SVS SB13-Ultra Owners Thread - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #41 of 68 Old 06-11-13, 02:11 PM
Shackster

Re: SVS SB13-Ultra Owners Thread

Well, i have owned the SB13-ultra since friday now, and its absolutely brilliant(Sorry my bad english, im norwegian, and this is written in a jiffy). It blend perfect inn my mainroom system that contains B&W CM9 and NAD C390 (hurray for bassmanagement). To be honest, the BW DB1 don't do it compared to this, not that DB1 is bad, but in my ears, the SB13-ultra could cost MORE than DB1, and still be my favorite.

The DB1 blended perfecly in to, but the headroom was so little, and i felt a lack of controltrouble when i hitted the volume meter up. With the SB13 i can lay the Definitive Technology Supercube reference experience behind me. OK, it aint having the BAD SLAM og punsh as the Supercube, but its much "cleaner" and hitting hard without bottom out. Im in heavy SQ wise. . SPL is a super bonus. Its like SB13-ultra got all the plus sides of both the DB1 and Supercube, and the summary of it is and EXCELLENT subwoofer. The sound is a bit more "fatter" than mine Ken Kreisell 12012 (that stays in my dedicated hifi room.) but its soooo good.

Design is superb, mine is in Black oak, and in my eyes its more exclusive than the piano black (that looks more plastic like in my opinion). The down side is the grille, its buttugly . Give us the same grill option like the PB13-ultra owners has, to buy an additional grill in fabric.

Im planning to buy 2 more of this to setup in my HIFI/theater room, instead of 2 more KK 12012 (the cost difference aint worth it i think. KK is perfection, but its costs, and sound aint just about bass ). Ill be back .

My HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION. This is HIGHEND bass, to lowcost price!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 68 Old 06-11-13, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Wow, thanks for the review and comparison to your other high-end subs! Nice to know it can keep up or exceed your others and is good enough to consider over your Ken Kreisel 12012.

Keep us posted re any other impressions you may have once you've spent a bit more time with the SB-13 Ultra and it continues to break in.
post #43 of 68 Old 07-19-13, 01:01 PM
Senior Shackster

Donnie

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to hyghwayman

Since receiving my SB13-Ultra in May I'm finding it hard to get on this pc and HTS, watching way too many movies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

F.S. SB13-Ultra

post #44 of 68 Old 07-19-13, 01:28 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
hyghwayman wrote: View Post
Since receiving my SB13-Ultra in May I'm finding it hard to get on this pc and HTS, watching way too many movies
Man, since my tinnitus started in May I've cut back on movies but slowly watching more. It's something I love and with the KK 12012 it's even a better experience. I'm sure you feel the same about your SVS.
post #45 of 68 Old 07-22-13, 05:16 AM
Shackster

Im still amazed of the performance of my SB13-ultra . I simply love it! But, with great power, comes great responsibility... neighbours.... :P.
post #46 of 68 Old 07-22-13, 06:45 AM
Senior Shackster

Donnie

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to hyghwayman

Quote:
asere wrote: View Post
Man, since my tinnitus started in May I've cut back on movies but slowly watching more. It's something I love and with the KK 12012 it's even a better experience. I'm sure you feel the same about your SVS.
Every time I sit down and fire up my system

Quote:
Quote:
skorob wrote: View Post
Well, i have owned the SB13-ultra since friday now, and its absolutely brilliant(Sorry my bad english, im norwegian, and this is written in a jiffy). It blend perfect inn my mainroom system that contains B&W CM9 and NAD C390 (hurray for bassmanagement). To be honest, the BW DB1 don't do it compared to this, not that DB1 is bad, but in my ears, the SB13-ultra could cost MORE than DB1, and still be my favorite.

Design is superb, mine is in Black oak, and in my eyes its more exclusive than the piano black (that looks more plastic like in my opinion). The down side is the grille, its buttugly . Give us the same grill option like the PB13-ultra owners has, to buy an additional grill in fabric.

My HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION. This is HIGHEND bass, to lowcost price!
Quote:
skorob wrote: View Post
Im still amazed of the performance of my SB13-ultra . I simply love it! But, with great power, comes great responsibility... neighbours.... :P.
Welcome to the club skorob
While I've never owned anything like this sub before I do know good bass and agree with you on the quality to cost of this amazing little beast. The grill on the other hand to me is beautiful and what first caught my attention. I love how it matches my 1st gen Pio speakers

F.S. SB13-Ultra

post #47 of 68 Old 07-22-13, 05:25 PM
Shackster

Aha... NICE setup .
post #48 of 68 Old 07-29-13, 05:01 AM
Shackster
Ken

We finally have a distributor in NZ that supplies SVS. I just ordered my Sb13 Ultra. It should be in the country in a couple of weeks. Cant wait.

Im upgrading from a DIY 350RMS 2x 15" setup which cost me less than $500NZD all up so i cant wait for the quality jump.

Pioneer LX87 THXU2 | Klipsch RF35 Mains | Klipsch RC62II Centre | Klipsch RS52 Surrounds | SVS SB13-Ultra Subwoofer | Pioneer BDP-150 Bluray / SACD | Tivo320HD | WDTV | Apple TV Gen 3 | Xbox360 | Sony V5500 40 LCD
post #49 of 68 Old 08-15-13, 06:35 PM
Shackster
gary jp4

My System

I ordered an SB13-Ultra Tuesday 8/13.

I have been without a receiver for a few years. Just recently got things going again with a used Integra 50.1, and my old ADS L810's. I still need to set up the rear channels.
I have been researching sub-woofers for a month or two now reading all the reviews and threads. I don't mind colored bass, but I like it tight and articulate and can't stand when it is muddy and bloated. I talked to Darren at SVS a few times. My room is less then 1500 SF. He recommended dual SB12-NSD's which would have saved some money. He said I would get 95% of the performance of one SB13-Ultra with two SB12-NSD's and better room coverage.

I decided to go with one SB13-Ultra. I got the black oak. Perhaps another one is in the future, and maybe I will have a bigger room at some point. Seating is not optimum, with a sofa on one side of the room and love seat against the back wall opposite the sound stage, so seating is around the edges on two sides unless I set up a chair in the middle. We will see if I get coverage.

Can't wait to try it out. Should be here tomorrow!

Edit 8/16 AM: It's out for delivery!

Integra 50.1 AV Receiver | 2 ADS L810 Front| B&W CC6 center | B&W LM-1 surrounds | Samsung UN55ES6500FX2A LCD Smart TV | Samsung BD35900 | Harman Kardon 8400 CD player

Read more:

Last edited by Gary jp4; 08-23-13 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Sub is on Fedex truck, out for delevery!
post #50 of 68 Old 08-23-13, 10:02 AM
Shackster
gary jp4

My System

Been messing with it for a week now. So far I am slightly disapointed. It is not quite doing what I think it should. Haven't had much time to work with it yet. Basicly just ran audesy. Changed some settings, including various cross over frequencies, and ran again. Still needs a lot of work I am sure. I think I have a spike in the low frecquency some where making it slightly boomy and weak in other areas. Hard to tell when it is source material or system because some sources sound a lot better then others. Overall it sounds pretty good though.

I listened to some music, watched Top Gun BD and Avatar BD. I was happier with HT sources then with music.
Haven't tried moving the sub around much, but don't have many options either. I have it under the LH front speeker. ADS L810's are basicly very large bookshelf speekers.

Integra 50.1 AV Receiver | 2 ADS L810 Front| B&W CC6 center | B&W LM-1 surrounds | Samsung UN55ES6500FX2A LCD Smart TV | Samsung BD35900 | Harman Kardon 8400 CD player

Read more: