Help with dual passive sub hookup to old reciever - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 25 Old 03-08-14, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Maverick

Help with dual passive sub hookup to old reciever

I'm set on buying a pair of 10 inch Monoprice passive in-wall subs and I'm not sure if I could use my old receiver as a dedicated amp for them.

Here's how I understand it but I'm not sure if it will work or if there's not a more suited solution as I have never done this before.

So I would be connecting both subwoofer outs from my new receiver (presumably a Yamaha RX-A830 or another similar 7.2 receiver, I have yet to decide) to two rca inputs on my old Pioneer VSX-D1S. I'm guessing I would need a "Y" splitter to split the subwoofer out of my new reciever to connect to both left and right inputs on the old receiver. On the attached image I would be using VCR 1 and 2 inputs on the old receiver as signal in.

Then I would use speaker cables to hookup the front speaker output of my left and right channels to each of the two subs.

I would then set the old receivers volume at a balanced volume and leave it there using the new receiver for general volume adjustment (including the sub).

I'm no expert so any input is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with dual passive sub hookup to old reciever-rear-d1s.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-08-14, 06:10 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Re: Help with dual passive sub hookup to old reciever

Quote:
maverick_goose wrote: View Post
I'm set on buying a pair of 10 inch Monoprice passive in-wall subs and I'm not sure if I could use my old receiver as a dedicated amp for them.

Here's how I understand it but I'm not sure if it will work or if there's not a more suited solution as I have never done this before.

So I would be connecting both subwoofer outs from my new receiver (presumably a Yamaha RX-A830 or another similar 7.2 receiver, I have yet to decide) to two rca inputs on my old Pioneer VSX-D1S. I'm guessing I would need a "Y" splitter to split the subwoofer out of my new reciever to connect to both left and right inputs on the old receiver. On the attached image I would be using VCR 1 and 2 inputs on the old receiver as signal in.

Then I would use speaker cables to hookup the front speaker output of my left and right channels to each of the two subs.

I would then set the old receivers volume at a balanced volume and leave it there using the new receiver for general volume adjustment (including the sub).

I'm no expert so any input is appreciated.
Seems proper.

Kal Rubinson
post #3 of 25 Old 03-08-14, 08:32 PM
Senior Shackster
Jeff Grucella

My System

I'm just curious but how are you going to set both VCR inputs to on at the same time so both subs are powered ? on my pre/pro I can only run one input at a time or am I misunderstanding how this would work

post #4 of 25 Old 03-09-14, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Maverick

Quote:
flamingeye wrote: View Post
I'm just curious but how are you going to set both VCR inputs to on at the same time so both subs are powered ? on my pre/pro I can only run one input at a time or am I misunderstanding how this would work
By switching between them back and forth, real fast

Obviously, I hadn't thought this through.

If I drop the "Y" splitter and send each sub out from the new receiver to the left and right channel of the same rca input (say VCR1), would that work? Any drawbacks?
post #5 of 25 Old 03-09-14, 10:14 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Keep in mind that a receiver will not supply enough power to drive even a 10" sub . You won't get very good results going that route.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #6 of 25 Old 03-09-14, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Maverick

I was wondering about that. My old Pioneer VSX-D1S is rated at 130W x 2 for the front speakers. What kind of power would be required?
post #7 of 25 Old 03-09-14, 12:18 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

It would be very unlikely that you would get more than 90watts per channel out of it. Subs are very demanding on power and I would say that no less than 250 watts would be required to get anything reasonable out of them.

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #8 of 25 Old 03-10-14, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Maverick

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
It would be very unlikely that you would get more than 90watts per channel out of it. Subs are very demanding on power and I would say that no less than 250 watts would be required to get anything reasonable out of them.
I'm sorry if these seems like really trivial questions, I'm sure there's a very simple logical audio explanation that I'm missing. Why would a 130 watt at 8 ohm rated receiver only deliver 90 watts? The other question would be why would we need a 250 watt amp for driving a 100 watt at 8 ohm rated sub?
post #9 of 25 Old 03-10-14, 08:44 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Receiver companies test there receiver using a 1kHz test tone to get the wattage specification. As music/movies are much more dynamic than a 1kHz tone that number you see is over rated and well documented. The power supply in most receivers is unable to maintain enough current to power the internal amps to their full potential.
The sub may be rated to handle 100watts but will draw more then that before hitting its max output plus the receiver does not have a high pass filter meaning you will be sending whatever the audio signal is to the sub. A 10" driver wont handle frequencies below around 20Hz very well.

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #10 of 25 Old 03-10-14, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Maverick

OK I think I get the power part, but I thought the sub out from the new receiver would handle the filtering part for the old receiver.

Just before I discard my old receiver for the job, I read reports of people driving one of these subs with a 100 watt (2 x 50) amp bridged to mono. How is that better than my situation?