A Sound Renovation for the Green Room - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

9Likes

post #41 of 68 Old 03-13-17, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System
Re: A Sound Renovation for the Green Room

UPDATE:
This last weekend was a mixed bag of tricks in terms of progress. On one hand I was able to rearrange the room to take acoustic measurements for two more layouts. On the other hand, I encountered a major setback when discovering a dead left-channel tweeter. Something went wrong between the first listening trials and measurements for Layout-1. Long story short: a new tweeter is on its way. That's the bad news. The good news is that the blown tweeter explains the wide response dip around 3.5kHz (the rising response from there to 20kHz is due to the rear tweeter).

The other room arrangements I tried basically experiment with subwoofer location. Layout-2 swaps album crate and subwoofer locations. It has three stacks of crates along the back wall, and the sub along the left sidewall. Layout-3 puts the sub between the last stack of album crates and the door, leaving just enough room for a person to squeeze in. Listening trials for these layouts didn't last long, partly because of the blown tweeter, and partly because of my resultant foul mood. Despite the setback, I listened for bass quality and measured low FQ. The graphs showed a steep 20dBSPL drop from 40Hz down through 15Hz, and many peaks/dips from 40 through 300Hz - not at all like the fairly flat response observed for Layout-1. Different locations along the sidewall did not help. Listening to my bass test tracks told me all I needed to know:
  • Bass was generally boomy
  • Subwoofer could be frequently localized
  • Punch factor was gone

Realizing that lowered treble can be perceived as an increase in bass and vice-versa, I'll conduct more listening tests after repairing the tweet. But I doubt an improved frame of mind is going to change the overall bass quality I heard in music and movies from Layouts-2 and 3. I'd like to try one more sub location right next to the LP (Layout-4) before declaring Layout-1 as the SQ winner. I can publish some graphs if anyone is interested, just ask.

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 68 Old 03-13-17, 10:59 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Bummer about that tweeter Lou. Glad you got to experiment with the sub though. I hate guessing with stuff.
post #43 of 68 Old 03-13-17, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Thanks willis, it's all good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #44 of 68 Old 03-14-17, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
Glad you got to experiment with the sub though. I hate guessing with stuff.
Yeah, same here. And speaking of guessing, I'm still a novice when it comes to many things HT, subwoofer setup included. I thought that moving a sub a few inches can make a big difference, but I'm finding that's not the case (at least in my room so far). Guess I could have saved myself a lot of REW measurement heartache by moving the sub a foot at a time instead of inches. Do you know if that should make a difference? I'd like to know because I'll need to start my subwoofer location tests all over again.

But why, Lou? Well, because I made another mistake, but this one brings good news! My curiosity got the better of me last evening... how could bass plummet from satisfying into boomy, localized slop? What changed? Then I remembered I engaged the LOUDNESS function for a late-night movie, thinking it would only be active for that "session." Boy was I wrong! The LOUDNESS setting stayed active through the next power-up sequence. I was expecting it to act like the L/C/R/Sub trims, which only retain their setting for the active session. That'll learn me to expect logic from an AVR! So just take a wild guess what happened during my next listening session when the volume was cranked with LOUDNESS engaged. Yup, an overabundance of low-quality bass which I chalked-up to subwoofer positioning instead of an AVR setting. And to make matters worse, I realized my rear "wall" was now a matrix of filled album crates. My measurements and listening tests were being conducted from a "secret" LP much closer to the back wall than was thought or planned. It's no wonder turning down the subwoofer trim didn't help much. The good news is the drop in bass SQ now has a good explanation.

post #45 of 68 Old 03-14-17, 11:05 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Well Lou. IME moving a subwoofer by inches instead of feet yields very minimal changes. I'm sure that's dictated by room size. In my gymnasium, even one foot shows no changes in measurements. But in my bedroom smaller changes are evident.
So glad you figured out the boom and bloom! I HATE when settings don't go back after powering down. I've been burned by that too. As to the LPs.(sufferin mind), I'm kinda guessing, but imo the density created by stacking them tightly in crates, would crest a barrier. Probably even more so than drywall and wooden studs.
post #46 of 68 Old 03-14-17, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

The scary thing is that no one's making fun of me. Well? C'mon - I ain't scared, I have teenagers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #47 of 68 Old 03-14-17, 10:46 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Lou, Lou, Lou...
If we started making fun of you, you might stop sharing!!! Lol!!!
Most of us aren't professionals either(of course some are), and there is much to be learned from your trials and tribulations. Doin good!
post #48 of 68 Old 03-15-17, 12:38 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Not making fun of you ?? Why nonsense my friend, I would surely make fun if I was smarter and could understand your missive's. I am left behind in the dust here.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #49 of 68 Old 03-15-17, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Well, at least I can laugh at myself! You guys are too kind; thanks for the encouragement. Now I'm starting to understand why you called me brave! What was I thinking? But I'm not ready to crawl away in shame yet!!

This thread isn't turning out as planned. The forum's big fish aren't taking my measurement bait - maybe because the thread's title needs focus, or maybe because it seems off-topic to REW measurements. In any case, I'm moving it to a less-technical forum and will continue to post measurement questions individually.

post #50 of 68 Old 03-15-17, 08:00 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

I am sorry Lou but I cannot do the measurement thingie just yet. Next time we get together you can show me or....maybe I could just read the manual

I dont learn as well by reading something as by doing it...so you have left me done and dusted.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"