Will I need a Samson S-convert for SMS-1 - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 20 Old 12-29-09, 05:39 PM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System
Re: Will I need a Samson S-convert for SMS-1

Quote:
splatee wrote: View Post
Ok, kind of sounds like what's going on with my set up. I first had my sub level at -2.5 db and the gain on the amp was all the way up. Now I put the sub level to 0 and lowered the gain on my amp to 3/4. If I were to get a samson s-convert where would I set my sub level on my receiver at? Is there a set level you adjust the sub pre-out to and just leave it there and then do the level adjusting at the samson?

Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device
That is something you will need to figure out. I just set my subs to reference level, some say 75db and some say 85db, useing my Radio shack spl meter. How you adjust the level could be a few different way's but I usually leave my sub level in the reciever menu at 0db set the Samson to the halfway point and then adjust as necessary at the amp. But you will have to see if that works for you and go from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 12-30-09, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
S14det

I did not need the Samson after all. I ran Receiver (RCA) to (RCA) SMS, then SMS (XLR) to XLR on the 1500. Gain on the 1500 is about 1/4 volume, I could turn it up put looks like I have some goundloop noise/pops.

I tried Receiver (RCA) to (XLR) SMS but volume dropped as I beleive the XLR input on the SMS was looking for more input voltage. Sub Gain with the pioneer Elite VSX-03thx is set at 0. I saw a website where they tested some Elite amps (older and newer then mine). Test stated the highest unclipped signal was at 0 so I set mine at 0 as well. From reading and searching the internet, balanced outputs/inputs have more voltage to keep the signal to noise high so there is alot less noise. Which to me is why you can not find a device like a Samson S-covert that uses XLR on both input and output as it would be the same going in as coming out.
post #13 of 20 Old 12-30-09, 06:51 PM
Shackster
matt

So if I were to use a samson s-convert I would need to use xlr cable on the out put to the amp? Right now I am using rca to 1/4 adapter. So I would go from my receiver rca to the samson and then xlr to my amp?

Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device

post #14 of 20 Old 12-30-09, 07:27 PM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

Quote:
splatee wrote: View Post
So if I were to use a samson s-convert I would need to use xlr cable on the out put to the amp? Right now I am using rca to 1/4 adapter. So I would go from my receiver rca to the samson and then xlr to my amp?

Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device
Exactly correct.
post #15 of 20 Old 01-05-10, 12:26 PM
Shackster
matt

Looking at the samson s-convert manual i do not see anything about what side to use if just sending a bridged signal, if that makes sense? I am running my amp in bridged mode and using just one 1/4 input. Can i use just the left or right rca input and one xlr output to send signal to the amp?

Thank you
post #16 of 20 Old 01-05-10, 01:25 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Hi Matt,

There is no such thing as a “bridged signal.” Bridging takes place inside the amplifier, and has nothing to do with the incoming signal fed to the amp. The only difference is that you’re sending the amp one signal instead of the usual two. So you only need to use one channel of the S-Convert as well. Doesn’t matter which one.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #17 of 20 Old 01-05-10, 01:45 PM
Shackster
matt

Ok, yah I just wasn't sure if the samson s-convert needed a signal at both channel inputs.

Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device
post #18 of 20 Old 02-14-10, 09:58 AM
Shackster
KEVIN

best price for a "Samson S-CONVERT "
i have found for $49 all day long.
post #19 of 20 Old 02-15-10, 08:03 AM

I just bought an ebtech line level shifter and a samson s convert, Going to use ebtech on my amp for mains and samson for sub amp to see wich works best by switching and listening. Anyone know of experience wich one is better? I haven't received them yet to compare. The ebtech is priced higher and seems to have more features wich i liked the fact its passive and not powered, But doesn't have rca inputs. Ebtech has good reviews for not effecting sound quality at all. The samson has good reviews but some people have heard change in sound. Anyone know? I will give udate when i get chance to compare the two. Thanks
post #20 of 20 Old 02-15-10, 09:37 AM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
bowser wrote: View Post
I just bought an ebtech line level shifter and a samson s convert, Going to use ebtech on my amp for mains and samson for sub amp to see wich works best by switching and listening. Anyone know of experience wich one is better? I haven't received them yet to compare. The ebtech is priced higher and seems to have more features wich i liked the fact its passive and not powered, But doesn't have rca inputs. Ebtech has good reviews for not effecting sound quality at all. The samson has good reviews but some people have heard change in sound. Anyone know? I will give udate when i get chance to compare the two. Thanks
The S-Convert has been tested and verified not to effect the signal.