OTA antenna and system set up - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 36 Old 09-09-13, 04:50 AM
Senior Shackster

Donnie

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to hyghwayman
Quote:
BD55 wrote: View Post
As an even less expensive option to some of the OTA antenna options out there to purchase there are many DIY antennas that work great. I built one for under $5 and it works awesome. Used aluminum foil, metal clothes hangers, scrap wood, and a cheap 75 ohm coax balun. I wish I remembered the site where I found mine, but it's one of the antennas with the four "Vees" on each side.
I built two antennas in 2006 / 2007 after learning that our local networks were pumping out HD pictures that looked as good as DVD's - Both are still in use, one in the attic and one mounted outside on the chimney. I'll edit and add some pics and more info when I get some PC time.
Note : an antenna is an antenna, there is no such thing as an HD antenna!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using HT Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

F.S. SB13-Ultra

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 Old 09-09-13, 05:44 AM
Senior Shackster

Donnie

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to hyghwayman
Re: OTA antenna and system set up

Here's the 1st antenna I built which is currently up in the attic based on the picture below.

F.S. SB13-Ultra

post #13 of 36 Old 09-10-13, 07:48 PM
Shackster

Smile Re: OTA antenna and system set up

if you keep basic cable & have a QAM tuner on your TV, you can get all your locals on HD...maybe worth it, depending on how expensive it is in your area...

post #14 of 36 Old 09-10-13, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Quote:
Sancho Panza wrote: View Post
if you keep basic cable & have a QAM tuner on your TV, you can get all your locals on HD...maybe worth it, depending on how expensive it is in your area...
We looked into that. Our bill would go down 20 dollars if we did that. Dropping TV all together would save us 70 dollars. We have Uverse and it requires an STB For every TV and a monthly fee for each STB.

Family Room-JVC LT-32X667, Sony BDP-S350, ATT Uverse DVR
Basement-Panasonic TC-P50X1, Sony BDP-S360, Onkyo TX-NR709, Energy C-C50, Energy C-200, Sony SA-W2500, Apple TV, WII, PS3 Super Slim, Mohu Leaf OTA
post #15 of 36 Old 09-13-13, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Looking at getting a TIVO to go with the OTA antenna. An antenna installer mentioned that with the TIVO you may be able to output over component and HDMI at the same time to 2 different TV's. Does anyone know if you can watch live TV over one output and recorded TV over another output at the same time?

The installer said we might avoid having to pay for 2 tivo's and the subscription for 2 this way.

Basement-Panasonic TC-P50X1, Sony BDP-S360, Onkyo TX-NR709, Energy C-C50, Energy C-200, Sony SA-W2500, Apple TV, WII, PS3 Super Slim, Mohu Leaf OTA
post #16 of 36 Old 09-13-13, 06:39 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

We have a pair of TiVo’s previous-generation models for OTA / DVR and have been pretty happy with them, save some glitches with the Netflix navigating.

It really wouldn’t be of much use to send the TiVo’s HDMI and component video out to two separate TVs, as they‘d both be receiving the same signal. AFAIK you can record one show and watch another - at least you can with ours; I’d be surprised if they had changed that. But independent viewing for two TVs will require two units.

Actually, the monthly service fee is for the on-screen guide and automatic recording capability. The OTA models will act as a tuner and DVR irrespective of subscribing to the service. You’d just have to do any recording manually.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #17 of 36 Old 09-13-13, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post

We have a pair of TiVo’s previous-generation models for OTA / DVR and have been pretty happy with them, save some glitches with the Netflix navigating.

It really wouldn’t be of much use to send the TiVo’s HDMI and component video out to two separate TVs, as they‘d both be receiving the same signal. AFAIK you can record one show and watch another - at least you can with ours; I’d be surprised if they had changed that. But independent viewing for two TVs will require two units.

Actually, the monthly service fee is for the on-screen guide and automatic recording capability. The OTA models will act as a tuner and DVR irrespective of subscribing to the service. You’d just have to do any recording manually.

Regards,
Wayne
I spoke with TIVO. A box won't output from both tuners to two TV's.
You must subsribe to the TIVO service for the boxes to work.

Looks like our best option if we want to use TIVO on two TV's is get the new Roamio box and a mini. That would cost us $21 a month and the purchase of the boxes ($300).

We may go old school and not even use a DVR. That will be like growing up in the 60's and 70's! Except we wouldn't have to smack the TV to get reception.

post #18 of 36 Old 09-14-13, 03:33 AM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

I assume you know to run the antenna through a surge protector...just mentioning it since no one else has. A lightning strike would reck your day.
post #19 of 36 Old 09-14-13, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
The second installer talked about that. I never would have thought about it.

post #20 of 36 Old 09-14-13, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post
I assume you know to run the antenna through a surge protector...just mentioning it since no one else has. A lightning strike would reck your day.
Can you recommend a good surge protector? I assume the TV signal would pass through the protector without any loss of TV signal? Would the antenna still need to be grounded as well?