Long HDMI run...about 60' - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 25 Old 09-04-12, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Long HDMI run...about 60'

Hey all...I'm new here but have been lurking for awhile. I'm working on setting up a new home theater in my new basement. I've had a lot of help from my uncle who just built one of his own, and I'm down to a few small things before I finally start putting it all together.

My biggest question is about a 60' HDMI run. I've read a handful of things on here, but figured I'd ask straight up. I'm looking at the Redmere cable from monoprice that's 60', but my real question is, is it really worth it? Or would I be just as good off getting a normal cable or doing some other route?

The run is 60' because I have to go around baseboards and run that wall track stuff up to the PJ since the basement is already finished. It's going from the back of an onkyo receiver(to be located under the screen in a cabinet of some sort) to the Epson 8350(located at the back of the room, overhead). Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-04-12, 05:21 PM
Inactive

My System
Re: Long HDMI run...about 60'

RedMere seems to be the real deal. If I had to replace my current 50' cable (a DVI-to-DVI cable w/ HDMI adaptors at both ends), I'd go with a RedMere cable from Monoprice.
post #3 of 25 Old 09-04-12, 05:38 PM
Elite Shackster

Gary

My System

If you buy one be aware that they are advertised as being truly directional; you will not get signal if it's connected improperly.

post #4 of 25 Old 09-04-12, 05:44 PM

Ron

My System

I purchased a HDMI wall plate set from Monoprice that converts to Cat5 cable and back to HDMI... It works fine for me and I did not notice any degradation on my 135" screen.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #5 of 25 Old 09-04-12, 10:22 PM
Shackster

I think they have some great prices on amazon on highly rated long hdmi cables. jfyi
post #6 of 25 Old 09-04-12, 11:32 PM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System
I have a 50ft run of hdmi w/redmere from monoprice. It's the real deal. Works as advertised...

It is directional, but clearly labeled. You'd have to be trying not to pay attention to wire it in the wrong direction! ;-)
post #7 of 25 Old 09-05-12, 09:10 AM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

Here is my suggestion....I work as an AV Proffesional and Ive installed this unit in 5 different scenarios because we couldnt retro wires to a location or they didnt want to see wires....it works FLAWLESSLY !!!
You will not be dissapointed and "look MA no wires "
And YES it will handle the output of your AV Receiver....

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-GW3DHDK...IO+GEAR+HD+KIT
post #8 of 25 Old 09-05-12, 09:39 AM
Elite Shackster

Gary

My System

I see that the ad states that it will 5.1 audio; does it send lossless audio from blu ray?
post #9 of 25 Old 09-05-12, 11:02 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Just wondering....no way to rack your reciever in the back of the room and save yourself from running 60 ft of Hdmi around the room?
post #10 of 25 Old 09-05-12, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

I'll look into that wireless kit...I also am going to figure out if there's another way to run it. I have half a day today so I'll be able to do some measurements. Right now it's running around the whole room on the baseboard and then up a wall and around a bulk head(which explains the huge distance). There's gotta be a way to get into the ceiling or something to cut off a significant amount of distance.

Phillip: The reason the receiver is going into the front of the room is because the room was pre-wired for two back surround speakers. That'd be more wire to run in the end for speakers, though I guess running tons of speaker wire under baseboards would be easier and a of a lot cheaper.

I'm going to have to do some serious measuring and thinking this afternoon...