Newbie here advice would be appreciated - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 35 Old 09-26-12, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Dean

My System
Newbie here advice would be appreciated

Hi all, as stated above I'm new to this site but LOVE all the information on here. I also would like to confess that I know very little about the AV world so to speak.
I am looking to pass some wires so I can get Pay TV put in my Trophy Room and while passing these cables I am going to also pass extra cables so I can run a projector in this room also in the near future as its a massive job passing cable in a room like this as it has a Cathedral ceiling and because it is a tin roof means the cavity is very narrow only 125 mm or 5 inches.

Just to give you a better understanding about my Trophy Room. The room is quite large 14 meters by 10 meters or 46 feet by 33 feet. The walls are 13 feet high and the center of the cathedral ceiling is approximately 20 feet high. Unfortunately I totally understand that this room has a lot of flaws going for it, acoustically speaking but I basically live in here especially during winter as I rarely go out due to my disability being a Quadriplegic I really feel the cold and HATE it.

I have tried to attach a couple of photo's of my trophy room but doubt it will work because this is my first post. I hope the photo's work to give you a better idea of what I am trying to explain about my room, but I think I cannot post photos until I post a minimum of 5 posts.

Dead center of my Trophy room I have a Pillar which has a steel beem for structural support and I will make use of the pillar by using a wall mounted bracket to fix the projector to it.
From the pillar to where the screen will eventually be is exactly 6.65 meters however once the projector is mounted to the bracket it will be about 6.1 meters (20 feet) away from the fixed screen.

Also I thought it would be worth mentioning that the seating will be approximately 5.5 meters (18 feet) from the 150 inch screen.
If all goes to plan and weather permitting my cousin who is a Electrician will pass all the cable this weekend. He just purchased some CAT-6 & RG6/RJ6 cable today.
Also unfortunately because each run of cable needs to be between 25 to 30 meters (82 to 98 feet) long.
I cant go HDMI as I have been advised that once HDMI goes over 15 meters long, it starts loosening its Audio & Video signal.
I have been advised to go with Cat/6 and then use a Gaffen Toolbox HDMI extender over the Cat/6 cable to then change the signal to HDMI where it counts.

At first I was looking to purchase the following items which I have listed below:
Optoma HD83 or HD8300 projector (I LOVE 3D MOVIES)
Integra DTR 70.3 Amp
Oppo BDP 95 Blu-Ray
150 “ Majestic Fixed frame screen, with Evo 3D fabric. Aspect ratio 16:9
Gaffen Toolbox HDMI Extender over Cat/6 (Extra long range Extender for HDMI, 3D TV and IR over one Cat-6 cable)
2 Audioquest premium Pre-terminated speaker cable + Premium Audioquest connectors Pre-fitted (This is to Bi-wire my Front B&W CDM 9NT Speakers)
3 Audioquest Pearl HDMI cable. High speed with ethernet 1 meter each.
$11,250 here in Melbourne Australia.

I thought I would make a call to a A/V shop here in Melbourne Australia probably one of the best A/V shops here. I actually purchased my very first stereo system which had Lazer Disc, this was 21 years ago, unfortunately Lazer Disc never took off, the sound was awesome and these guys were very helpful although anyone would be when spending $10k for a stereo system 10 years ago. However they really went out of there way I felt to help me out.

After calling them and emailing them a list of what I was looking at purchasing as I done above, he mentioned straight away that because my room is so large and has basically ALL hard surfaces he thought TWO things should change from the list due to my room, he mentioned a NAD Amp would work better for my Trophy room and sound better then a Integra Amp, he stocks Integra and I knew he does as I checked there site, he said they are a AWESOME amp for a dedicated home Theater, his point was because my room is full of hard surfaces he suggested that there are a couple of NAD amps that would make the sound much better then what a Integra Amp would due to the way my trophy room is.

Secondly he was against Optoma projectors, he said that Optoma make a great projector if you happen to get a good one but he said that there customer support was shocking, to the point that if something went wrong with the unit that Optoma would take from 1 month to 3 months to fix the problem and told me straight out if I wanted a Optoma projector that he wouldn't sell me one because if anything went wrong with it then I would obviously have to go through him to get the issue resolved. I know it may come across as him being rude when reading it in text, but I really appreciated his advice, as he said he can get me one, but it's something his company no longer deal with due to there poor customer service here in Australia.

Now I totally understand that everyone is going to have certain opinions and preferences when it comes to Amps and Projectors or anything for that matter.
My main query right now is, Can the brand of Amp such as going from a Integra Amp to a NAD Amp really make a huge difference in sound to a room such as my room as it isn't acoustically designed as a theater room.

Regards and ALL advice will be appreciated greatly.
Dean
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie here advice would be appreciated-sable-trophy-room_1_1.jpg  

Newbie here advice would be appreciated-celing-cedar-wood.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 09-26-12, 04:29 AM
Elite Shackster

bigbadbill

Re: Newbie here advice would be appreciated

That is a very quirky room Dean.
I look forward to see how your system progresses.

BTW it's a bit warmer up here in Ncle, Not so close to the antarctic.

Cheers,
Bill.

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 35 Old 09-26-12, 05:17 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Hello and welcome to HTS. Look forward to seeing your subwoofer system to pressurize that room.

"Music is the space between the notes"
“[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.”

post #4 of 35 Old 09-26-12, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Dean

My System

Quote:
robbo266317 wrote: View Post
That is a very quirky room Dean.
I look forward to see how your system progresses.

BTW it's a bit warmer up here in Ncle, Not so close to the antarctic.

Cheers,
Bill.
Sorry I should have warned people if photo's of stuffed animals offends please avoid entering but I honestly thought my photo's wouldn't load up. I wanted to add the photo's as they show the Pillar where the Projector will be mounted and also the rock wall is where the screen will be mounted.
I'm really not sure whether to go for a decent NAD Amp or stick with the Integra DTR 70.3?
Also what is a GREAT 2D & Awesome 3D projector?

