Newbie here advice would be appreciated - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 35 Old 09-27-12, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Dean

My System
Re: Newbie here advice would be appreciated

Thanks allot on the information you provided, I will look into the Panasonic AE-8000U
As for the Amp it's a tough decision but all advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 Old 09-27-12, 12:45 PM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System

I wonder if some of the larger trophys could be strategically placed around the listening area and used as absorbtion panels. That and a rug between the seating area and the front speakers.

Honestly the only reason I can see why a Nad would sound better then a Integra unless you going with full separates for power reasons. I would think the Audessy eq in the Integra would be benificial for you.

If you planning on putting your rear and side surronds on the actual side and rear walls they would be considerably further away then is recommended, but if that is a want/need then I can see that you would want larger surrounds and the extra power separates would give you. I take it speakers on stands closer to the listneing area is not wanted because of cables on the floor. Also I wouldn't bother with dipole surrounds considering the trophys on the walls.

If warrany is an issue downunder for the Optoma then go with the Panny
post #13 of 35 Old 09-28-12, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Dean

My System

Quote:
Andre wrote: View Post
I wonder if some of the larger trophys could be strategically placed around the listening area and used as absorbtion panels. That and a rug between the seating area and the front speakers.

Honestly the only reason I can see why a Nad would sound better then a Integra unless you going with full separates for power reasons. I would think the Audessy eq in the Integra would be benificial for you.

If you planning on putting your rear and side surronds on the actual side and rear walls they would be considerably further away then is recommended, but if that is a want/need then I can see that you would want larger surrounds and the extra power separates would give you. I take it speakers on stands closer to the listneing area is not wanted because of cables on the floor. Also I wouldn't bother with dipole surrounds considering the trophys on the walls.

If warrany is an issue downunder for the Optoma then go with the Panny

I sincerely appreciate everything you have stipulated. I really like your idea about re-positioning the full mounts by moving them forward to where the sound is basically focused, as that is something that would be very easy to accomplish.

Regarding my rear CDM SNT (Wall mounted) speakers, they are not placed right at the back of the room at 14 meters or 46 feet. The rear speakers were mounted on my wall about 3 feet behind the seating area which is 6.1 meters or 20 feet from where the Screen will be.
Once I looked at it and got a mate to measure a couple of things, the rear speakers will be dead in line to where the projector will be mounted, obviously the rear speakers are mounted to either side of the side walls so they are 5 meters or 16 feet per side away from the projector. To give you a better idea on how I envisage my speaker layout to be I made a quick list below.

(1). Two from speakers either side of the screen which will be 3.5 meters wide or 11.5 feet wide.
(2). First sub-woofer to one side of the screen or directly below the screen under the stage.
(3). Centre Speaker dead centre of screen, just below the screen.
(4). Two side speakers 3 meters or 10 feet back from the screen.
(5). Rear speakers 6.1 meters or 20 feet back from the screen and about 1 meter or 3 feet behind the seating area.
(6). Second sub-woofer directly behind the seating area.

I would like to mention so far we have NEVER really been able to enjoy the audio while watching a movie in this room.
When ever we watch a movie in here, I promise you that every 10 minutes or so someone or other will ask "What did he/she just say" and it's beyond frustrating.
However I must mention I have not used a digital Receiver/Amp in this Trophy room as yet, all I have used is my analogue Receiver/Amp which makes me wanna cry when I remember paying $6,000 for it ten years ago but I guess this will continue to happen due to technology regardless of the amounts we spend.
My real query and slight concern is how true is this Re: Digital Receiver/Amp will make the Audio & Video so much clearer, I have been told over & over that the analogue Rec/Amps are chalk & cheese apart when comparing them to a Digital Rec/Amp.
It scares me still, firstly and foremost because I have never been able to hear a quality Rec/Amp in this room, secondly I don't want to spend $10k to $20k if the digital Rec/Amp isn't going to improve the Audio enormously.

I want to make sure I am very clear when I use the word "Audio"
The only audio that sounds poor and is frustrating in this room while watching a movie, it's the voices of the characters that's shocking and are very annoying at times. The rest of the sound system sounds AWESOME.
Lets face it when you have problems hearing what the actors are saying at times, theres nothing worse while watching a movie.
Do you think it would make a great deal of improvement when it comes to hearing the voices of the characters if I chose to have two quality centre speakers rather then just the one centre speaker?

Cheers
Dean

Last edited by Wheels1974; 09-28-12 at 06:34 AM.

post #14 of 35 Old 09-28-12, 07:34 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Wheels1974 wrote: View Post
I sincerely appreciate everything you have stipulated. I really like your idea about re-positioning the full mounts by moving them forward to where the sound is basically focused, as that is something that would be very easy to accomplish.

