Mixing Ported Subs with Sealed Subs in a HT? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 15 Old 01-17-14, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System
Mixing Ported Subs with Sealed Subs in a HT?

Background
I currently run a 11.2 setup in my home theater (notated in my signature line and equipment list). For subs I have two SVS PB12-NSD which are placed directly left and right of my Front Center channel.

I am considering adding two SVS SB-2000 in the rear of the room in the left and right corners.

The specs for the SVS PB12-NSD
12" woofer
4" ported
400 watt STA-400D Sledge
18-150 Hz +/-3dB

The specs for the SVS SB-2000
12" woofer
sealed
500 watt STA-500D Sledge
19-220 Hz +/-3dB

The reason I am looking at the SVS SB-2000 is due to size restrictions/placement in room. They would be in the back corners in close proximity to a side and rear wall. I primarily use the room for Movies.

What down falls / upsides do you see with using the SVS SB-2000 sub in this setting. Placement/acoustics etc.

Thanks in advance

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-17-14, 12:01 PM
Senior Shackster

Rich

Re: Mixing Ported Subs with Sealed Subs in a HT?

I am glad that you asked this question. I have the same question. Adding to it, would it be a problem mixing the SVS PD12-NSD with one of their newer Ported Subs?
post #3 of 15 Old 01-17-14, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
Greenster wrote: View Post
I am glad that you asked this question. I have the same question. Adding to it, would it be a problem mixing the SVS PD12-NSD with one of their newer Ported Subs?
Glad to help out

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #4 of 15 Old 01-17-14, 12:15 PM
Senior Shackster
steve1616

I contacted SVS a while back and they said it was definitely better to match same subs. That is obviously the best way, but I kind of wonder if a good eq solves this problem a little.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-17-14, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
steve1616 wrote: View Post
I contacted SVS a while back and they said it was definitely better to match same subs. That is obviously the best way, but I kind of wonder if a good eq solves this problem a little.
So SVS response kinda be akin to the idea of using all the same series speakers in your setup to maintain a certain acoustical tone?

Would there be an adverse effect of mixing these two subs, degrading of response in room.
Response wise both the subs seem to be rated similar 19Hz and 18Hz, and have the same brand drivers Sledge.

post #6 of 15 Old 02-06-14, 07:24 AM
Senior Shackster

Andy

I recently contacted SVS regarding adding another couple subs to my dual PB-2000 setup. I asked how sealed subs would work and they said it's not recommended because the tuning aspects vary greatly between ported and sealed. However, he said mixing subs in the same line would be very compatible, ie 1000 mixed with 2000 series.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-06-14, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
hockeypucks wrote: View Post
I recently contacted SVS regarding adding another couple subs to my dual PB-2000 setup. I asked how sealed subs would work and they said it's not recommended because the tuning aspects vary greatly between ported and sealed. However, he said mixing subs in the same line would be very compatible, ie 1000 mixed with 2000 series.
The issue is I only have space for a 14 x14 sub approximately.
Hmm...this creates an issue as that would only leave me with the options of:

SB12-NSD
23-270Hz
STA-400D

and

PC12-NSD
18-130Hz
STA-400D

The specs on the PC12-NSD are closer to a match with my PB12-NSD but I'm not sure I like down firing subs.....I have had one before, I think it has a lot to do with were I would be placing it and the surface placed on.

post #8 of 15 Old 02-06-14, 07:14 PM
Senior Shackster

Andy

You'd still be mixing ported with sealed though which is something SVS told me to avoid. Space isn't an issue for me so I have no problem adding more ported but I liked the little bit of savings I would get with sealed.

I'd ask SVS what they think but perhaps you could add another sealed? Those dimensions are tough to get a ported one aside from the cylinders. I also prefer a front firing woofer though they say it doesn't matter since bass is omnidirectional.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-06-14, 07:16 PM
Senior Shackster

Andy

Sorry, I re read your initial post and realize you already had ported not sealed. Hmm it's a tricky thing to find more subs in your size requirements.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-07-14, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

HockeyPucks...I appreciate your thoughts and input. I think for the time being I will just pass on adding more subs. For two reasons, with current options I don't know that I would have substantial gains and I don't exactly have money burning a hole in my pocket.