Help with multi zone set-up - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 5 Old 02-24-12, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Help with multi zone set-up

I am building a new house and will be wiring for a 5.1 system in my family room and 3 other zones. A set of speakers in the patio, dining room, and master bedroom. I need some advice on the most economical way to set this up. My receiver will have a seperate "zone 2" output.

Can I use a speaker switch? Such as Niles SSVC-6 at Crutchfield (I cannot post a link because I do not have 5 posts with the forum)

Or do I need to get an amplifier with multi zone capabalities? Such as Dayton Audio MA1240a Multi-Zone 12 Channel Amplifier at Parts-Express

Any advice on products would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-24-12, 11:23 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Re: Help with multi zone set-up

Welcome to HTS!

Just a quick question to help understand what you want to do - by "separate zone 2 output" do you mean the ability to (as an example) watch a movie in the family room and listen to music in the other 3 zones at the same time?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 5 Old 02-26-12, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

What I am trying to do is have different zones throughout the house to listen to music from one receiver. I want the capability of running 1 zone at a time. I just do not know if I need an amp plus my receiver or if I can just use my receiver and a speaker switch/selector.

post #4 of 5 Old 02-27-12, 07:35 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

I’d suggest separate amplification for the second zone. The Dayton amp you mentioned looked nice, but how do you intend to remotely-control the volume levels in the various rooms / areas?

Probably the most economical way to accomplish what you want will be something from Home Theater Direct.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #5 of 5 Old 02-28-12, 12:25 AM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

What is your main audio receiver ? If it has a Zone2 output/amp channel (most 7.1 AVR's do) then all you will need is the Niles. That being said a speaker selector does not offer the convenience of changing the volume from the particular room your in though it is an inexpensive way to go. In many of the houses I pre-wire. I setup an analog volume control in each room/zone. This is also inexpensive and offers the convenience of in room volume control. If your receiver does not have a Zone2 output you will need a 2nd amp like the one you mentioned but this does require a speaker impedance matching setup , which can be the speaker selector or the analog volume controls I mentioned all wired to the Z2 amp...If it were me I would invest in a AVR with Zone 2 capability so you can listen to a different source in zone2 rooms....IF you want alot more flexiblity look into a multiroom system like NuVo NV-A4DS-DC Simplese Audio Distribution System or Russound CA4 Multizone Controller Amplifier System/Kit, Both of these options can allow a different source in every room, but require a CAT5 to each keypad....Ive installed the NUVO systems and they are easy to setup provided you have the wiring in place...my suggestion / wire a 16/4 speaker wire AND a CAT5 to every zone keypad..reason / you can always upgrade to a source controller keypad if you want to....

Last edited by RTS100x5; 02-28-12 at 12:30 AM.