Regarding my rear CDM SNT (Wall mounted) speakers, they are not placed right at the back of the room at 14 meters or 46 feet. The rear speakers were mounted on my wall about 3 feet behind the seating area which is 6.1 meters or 20 feet from where the Screen will be.
Once I looked at it and got a mate to measure a couple of things, the rear speakers will be dead in line to where the projector will be mounted, obviously the rear speakers are mounted to either side of the side walls so they are 5 meters or 16 feet per side away from the projector. To give you a better idea on how I envisage my speaker layout to be I made a quick list below.

(1). Two from speakers either side of the screen which will be 3.5 meters wide or 11.5 feet wide.
(2). First sub-woofer to one side of the screen or directly below the screen under the stage.
(3). Centre Speaker dead centre of screen, just below the screen.
(4). Two side speakers 3 meters or 10 feet back from the screen.
(5). Rear speakers 6.1 meters or 20 feet back from the screen and about 1 meter or 3 feet behind the seating area.
(6). Second sub-woofer directly behind the seating area.

I would like to mention so far we have NEVER really been able to enjoy the audio while watching a movie in this room.
When ever we watch a movie in here, I promise you that every 10 minutes or so someone or other will ask "What did he/she just say" and it's beyond frustrating.
However I must mention I have not used a digital Receiver/Amp in this Trophy room as yet, all I have used is my analogue Receiver/Amp which makes me wanna cry when I remember paying $6,000 for it ten years ago but I guess this will continue to happen due to technology regardless of the amounts we spend.
My real query and slight concern is how true is this Re: Digital Receiver/Amp will make the Audio & Video so much clearer, I have been told over & over that the analogue Rec/Amps are chalk & cheese apart when comparing them to a Digital Rec/Amp.
It scares me still, firstly and foremost because I have never been able to hear a quality Rec/Amp in this room, secondly I don't want to spend $10k to $20k if the digital Rec/Amp isn't going to improve the Audio enormously.

I want to make sure I am very clear when I use the word "Audio"
The only audio that sounds poor and is frustrating in this room while watching a movie, it's the voices of the characters that's shocking and are very annoying at times. The rest of the sound system sounds AWESOME.
Lets face it when you have problems hearing what the actors are saying at times, theres nothing worse while watching a movie.
Do you think it would make a great deal of improvement when it comes to hearing the voices of the characters if I chose to have two quality centre speakers rather then just the one centre speaker?

Cheers
Dean
IMO, you will be extremely pleased with Audyssey (or the calibration software for whichever AVR you choose) as it will be able to determine what levels your speakers need to be at. Once the calibration is done, if you are still having issues with hearing dialogue, I would suggest increasing the output level for the CC through the speaker level menu.

Plus, it won't cost you $10k to get a quality unit with the newest version of the calibration software.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #15 of 35 Old 09-28-12, 09:54 AM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System

I have chronic tinnitus and have a miserable time with voices in movies. Since so much of the soundtrack and vocals are reproduced by the centre channel I believe it is the heart and soul of a theatre system and I purchase what I personally believe is one of the best without breaking the bank (Axiom VP180, however, my entire system is Axiom and my mains have the same drivers as the CC). I ran Audyessy and then boosted the CC 3 notches which works for me. Your current CC may be enough or I may not, prior to replacing or adding another I increase its output to the point where there isn’t a problem hearing the vocals and if at that point your finding the speaker is sounding strained (distorting) then look at an upgrade. As for placement of your collection and speakers, experimentation will be the key, such things as:

Raising and lowering the height of the CC and/or surround
Toeing in the mains
Repositioning the sub (YouTube “sub crawl”)
Repositioning your larger trophy pieces

As for the analog/digital amp question, is not the energy supplied by the unit that will make a difference, it’s the processing. Going from Dolby prologic to Dolby True HD is a significant jump imho. That and the need for some type of equalization in your space begs for a unit with Audyessy XT32 and since you will be running two subs Audyessy Sub EQ HT will be beneficial. Of course you can go beyond this automatic EQ and have your system EQed with computers, mics and programs such as REV but that takes a lot of time, patience and knowledge. All that being said if you can find yourself and Integra DRT-80 for a good price you should be very happy.

Another thing to look into is the amount of light you screen will output. Now looking at specs on projector central I see the Optoma HD33 will put out 9fl when placed 20 feet from a screen, however, the Evo 3D fabric is supposed to have a gain of 1.26 which should take the FL up to 12 which is the minimum recommended. But, there is another wrinkle, 3D glasses take away some light which will drop your fl below optimum, the solutions are:

a. shorter throw (smaller screen)
b. higher gain screen
c. projector with a higher brightness
d. leave as is and understand that 3D will be significantly “darker”
post #16 of 35 Old 09-29-12, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Dean

My System

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
IMO, you will be extremely pleased with Audyssey (or the calibration software for whichever AVR you choose) as it will be able to determine what levels your speakers need to be at. Once the calibration is done, if you are still having issues with hearing dialogue, I would suggest increasing the output level for the CC through the speaker level menu.

