Can I connect this subwoofer - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 01-25-15, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Can I connect this subwoofer

Hi, How are you? I have a RCA RT2911 1000w Home Theater System. I'm not satisfied with its subwoofer. So I would like to replace it for this 360 RMX Samsung PS-WZ510 subwoofer (3ohms). The RCA subwoofer is 210 RMX with 3ohms. Could I damage the Home Theater by running the samsung subwoofer?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-26-15, 05:41 AM
Elite Shackster

Mr. Rabbit

Yes, technically, you can replace the one for the other. I wouldn't expect too much of a performance increase; both are passive subs and both will get their power from the head unit.

Honestly if you're looking for better sound; you should start looking into some kind of and AVR/speaker package. Onkyo and Denon both made a good starter system. The advantage to these systems is that they are modular and you'll be able to upgrade parts as you see fit.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-26-15, 08:36 AM
Shackster

My System
Re: Can I connect this subwoofer

If you're somewhat satisfied with your surround system, and upgrading the sub is most important to you, try a powered sub. If you buy a substantial sub, you can still use it later when upgrading the rest of your system. Since your receiver has no LFE, sub out, you'd need a powered sub with speaker level input. you can find basic connection advice several places, like http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2eJQwpq...2007/0327.html

Lee J

post #4 of 6 Old 01-28-15, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
rab-byte wrote: View Post
Yes, technically, you can replace the one for the other. I wouldn't expect too much of a performance increase; both are passive subs and both will get their power from the head unit.

Honestly if you're looking for better sound; you should start looking into some kind of and AVR/speaker package. Onkyo and Denon both made a good starter system. The advantage to these systems is that they are modular and you'll be able to upgrade parts as you see fit.
Thanks for your recomendation. I would try later on to buy an AVR System. I was looking on the internet for a better sub, and i found this one which i think is better than the samsung one. Should I replace it for this one. Or I should stay with the samsung one?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005CK...=AC_SY200_QL40

Thanks
post #5 of 6 Old 01-28-15, 09:57 PM
Elite Shackster

Mr. Rabbit

Look for a sub that has both RCA and speaker level inputs on the back. It will have a power cord also. You should also see a dial or switch labeled "crossover". You'll be able to use it now and later when you upgrade the receiver.

Pioneer makes a very good cheap sub
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...oofers/SW-8MK2

You can find them used or the first version (not MK-2) cheaper/clearance

Good luck and happy hunting!
post #6 of 6 Old 01-29-15, 06:32 AM
r.s
Shackster

Re: Can I connect this subwoofer

The Pioneer sub is ok. And not expensive.