Connect passive sub to 2.0 receiver using plate amp - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 16 Old 09-09-15, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Connect passive sub to 2.0 receiver using plate amp

Hi,

I'm looking at building a DIY sub (lilwrecker) and not sure if I would take a plate amp (quite expensive and not a good option as I will need to build an external box for it anyway) or a PA amp (Behringer EP4000 or Crown XLS)

I only don't really see how to connect the PA amp to my receiver with a classic A and B channel exit but no subwoofer exit.

Plate amp looks quite simple, connect wires to amp, and connect them again from amp to speakers, done.

Have been looking at the connections at the back of the behringer and googling but still not clear how to connect...

thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-09-15, 05:42 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: Connect passive sub to 2.0 receiver using plate amp

If I understand, you have a basic stereo receiver, with no subwoofer output jacks? You’ll need to go with a plate amp that has speaker-level inputs.

Quote:
bobdebouwer wrote: View Post
Plate amp looks quite simple, connect wires to amp, and connect them again from amp to speakers, done.
That will certainly work but if you have really nice gear I wouldn’t recommend it, because it adds a passive crossover between your receiver and main speakers. If the receiver has “Speaker B” terminals, use them to get a signal to the sub. This means your main speaker will be running full range, so you’ll have to set the sub’s plate amp’s crossover for whatever frequency the main speakers’ low end rolls out naturally.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #3 of 16 Old 09-10-15, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks for the info. This means there is no way to add 'something' between my pre amp and end amp so I can split the low hz signal and send it to a pa end amp connected to a sub?

Reason why i ask this anyway is because I want to build a lilwrecker tapped horn but a 1000 w plate amp with dsp would be 70% of the total project cost. A 2nd hand pa amp can be had for half

Thanks!

post #4 of 16 Old 09-10-15, 04:22 AM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
Thanks for the info. This means there is no way to add 'something' between my pre amp and end amp so I can split the low hz signal and send it to a pa end amp connected to a sub?
Oh. You have separates? Then, you can insert a subwoofer crossover between preamp and power amp.

Kal Rubinson
post #5 of 16 Old 09-10-15, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Indeed I have separates, pre amp and 2x200w end amp. Do you have a link to a good crossover? Do I really need a pa amp with dsp or not? There are a lot 2nd hand pa amps for sale but few with dsp.

I could build the crossover and pa amp in a nice box with a silent fan to get the waf factor up
post #6 of 16 Old 09-10-15, 11:00 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

If all you’re interested in is dividing out the lows to the sub, then all you need to do is split the pre-amp outputs and send them to the plate amp. Just makes sure you get a plate amp that has built-in crossover.

Now, if you also want to high-pass the mains, then that will indeed require a separate electronic crossover.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #7 of 16 Old 09-10-15, 11:05 AM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post
If all you’re interested in is dividing out the lows to the sub, then all you need to do is split the pre-amp outputs and send them to the plate amp. Just makes sure you get a plate amp that has built-in crossover.

Now, if you also want to high-pass the mains, then that will indeed require a separate electronic crossover.

Regards,
Wayne
Indeed and, imho, building and using a subwoofer today should include DSP/EQ for it.

Kal Rubinson
post #8 of 16 Old 09-10-15, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

So if I got it right, I need to split the out signal from my pre amp, I have 2 exits on my pre amp so I can leave one going to the end amp and one going to the subwoofer. The sub I could power with a 1000 W dayton audio plate amp, they are not that expensive, around 400 EUR. Still more expensive than a PA Crown or Behringer amp, going around 300 EUR (and more Watt)

The signal going to my end amp (and to my speakers) I indeed would need to high pass...

Still the question remains why I should bother with a (expensive, per Watt) plate amp. If I can get the active high/low pass, can I not split one 'out' to the 'hifi' end amp (powering my speakers) and one 'out' to another end amp (PA as it's cheaper) powering my subwoofer?

Or am I missing something? The sub would be a 'lilwrecker', which requires at least 500W RMS (preferably, 1000)
post #9 of 16 Old 09-10-15, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

As I do not have enough posts I cannot post a link, but I would need:

pre amp
out 1 => low pass filter, "80 Hz Low Pass 8 Ohm Crossover" (from Ebay) => PA Amp => subwoofer
out 2 => high pass filter "80 Hz High Pass 8 Ohm Crossover 266-458" (also Ebay) => hifi Amp => 2 speakers

The low and high pass would be +/- 40 USD together, a PA amp used +/- 200 USD, and maybe I should put an equalizer in between, they can be had easily for +/- 40-50 USD.

In total this would thus be +/- 300 USD (but I won't have the fancy DSP and it will need to be put completely out of sight for being too ugly...)
post #10 of 16 Old 09-10-15, 06:57 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
As I do not have enough posts I cannot post a link, but I would need:

pre amp
out 1 => low pass filter, "80 Hz Low Pass 8 Ohm Crossover" (from Ebay) => PA Amp => subwoofer
out 2 => high pass filter "80 Hz High Pass 8 Ohm Crossover 266-458" (also Ebay) => hifi Amp => 2 speakers
Neither of these will work. Placing the filters between the preamp and amp puts them in a higher impedance situation. You need line-level filters and, preferably, tunable/adjustable ones since textbook/off-the-shelf solutions are usually far from optimal in practice. See here: http://www.marchandelec.com/

Kal Rubinson