Plus, it won't cost you $10k to get a quality unit with the newest version of the calibration software.
Once again thank you so much for your valued information. What exactly do you mean by saying
"I would suggest increasing the output level for the CC through the speaker level menu"
Sorry mate I don't really understand much about the A/V world but find it interesting and if I don't ask questions I'll never know.

Originally as shown in my first post, I was looking to spend around $11,500 for everything such as Projector & 6 pairs of 3D glasses, Rec or Amp, Blu-Ray & cable. Not $10k just for a Rec/Amp.

Thanks again for your ongoing information & Advice
Regards
Dean
post #17 of 35 Old 10-01-12, 12:59 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Once again thank you so much for your valued information. What exactly do you mean by saying
"I would suggest increasing the output level for the CC through the speaker level menu"
Sorry mate I don't really understand much about the A/V world but find it interesting and if I don't ask questions I'll never know.

Originally as shown in my first post, I was looking to spend around $11,500 for everything such as Projector & 6 pairs of 3D glasses, Rec or Amp, Blu-Ray & cable. Not $10k just for a Rec/Amp.

Thanks again for your ongoing information & Advice
Regards
Dean
Sorry, Dean, getting into cold season up here and it knocked me out for a day or two. Andre probably did a much better job than I did explaining what I meant. After running the Audyssey software, you can go into your AVR menu and select something like "Speaker Level Adjustment". Every speaker will be listed and you then have the ability to increase the output level of each speaker individually. It is here that I would suggest increasing the Center Channel.

post #18 of 35 Old 10-02-12, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Dean

My System

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Sorry, Dean, getting into cold season up here and it knocked me out for a day or two. Andre probably did a much better job than I did explaining what I meant. After running the Audyssey software, you can go into your AVR menu and select something like "Speaker Level Adjustment". Every speaker will be listed and you then have the ability to increase the output level of each speaker individually. It is here that I would suggest increasing the Center Channel.
Sorry to hear you caught the cold, I caught a nasty dose of Bronchitis 3 weeks ago and after a week of trying to fight it, I had to admit myself in hospital, thankfully I was only in for 2 days and getting better each day.
I hope you guys don't end up getting this nasty strain of Bronchitis that hit all of Australia pretty bad.

That sounds AWESOME and if that is all that is needed then I will be one very happy man. I know that once I purchase the A/V system it will include a full calibration although I have a mate who is right into A/V and when I had him over in my house for the first time he mentioned he could do something with each indervidual speaker volume.

I know with the Integra AVR 70.3 Receiver I was looking to purchase, I was told it comes with a microphone and some software so it calibrates your speakers for you. Is this Audyssey software the same sort of thing?
Does this Audyssey software run on ALL Receivers & Amps and all speakers? Where can I purchase this AUDYSSEY software & how much does it cost?

On another subject I got two A/V systems to chose from at the moment. I have made a full list of the two 2 systems below, sorry to repeat myself mate but any advice would be appreciated.
What A/V system would you recommend. So far the only unit I know I will be getting is the Oppo BDP-95 Blu-Ray the rest im not sure about.

I have to mention Yesterday after 10 long hours my cousin & father fully wired my trophy room. I added much more cable runs then I actually needed but thankfully now its done.

#: 1 A/V System
1 x Optoma HD83 Full HD 3D Projector. (Includes 2 pair of glasses)
1 x Optoma Genuine replacement lamp to suit HD83
4 x Glasses
1 x Ambertech G-2 Projector Wall mount
1 x Integra DTR 70.3 Receiver
1 x Oppo BDP-95 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Player
1 x 150" Majestic fixed frame screen, with Evo 3D fabric
1 x Gaffen Toolbox HDMI extender over Cat-6
1Pr x Audioquest Premium Pre-Terminated Speaker cable with Premium Audioquest connectors pre-fitted
3 x 1m Audioquest Pearl HDMI Cable
1 x Labour - Visit site, make connections, preform room calibrations for Audio & Vidio
System Price $11,252 AUD

#: 2 A/V System
1 x Sony VPL-30 Projector (Includes 2 pair of glasses)
4 x Glasses
1 x Flexmount Projector Mount
1 x NAD T777 AV Receiver
1 x 150” Screen Technics Matrix Fixed Screen
1 x Binary CAT6 HDMI Baluns
1Pr x Transparent The Wave Speaker Cable
1Pr x Transparent The Link Interconnects
3 x 1m Wire Chroma 6 HDMI cables
1 x System Installation & Calibration (Based on up to 8 hours on work)
System Price $13,600 AUD

Regards
Dean

Last edited by Wheels1974; 10-02-12 at 12:26 AM.
post #19 of 35 Old 10-02-12, 08:51 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Sorry to hear you caught the cold, I caught a nasty dose of Bronchitis 3 weeks ago and after a week of trying to fight it, I had to admit myself in hospital, thankfully I was only in for 2 days and getting better each day.
I hope you guys don't end up getting this nasty strain of Bronchitis that hit all of Australia pretty bad.
Yikes! Glad to hear you got everything cleared up.

