Onkyo HT-R380 receiver w/two subwoofers - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 03-08-14, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5
Onkyo HT-R380 receiver w/two subwoofers

Hi all, I was wondering if I'd be able to hook up two subs to my Onkyo HT-R380 receiver? I have two speakers connected to the "front speakers B" outputs in a separate floor in the house in serious need of some bass Below is a picture of the back of the receiver.

Yardley is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 03-08-14, 12:09 PM
Elite Shackster
 
tonyvdb's Avatar
Tony
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Can
Posts: 15,054
My System
Re: Onkyo HT-R380 receiver w/two subwoofers

As you already have two sets of speakers connected to the front speaker outputs it is going to be really hard on the amps. Connecting another sub to the receivers powered sub out will not be a good idea. Your already going to have issues with how it's hooked up now.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

tonyvdb is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 03-08-14, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5
Re: Onkyo HT-R380 receiver w/two subwoofers

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
As you already have two sets of speakers connected to the front speaker outputs it is going to be really hard on the amps. Connecting another sub to the receivers powered sub out will not be a good idea. Your already going to have issues with how it's hooked up now.
Sorry, I guess the way I worded that is confusing. I don't have two sets of speakers connected to the front speaker outputs. Well I guess I do but I have the speakers that came with the receiver connected and an additional two speakers connected to the speakers B outputs. Why would I have trouble with this setup? Isn't that what the speaker B outputs are for? I've been using this setup for a while with no issues.
Yardley is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 Old 03-08-14, 12:40 PM
Elite Shackster
 
tonyvdb's Avatar
Tony
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Can
Posts: 15,054
My System
Re: Onkyo HT-R380 receiver w/two subwoofers

Quote:
Yardley wrote: View Post
Sorry, I guess the way I worded that is confusing. I don't have two sets of speakers connected to the front speaker outputs. Well I guess I do but I have the speakers that came with the receiver connected and an additional two speakers connected to the speakers B outputs. Why would I have trouble with this setup? Isn't that what the speaker B outputs are for? I've been using this setup for a while with no issues.
The "B speaker outputs" essentially drops the output of the main two channels by half for each set so you will then only have half the available power for each speaker. I'm surprised you are not running into distortion issues but if it sounds good that's all the matters.
Like I said adding a second sub to the powered sup out on the receiver will drop the Ohms down way to low and essentially a short and will damage it.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

tonyvdb is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 03-08-14, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5
Re: Onkyo HT-R380 receiver w/two subwoofers

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
The "B speaker outputs" essentially drops the output of the main two channels by half for each set so you will then only have half the available power for each speaker. I'm surprised you are not running into distortion issues but if it sounds good that's all the matters.
Like I said adding a second sub to the powered sup out on the receiver will drop the Ohms down way to low and essentially a short and will damage it.
Hmm, well when I enable both A and B speakers the center speaker and surround spears are automatically disabled so I guess that compensates for the power used by the additional B speakers.
Yardley is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 03-08-14, 01:53 PM
Elite Shackster
 
tonyvdb's Avatar
Tony
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Can
Posts: 15,054
My System
Re: Onkyo HT-R380 receiver w/two subwoofers

Quote:
Yardley wrote: View Post
Hmm, well when I enable both A and B speakers the center speaker and surround spears are automatically disabled so I guess that compensates for the power used by the additional B speakers.
Yes, that's very likely. The receiver you have is very low end and I would not expect it to Handel much so go easy on it and it will do just fine.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

tonyvdb is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 03-08-14, 03:19 PM
Shackster
 
eyespy39's Avatar
eyespy39
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 32
My System
Re: Onkyo HT-R380 receiver w/two subwoofers

Quote:
Yardley wrote: View Post
Hmm, well when I enable both A and B speakers the center speaker and surround spears are automatically disabled so I guess that compensates for the power used by the additional B speakers.
Many active subwoofers offer high level input and output. You might run your front speaker lines from your AVR into the high level input posts of such a SW and then connect the speakers to its high level output posts.
The SW filters out the low frequencies, augments them and plays them, leaving the mids and highs to the connected speakers.
eyespy39 is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 03-08-14, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5
Re: Onkyo HT-R380 receiver w/two subwoofers

Quote:
eyespy39 wrote: View Post
Many active subwoofers offer high level input and output. You might run your front speaker lines from your AVR into the high level input posts of such a SW and then connect the speakers to its high level output posts.
The SW filters out the low frequencies, augments them and plays them, leaving the mids and highs to the connected speakers.
That sounds like a good option for me. So I would go from my AVR front speaker B L/R out into the sub and then connect the speakers directly to the sub?
Yardley is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 03-08-14, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5
Re: Onkyo HT-R380 receiver w/two subwoofers

I found a powered sub on craigslist the back has speaker level input/output, is that the same as high level?
Yardley is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 03-08-14, 06:39 PM
Elite Shackster
 
tonyvdb's Avatar
Tony
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Can
Posts: 15,054
My System
Re: Onkyo HT-R380 receiver w/two subwoofers

Quote:
Yardley wrote: View Post
I found a powered sub on craigslist the back has speaker level input/output, is that the same as high level?
Yes, that will do the job

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

tonyvdb is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
htr380 , onkyo , receiver , subwoofers , w or two

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome