Will I need a Samson S-convert for SMS-1 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 20 Old 12-12-09, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
S14det

Will I need a Samson S-convert for SMS-1

I will be getting my SMS-1 on Tuesday and will finally be able to use my EP1500 for my sub. I was wondering if I will have a signal issue with the SMS and the EP-1500. I know from my Pioneer (VSX-03) receiver to the EP1500 I would need a Samson S-convert, but If I do RCA-->XLR to SMS-1 and then XLR--->XLR to EP1500 would I still need a Samson S-convert. To me it seems like I would not need anything since both the SMS and EP have XLR inputs/outputs.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-13-09, 08:57 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: Will I need a Samson S-convert for SMS-1

It's not about XLR inputs and outputs, it's about signal level (aka voltage). The EP1500 requires an input signal of at least 1.15v in order to drive it to its maximum output. If your receiver's sub output is less than that, then you need the S-convert to boost the signal. You might check your manual to see what the spec for the sub output is, but I think Pioneer is one of those manufacturers that doesn't publish output voltage.

Bottom line, if your receiver required the S-convert to run the EP1500 before, it'll still require it with the SMS in the signal chain.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #3 of 20 Old 12-13-09, 12:27 PM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

I agree with Wayne, I have a Pioneer Elite and I run the SMS-1 also and I needed the Samson to bring the amp up to actual power.

post #4 of 20 Old 12-13-09, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
S14det

I have not used the 1500 as of yet. I got the SMS and had it for about 24 hours before it started to have issue and sent it back to get it fixed. During that time I did not have the 1500 installed. The 1500 is brand new and I have not used it yet. I was under the impression that if it was a balanced (XLR) connection it would output the higher voltage. Looks like that is not that case. So where would the S-convert be installed at. Between Pioneer/SMS or SMS/1500.

Thanks again
post #5 of 20 Old 12-13-09, 03:55 PM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

Go from the reciever to the SMS and then to the Samson, Then out to the sub or speakers.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-13-09, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
S14det

From the looks of the S-convert it only will do RCA->XLR or XLR->RCA. Can I not do XLR to XLR from the SMS to 1500? Will I have to do RCA->XLR from SMS to 1500.

I have searched and can not find any voltage specs for the XLR outputs on the SMS. I'm still learning balanced connections but everything I find looks like they have higher output voltage then basic RCA unbalanced outputs. I was about ready to buy the S-convert but noticed it is not for XLR only inputs/ouputs.

Thanks and sorry for the Noob questions
post #7 of 20 Old 12-29-09, 04:22 PM
Shackster
matt

I am wondering also I need a samson s-convert. I am using a pioneer vsx-918v and a tapco juice 1400 amp. I am not sure what the output voltage is on the sub out. Right now I have the sub pre-out set to 0 and the amp volume at 3/4. I get my green signal leds all lit up and the red overload leds never light up. The subs sound clean but how do I know if I am giving the amp the power it needs? Sorry to hijack.

Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device
post #8 of 20 Old 12-29-09, 05:13 PM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

Quote:
s14det wrote: View Post
From the looks of the S-convert it only will do RCA->XLR or XLR->RCA. Can I not do XLR to XLR from the SMS to 1500? Will I have to do RCA->XLR from SMS to 1500.

I have searched and can not find any voltage specs for the XLR outputs on the SMS. I'm still learning balanced connections but everything I find looks like they have higher output voltage then basic RCA unbalanced outputs. I was about ready to buy the S-convert but noticed it is not for XLR only inputs/ouputs.

Thanks and sorry for the Noob questions
I am sorry it took so long to answer, but you will need to go from your Pioneer to the Samson useing rca and then from the xlr outputs on the samson to the amplifier You could go from your reciever to the samson then to the Sms then to the amp and I believe that would work also but you would still need the same cables. Balanced cables are more for noise reduction and not power as shown here...http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/ba...nbalanced.html
post #9 of 20 Old 12-29-09, 05:17 PM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

Quote:
splatee wrote: View Post
I am wondering also I need a samson s-convert. I am using a pioneer vsx-918v and a tapco juice 1400 amp. I am not sure what the output voltage is on the sub out. Right now I have the sub pre-out set to 0 and the amp volume at 3/4. I get my green signal leds all lit up and the red overload leds never light up. The subs sound clean but how do I know if I am giving the amp the power it needs? Sorry to hijack.

Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device
I also run a Pioneer and to my knowledge they do not output enough voltage to run your amp to full power so you will need the Samson. If it is working well for you now then I could be wrong about your model pioneer but it worked for me also but when I introduced the Samson it was a night and day difference and I had to turn my gains down.
post #10 of 20 Old 12-29-09, 05:28 PM
Shackster
matt

Ok, kind of sounds like what's going on with my set up. I first had my sub level at -2.5 db and the gain on the amp was all the way up. Now I put the sub level to 0 and lowered the gain on my amp to 3/4. If I were to get a samson s-convert where would I set my sub level on my receiver at? Is there a set level you adjust the sub pre-out to and just leave it there and then do the level adjusting at the samson?

Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device