Wacky room speaker placement - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 3 Old 10-14-12, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Wacky room speaker placement

Hi. So i've done plenty of research on speaker placement (for a 5.1 system) and understand the basics pretty well. The problem is that I'm moving my setup into a room that is undesirable for an ideal theater arrangement. My question is this:

would it be better to have the mains spread out wider than usual and slightly off axis (one of the speakers might actually be closer to the listener than the other) but still around ear level OR get ceiling installations for the mains and possibly the center speaker that would be closer to the screen??

I hope my question makes sense, it would better to draw a diagram of the room, but for now i'll see if anyone has some advise.

Equipment:
Denon 1613 reciever
polk audio psw 110 sub
Pioneer SP-C21 center
Main and rear speakers yet to be decide (will be on par with the rest of the budget setup unfortunately..around 250/pair)

thanks, Goya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-14-12, 06:00 PM
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Re: Wacky room speaker placement

I think having the speakers close to ear level would be preferable to ceiling mounting, which would raise the soundfield well above the display. If your Denon has Audyssey, it will take care of the different distances (arrival time at your ears) and adjust the speaker levels to balance the system.

The only downside I see for widely spaced speakers is that side to side audio pans will be wider than the screen, which may sound unrealistic.

Hug your pet today!
post #3 of 3 Old 10-14-12, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Re: Wacky room speaker placement

thanks! i do have the audyssey calibration, so that will help a lot in any case. I was kind of thinking along the lines of spreading out my mains, it would be a lot easier and wouldn't have sound so far above the display.

are there any recommendations for decent mains? not too large, maybe bookshelf speakers around 250-300 a pair?

thanks again! Goya