Need some help placing surrounds in a non-ideal layout - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 7 Old 04-15-17, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jeff

Need some help placing surrounds in a non-ideal layout

Hi All! I am preparing to wire and place speakers in a game room. It has a few unique challenges in the form of an angled double-door and a long window seat. I'm trying to figure out where to place my dipole surrounds and rears.

The attached image isn't completely to scale. I couldn't quite get this tool to work the way I wanted, and measurements were imprecise, but it roughly illustrates the challenge. The front stage isn't pictured, but that's pretty clear to me.

Challenge #1 (blue surrounds): I don't have a good place for my dipole surrounds (Swan R3s for those with a good memory). I've located the closest I can get when wall mounting in blue. The left surround would be in the correct position, but the right one would have to be about 3' further back due to a large window along that wall. This brings it about 2' from the corner as well. The dipoles are not pointed at 180 degrees - they are more like 45 I'd say. I am not sure if this reduces or increases the ideal listening position...

My two options are

a) Wall mount as I've displayed here

b) Put the left one on the wall as displayed, and the right on a speaker stand in front of the window, directly across from the left one. It is a deep window seat, so I could put up some type of sound panel behind it if that helps.

Challenge #2 (green rears): These are also Swans dipoles, but this time the cheaper R2s. Same angle, but they don't have a separate woofer and tweeter. Again, the scale is a little screwy here but there are french doors leading in that are actually recessed 2' on both sides. This happens right at the corner of the room, and limits me to about 7.5' of straight back wall, followed by the doors. There is just enough room to put a speaker above the door. Here are the options I see:

a) Wall mount both speakers right along the ceiling line as shown here. On the right side, I'd get it at the appropriate position (tho much higher than ideal). On the left, it'd be placed a little too far to the left, but angled inward (because that's my only choice). It would fit just above the door.

b) I mount both of them on the straight part of 7.5' wall (shown as 8'11" here because of the annoying software). It looks more ideal in this picture than it really is. The left speaker would actually fall several feet inside the ideal position. But I could mount them at the right height, and both on the same horizontal plane in this way.

c) I only mount a single R2, centered in the back. I'm sure my receiver can handle this, but I don't often see modern 6.1 systems. I'm not sure how this would work but in theory it sounds like a possible winner?

d) I skip mounting the rears because they aren't necessary, and my non ideal mounting is going to make them sound too

-----

Obviously - I'm not looking for perfection here. I'm just trying to do the best I can with this setup, short of building faux walls. Any advice you have would be much appreciated - I'm losing my mind thinking this one over and trying to listen (it's really hard to simulate wall mounts in different locations).
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Need some help placing surrounds in a non-ideal layout-rough-room-layout.png  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-17-17, 09:47 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: Need some help placing surrounds in a non-ideal layout

Move the seat forward and place the blue surrounds next to the seating and the green rears behind the couch along the lines where you have the blue left now. This can be done if you can move the seat forward and depending on the window size. If you have wall space above the window you can mount the surround/rear right sides there.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-17-17, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jeff

Hi asere -thanks for the response.

I might be misunderstanding some of this, but I don't think what you mentioned is possible. The window on the right is roughly as pictured - pretty wide. So if I were to move the couch forward such that it was in front of the window, it would literally be a few feet from the screen wall. :-O

Likewise, the window goes effectively all the way to the ceiling - there are only a couple of inches available above it. So, no way for me to mount the surrounds up there.

I think you were assuming the window was a little less wide, and that I could position the couch and surrounds in front of it, and then put the rears on the side walls around where the left surround (blue) is pictured in my chart. I agree that'd be a good option if the window wasn't so huge.

post #4 of 7 Old 04-17-17, 10:47 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
affeking wrote: View Post
Hi asere -thanks for the response.

I might be misunderstanding some of this, but I don't think what you mentioned is possible. The window on the right is roughly as pictured - pretty wide. So if I were to move the couch forward such that it was in front of the window, it would literally be a few feet from the screen wall. :-O

Likewise, the window goes effectively all the way to the ceiling - there are only a couple of inches available above it. So, no way for me to mount the surrounds up there.

I think you were assuming the window was a little less wide, and that I could position the couch and surrounds in front of it, and then put the rears on the side walls around where the left surround (blue) is pictured in my chart. I agree that'd be a good option if the window wasn't so huge.
I see. Since you don't have any wall space above the window for surrounds and considering the room layout. You might not have a choice but place surround speakers on a stand and no rears or still keep the rears but place them along the back wall even if it's a little narrow. You could always remove the surrounds and rears and tuck the cables under the couch when not watching a movie if you are worried that it will look bad and bring them out when needed.
In fact I'm planning on doing the same thing to the formal living area. Place surrounds on stands and remove them when not watching a movie to keep the clean look.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 Old 04-17-17, 12:55 PM
Shackster

No room is perfect and home theater for most people is a bunch of compromises.

I had a similar problem with dipole speakers. A large window on the right and no wall on the left just a large open space. I tried tall speaker stands but they were just too ugly, ungainly and top heavy threatening to fall over at the slightest provocation.

After thinking about it and realising that speaker placement advice is just that 'advice' and is not cast in stone and applying a bit of lateral thinking I placed them in the right place next to the seating but on the floor. That worked for me so I added rear surrounds and placed them on the floor to keep things in balance.

The advice for rear surrounds is that they are placed behind the seating so your left green speaker is arguably in the wrong place, so maybe try it on the same wall as the right one so they are both behind the seating.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-17-17, 01:17 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Need some help placing surrounds in a non-ideal layout

I agree if possible to move the couch ahead even a couple feet. The left rear should also be son the same plane as the right rear as mentioned. Also, ceiling mounts are a good option too depending on ceiling height, and longer ones can be used to aid that
I would not ever recommend floor placement, but sometimes ya do whatcha gotta do.

Any chance you could post a pic, horizontally?

Last edited by willis7469; 04-17-17 at 01:27 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-17-17, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jeff

Hmm ceiling mounting is a fair point, though it'd still be in front of a window because they go almost all the way up. I assume that's not great acoustically, but I'm not that sure being that these are dipoles and there shouldn't be a lot of reflection to the rear.

Hopefully these pics help. Excuse the absolute mess as I'm just unpacking boxes right now.

Below is a view of the rear (bottom of my diagram) where you can sort of see both problems. On the left in this view is the window, and to the right is the angled double door.
http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...pstpusbho2.jpg

This pic shows what is the bottom right side of the diagram. The red curtains are the window. You'll see about 2' of wall behind that followed by the rear wall.
http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...psrl65mrfx.jpg