OTA antenna and system set up - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 36 Old 09-14-13, 04:08 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: OTA antenna and system set up

I’ve always installed my antennas in the attic.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 Old 09-14-13, 07:23 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

This one has 8 outlets & 3 coax/antenna hook ups. Unless you have more devices, it's a good unit.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-Joules/1.html
post #23 of 36 Old 09-15-13, 02:18 PM
Senior Shackster

Donnie

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to hyghwayman

Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post
I assume you know to run the antenna through a surge protector...just mentioning it since no one else has. A lightning strike would reck your day.
+1 Tonto

I have both my homemade antennas properly grounded and passing through surge suppression devices just to be safe

F.S. SB13-Ultra

post #24 of 36 Old 09-15-13, 03:48 PM
Shackster

Mike

My System

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post

Iíve always installed my antennas in the attic.

Regards,
Wayne
+1 on the attic install. I found an old Wingard antenna brand new in a box for 20 bucks - used the rg6 cabling from a previous Dish Network installation to feed signal from the attic to my office and living room. If you are looking for a good indoor antenna, I had very good luck with the Terk HDTV I - The HDTVa has a small inline amp, but it my help in your environment. Both have UHF and VHF elements.
post #25 of 36 Old 09-15-13, 07:59 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

AFAIK surge protectors are only useful for surges in line voltage. I don’t think there’s anything that can help you in the event of a lightning strike.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #26 of 36 Old 09-15-13, 11:23 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

A full on lightning strike may be disastrous, but at least you have the comfort of knowing you covered by the units warranty.

From their warranty pamphlet:

Quote:
- The Ethereal connected equipment warranty does not cover loss or damage to equipment caused by acts of God (other than lightning)
Granted I'm not a legal expert, but I think this means your equipment would be covered.
post #27 of 36 Old 09-17-13, 12:27 PM

Using four kinds of filter circuitry to isolate and protect audio, video, digital and high current equipment, the Power Manager 1000 provides overload protection with a 120V/15A electrical rating. Use the front panel LCD display to monitor voltage and amperage levels.

Last edited by showtime; 09-17-13 at 12:51 PM.
post #28 of 36 Old 09-17-13, 01:30 PM
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System

You could build/buy a HTPC for less than $500 and get channel guides +dvr with no subscription fees. Better option than TiVO in my opinion. There are some solutions that could be had for as little as $200. BTW, I cut the cable four years ago and will never go back to the $100/month fees I was paying. Good for you!
post #29 of 36 Old 10-17-13, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
After several quotes to install an antenna on the roof, we are going to try indoor antennas first. $100 for 2 indoor antennas is better than $400 plus for an outdoor antenna and installation. I realize reception won't be as good. My question now applies to the AVR. My onkyo has preset macros. The watch TV one turns on the TV, AVR and then STB. If no STB is connected, will the macro skip the STB function and still turn on the TV and AVR? Or will I have to make my own macro?

Hoping to get one antenna next week and try it on both TV's. Then decide if we buy a second indoor antenna (Mohu leaf).

Family Room-JVC LT-32X667, Sony BDP-S350, ATT Uverse DVR
Basement-Panasonic TC-P50X1, Sony BDP-S360, Onkyo TX-NR709, Energy C-C50, Energy C-200, Sony SA-W2500, Apple TV, WII, PS3 Super Slim, Mohu Leaf OTA
post #30 of 36 Old 10-18-13, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
We got a Mohu leaf antenna today and I have been experimenting with it on our basement TV. I need to move it to an outside wall to see if I get better reception but the supplied rg59 cable is not long enough. I have some rg6 cable that I can connect it to. Will I lose much signal strength by connecting rg59 cable to rg6 cable?

Family Room-JVC LT-32X667, Sony BDP-S350, ATT Uverse DVR
Basement-Panasonic TC-P50X1, Sony BDP-S360, Onkyo TX-NR709, Energy C-C50, Energy C-200, Sony SA-W2500, Apple TV, WII, PS3 Super Slim, Mohu Leaf OTA