Help with connection types - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 20 Old 10-01-12, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Help with connection types

My former home theater system just died..so i picked up a cheap receiver to get by for the next few months before I move..but I am having difficulty figuring out exactly what my best options are to connect this thing. Here is what I have:

1. Toshiba 40" LCD
2. Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1
3. PS3
4. Wii
4. STB - Comcast HD box

I have four HDMI cables and one digital optical cable.

My initial setup before my home theater system wasn't the greatest as the receiver didn't have many options. I connected:
PS3 -> HDTV (HDMI)
STB -> HDTV (component cable since HDMI did not produce an image when I connected the STB to the tv)
Wii -> HDTV (component cable)

HDTV -> AVR (with digital optical)

Now my new receiver has many more options for me to play around with, and I was wondering what the best possible connection will be for these different components.

I was going to connect
PS3 -> AVR (HDMI)
STB -> AVR (HDMI)
Wii -> AVR (component) And my

AVR -> HDTV (HDMI)

My questions:
1. Should I scrap the digital optical all together? The PS3, STB, AVR, and HDTV all support the digital optical, but is it necessary to use?
2. Is using an all HDMI setup going to produce the best results?
3. If I connect the Wii using component, will anything be distorted when the image is passed through an HDMI to my HDTV?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I should also note: I am probably going to use my AVR for all audio. I do not necessarily need my HDTV to produce sound without the AVR turned on. But if it is easy to do so, I will.

Last edited by fviola; 10-01-12 at 06:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-01-12, 08:33 PM
Inactive

My System
Re: Help with connection types

According to the product page, the AVR that comes with your HTiB decodes lossless audio (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA), so connect all your components to your AVR, and run a single connection from your AVR to your TV.

If you do it the other way 'round - components to TV, optical from TV to AVR - you'll only get whatever audio your TV sends to the optical output (up to a maximum of DD5.1 and DTS5.1).

Quote:
3. If I connect the Wii using component, will anything be distorted when the image is passed through an HDMI to my HDTV?
The owner's manual for the AVR will tell you whether it will transcode component video to HDMI. If it doesn't, you'll need to run a separate component connection from your AVR to your TV for your Wii.

Last edited by 86eldel68-deactivated; 10-01-12 at 08:42 PM.
post #3 of 20 Old 10-01-12, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks for the reply

post #4 of 20 Old 10-01-12, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

post #5 of 20 Old 10-01-12, 08:48 PM
Inactive

My System

Quote:
What I am asking is, should I even bother with digital optical or is using HDMI the best way?
Don't use optical if you can avoid it because optical doesn't carry lossless audio.

Quote:
And if I connect something, say a Wii, to my AVR using a component cable..and connect the AVR to my tv with an HDMI, is anything lost in thee signa as it goes from one type of connection to another?
Nothing would be lost if your AVR transcodes component to HDMI. I just had a look at the manual (PDF) and it says that it doesn't (pg. 59). So if you're connecting your Wii to your AVR using a component cable (see pg. 39 re. assigning a component video input) plus an optical cable for audio, you will need to run a component cable from your AVR to your TV for the Wii's video stream. (The Wii's audio stream will be switched to the AVR's HDMI output - see pg. 59.)

Last edited by 86eldel68-deactivated; 10-01-12 at 09:06 PM.
post #6 of 20 Old 10-01-12, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Awesome.

Thanks a lot for your response. I will be sure to use HDMI for everything...except for the Wii as you mentioned.

Thanks again..very helpful.
post #7 of 20 Old 10-01-12, 08:51 PM
Inactive

My System

Glad to help.
post #8 of 20 Old 10-02-12, 03:38 AM
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Quote:
eljay wrote: View Post
you'll only get whatever audio your TV sends to the optical output (up to a maximum of DD5.1 and DTS5.1).
I thought the optical out of a TV only was for digital TV channels and that it did not output 5.1 for other sources connected to it.

Hug your pet today!
post #9 of 20 Old 10-02-12, 06:53 AM
Inactive

My System

Quote:
I thought the optical out of a TV only was for digital TV channels and that it did not output 5.1 for other sources connected to it.
I'm not sure what gets output by a particular TV's optical digital output, but because it's an optical digital connection he won't get more than lossy 5.1. Which is why I said "you'll only get whatever audio your TV sends to the optical output (up to a maximum of DD5.1 and DTS5.1)."
post #10 of 20 Old 10-04-12, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I need some more help with my Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1.

I bolded the areas where my main concerns are.

I am trying to figure out the best listening modes for this device

Everything I am using is connected through HDMI.

My Listening mode on my PS3 reads as: MULTICH

Am I to assume that MULTICH means that my audio will be output whatever format my PS3 is recoginizing? Cause usually the receiver would display this information, but I guess the PS3 is deciding what the output is and then it is simply labeled as MULTICH. Is this correct?

Cause I am watching The Avengers on Blu Ray. When I check the audio output on my PS3, it says:
DTS-HD MA 7.1

But on my menu for listening modes on my receiver it reads as: MULTICH

Also, when watching TV from my Cable/Sat box, the Listening Mode reads as Dolby. Is this the best a Cable/Sat will output audio? Cause I don't have any other options other than Dolby.

And just to clarify, my receiver's listening modes are listed as being cable of producing DD,DD+,DD TrueHD,DTS, DTS-HD High, DTS-HD MA, and so on...