Rest assured, based on all comments I've heard and in my own experience, SVS will take care of you!

I think if a competitor's sub performed similarly for a similar price, I'd still go with SVS because of this!