New TV / PS3 / Surround Sound Woes - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 3 Old 03-25-14, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

New TV / PS3 / Surround Sound Woes

Hi everyone! Bit of background first. Five years ago I bought my first Sony Bravia LCD TV and a Sony DVD Player / Surround Sound System as well as a ps3. Everything with that was fine, I used fibre optic to get 5.1 sound from games, blurays etc to the surround sound system and everything was fine. A month ago my TV dies, I take advantage of this horrid situation by buying a big new Samsung 60 inch LED TV. This is where my problems start. It's a Smart TV and I will now be running my hard drive through the television for viewing of mkv, mp4 files etc straight through the TV instead of via the ps3. Obviously I want 5.1 for this so I use fibre optic to go from the TV to the sound system (the sound system only has one fibre optic imput). So now my hard drive works in 5.1, as do my local television stations. I then connect ps3 to new TV via HDMI and manually fiddle around with the settings on the ps3 so my blurays are outputting visual and audio through the TV, and the TV is then outputting the audio to the surround sound. That works fine. Two weeks later and I go to play a ps3 game. For some reason, the background sound is coming through fine, the characters voices in the cutscenes, are not present at all. The characters are miming onscreen and I don't lip read well. So I play around with the settings more, still can't get anything to work. So I go back to the old school way of HDMI from ps3 to TV for picture and fibre optic to surround sound (thinking I might just need to invest in a splitter), and the sound all works perfect, but my TV is noticeably lagging behind my audio. This is the case with blurays and dvd's with this set up also. I don't really have enough knowledge of this sort of thing to know what I can do to fix any of this. I don't even know if the set up I have even counts as a "home theatre" system as such but I'm normally pretty tech savvy and I cannot for the life if me work out what I need to do to fix this Any advice would be fantastic. My wife is going away this weekend so a functioning ps3 with surround on my shiny new TV is more important than ever!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-25-14, 12:03 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System
Re: New TV / PS3 / Surround Sound Woes

in your ps3 settings.... make sure your ps3 is outputting PCM to the TV and not bitstreaming. that could very well be your "miming" problem
post #3 of 3 Old 03-25-14, 01:37 PM
Senior Shackster

Rich

Quote:
Mike Edwards wrote: View Post
in your ps3 settings.... make sure your ps3 is outputting PCM to the TV and not bitstreaming. that could very well be your "miming" problem
+1

Of that does not work. Just reset your ps3. That fixed mine.