Quote:
That sounds AWESOME and if that is all that is needed then I will be one very happy man. I know that once I purchase the A/V system it will include a full calibration although I have a mate who is right into A/V and when I had him over in my house for the first time he mentioned he could do something with each indervidual speaker volume.

I know with the Integra AVR 70.3 Receiver I was looking to purchase, I was told it comes with a microphone and some software so it calibrates your speakers for you. Is this Audyssey software the same sort of thing?
Does this Audyssey software run on ALL Receivers & Amps and all speakers? Where can I purchase this AUDYSSEY software & how much does it cost?
That is the great news - most new AVRs are coming with this included - as a matter of fact, the Integra 70.3 has Audyssey XT32 on board which not only does a great job with speakers, it does well on subs too.

Quote:
On another subject I got two A/V systems to chose from at the moment. I have made a full list of the two 2 systems below, sorry to repeat myself mate but any advice would be appreciated.
What A/V system would you recommend. So far the only unit I know I will be getting is the Oppo BDP-95 Blu-Ray the rest im not sure about.

I have to mention Yesterday after 10 long hours my cousin & father fully wired my trophy room. I added much more cable runs then I actually needed but thankfully now its done.

#: 1 A/V System
1 x Optoma HD83 Full HD 3D Projector. (Includes 2 pair of glasses)
1 x Optoma Genuine replacement lamp to suit HD83
4 x Glasses
1 x Ambertech G-2 Projector Wall mount
1 x Integra DTR 70.3 Receiver
1 x 150" Majestic fixed frame screen, with Evo 3D fabric
1 x Gaffen Toolbox HDMI extender over Cat-6
1Pr x Audioquest Premium Pre-Terminated Speaker cable with Premium Audioquest connectors pre-fitted
3 x 1m Audioquest Pearl HDMI Cable
1 x Labour - Visit site, make connections, preform room calibrations for Audio & Vidio
System Price $11,252 AUD

#: 2 A/V System
1 x Sony VPL-30 Projector (Includes 2 pair of glasses)
4 x Glasses
1 x Flexmount Projector Mount
1 x NAD T777 AV Receiver
1 x 150” Screen Technics Matrix Fixed Screen
1 x Binary CAT6 HDMI Baluns
1Pr x Transparent The Wave Speaker Cable
1Pr x Transparent The Link Interconnects
3 x 1m Wire Chroma 6 HDMI cables
1 x System Installation & Calibration (Based on up to 8 hours on work)
System Price $13,600 AUD

Regards
Dean
Choosing between the two options, I would probably go with the first - fir me, it really comes down to the Integra versus the NAD. I would take the Integra as it has XT32.

post #20 of 35 Old 10-02-12, 12:31 PM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System

As Joe stated the Audyssey calibration system is part of the software included with the Integra.

If I may I would like to edit your AV “1” list with these changes

1 x Panasonic PT-AT6000E (or the 7000 if you buy US)
Review: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/proje...eview-hands-on
Reasoning: Your dealer said Optoma has customer service issues in AU. Additionally, placement/adjustment may be more difficult due to minimal lense shift adjustment and manual focus of the Optoma. Panny is also brighter which is a benefit to 3D viewing

With the Panny’s Lens Memory function you can go from a 16:9 screen to a full Cinescope. http://www.ozts.com.au/cinemascope.htm

If you don’t need the IR extension you can go with the Gefen HDBaseT extender and save some $ http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=10870

I am an atheist in the religion of high end cables. The Gefen units come with cables and will be fine, saves you some $ (just check on the cable if they are 1.3 compliant)

Does the calibration in the labor include an ISF certified calibration of the projector and receiver? http://www.ehow.com/about_6647292_isf-calibration_.html

A universal remote URC (Universal Remote Control inc) Digital R50 is a nice one

remote control light dimmer http://www.lutron.com/Products/Stand.../Overview.aspx

Because of the size of your room I will recommend a second sub if it is within your budget. The SVS PC13 Ultra is a cylindrical sub that is easy to move around (did you look at the "sub crawl" video?) and looks cool to boot. http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...07-part-1.html

What did you cousin/father wire your room with?

Last edited by Andre; 10-02-12 at 09:43 PM.