Cheers
Dean
post #5 of 35 Old 09-26-12, 08:05 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Dean,

As far as the projector, I would take a look at the new Panasonic AE-8000U. The AE-7000U (the previous model) is also a 3D capable projector, but one of the biggest complaints with it was that it did not have enough lumens to function well as a 3D projector. From initial reviews, they look to have corrected this issue.

As far as the processor, that is going to be a big space to fill as well as having some odd angles. I set up a system in my living room that has an open floor plan with vaulted ceilings. I went with the Sherwood 972 which uses Trinnov - it seems to handle measuring and adjusting the odd room configuration of the room much better. It does have it quirks - there is a thread here providing many people's experiences - but I have been really pleased with it's ability to calibrate my odd-shaped room.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #6 of 35 Old 09-26-12, 09:00 AM
J&D
Senior Shackster

My System

You only mention your two front speakers, what, and how many surround speakers are you planning to run from the 70.3? That would really be more determinant of a need for an external amp or not. I personally do not subscribe to the "sound" of an amplifier when we are talking solid state.

The 70.3 is a good choice, comes with XT32 which will help a bit in that space but room correction software can only take you so far. You will need some room treatments in there to minimize reflections. The dealer you are working with sounds ok but anyone that recommends an amp right out of the gate to solve for some very challenging acoustic space issues would not be my first choice of partner to work with. He should have offered up some advice on how to treat the room first then worry about how to best drive your speakers once that issue has been dealt with. Perhaps put very heavy coats on all of your friends in there?

Just kidding, but since you already have a good deal of wall ornamentation you could get creative and place the mounts onto some acoustic panels. Good luck with the project and have fun with it!
post #7 of 35 Old 09-26-12, 11:43 AM
Elite Shackster

Dr Doan

Welcome to the Forum. Have fun. Dennis

L Dennis Doan, DC
Gonstead Chiropractor
IT'S THE NERVE!

SVSound MTS-02 Fronts, MCS-02 Center, SSS-01 surrounds, SBS-02 rear surrounds, (2) SVSound SB-13 Plus Subwoofers
AS-EQ1 Sub Equalizer (WOW!)
Onkyo TX-SR707 7.2 Receiver w/Audyssey XT
Insignia Blu Ray NS-WBRDVD3
Toshiba DVD Recorder w/HDMI
Direct TV DVR HD
BenQ W5000 projector. 91" screen. 15' x 11.8' vaulted ceiling dedicated HT room w/DIY sound absorption
:
post #8 of 35 Old 09-26-12, 01:05 PM
Elite Shackster

Gary

My System

Welcome to HTS!!!
post #9 of 35 Old 09-26-12, 06:43 PM
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco

My System

Hello and welcome to HTS!

Regards,
Dale Rasco

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas A. Edison

Dale Rasco and

post #10 of 35 Old 09-27-12, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Dean

My System

Quote:
J&D wrote: View Post
You only mention your two front speakers, what, and how many surround speakers are you planning to run from the 70.3? That would really be more determinant of a need for an external amp or not. I personally do not subscribe to the "sound" of an amplifier when we are talking solid state.

The 70.3 is a good choice, comes with XT32 which will help a bit in that space but room correction software can only take you so far. You will need some room treatments in there to minimize reflections. The dealer you are working with sounds ok but anyone that recommends an amp right out of the gate to solve for some very challenging acoustic space issues would not be my first choice of partner to work with. He should have offered up some advice on how to treat the room first then worry about how to best drive your speakers once that issue has been dealt with. Perhaps put very heavy coats on all of your friends in there?

Just kidding, but since you already have a good deal of wall ornamentation you could get creative and place the mounts onto some acoustic panels. Good luck with the project and have fun with it!
Sorry I should have mentioned more info about my speakers. Currently my set up is 5.1 but I will be passing or adding speaker cables to make it true 7.2 set up, thats the best I can go due to the existing speaker wire I have run in this room. I could go 9.2 but that would mean having exposed wires in my room and thats something I cant stand.
I think by going 7.2 and having 2 extra side speakers will help a great deal and while passing all the cable it will take no extra time to pass some RG6/RJ6 cable in order to have my second Sub-woofer behind my seating area directly on the floor somewhere.
I just thought of this but I don't know if this would help anything Re: Audio in this room.
I could get some good quality speaker wire and run it down my Pillar. The bottom 1.1 meters (3 Foot 7") of the Pillar widens out to be 1 meter mide (3 feet 3" wide)
If you think having 2 extra speakers either side of the 1 meter or (3 feet 3") wide part of the Pillar directly behind the seating area will help with sound then I'll be more then happy to run the extra speaker wire there and add 2 extra speakers either side of the widest part of the pillar. Would it matter that it's only 1 meter wide or 3 feet 3 inches wide?

The 5.1 speakers system I currently have are all B&W.
The fronts are floor standing B&W CDM 9NT
The centre speaker are B&W CDM CNT
My rear speakers are B&W CDM SNT (Wall mounted)
The Sub-woofer is a B&W ASW-675

The A/V dealer that recommended I should strongly consider a NAD Amp over the Integra 70.3 did mention to me prior if there was anyway I could soften the room and explained to me how sound keeps bouncing off hard surfaces so to speak, I couldn't believe how complex sound actually gets, it's truly amazing.

However as I described to him because I designed this room as my Trophy Room I cannot really do anything to soften up the walls or ceilings. The best I can do is run rugs on the timber flooring and he said that would defiantly help to a degree.

Hope the added info I explained helps you a little more.

Thank you for taking the time to try help
Dean