What is the best way to connect my components? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-10-14, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
ryan
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 70
What is the best way to connect my components?

Hello Forum Members:
What is the best way to connect my components?
This is what I have:
Laptop used for its CD player and streaming music
Audioengine D1 24-BIT DAC
Pioneer SX-303R Stereo Receiver: This receiver does not have a aux out or line out RCA
Sub with Dayton Audio SPA250 250 Watt Subwoofer Plate Amplifier
L and R main speakers only with speaker wire binding post connections

Can I do this:
Audioengine out>input in on sub>output from sub>to CD input on Pioneer Receiver>from Pioneer Receiver L and R speaker wire to L and R main speakers? If this does work does the sub get crossed over and I use the crossover on the sub amp to control sub bass?
Or is it better to use the High Level In/Out on the sub amp? If I use this method does the sub get crossed over?

Thank you for your help.
rentonhighlands is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 10-10-14, 10:48 AM
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 512
Re: What is the best way to connect my components?

Quote:
rentonhighlands wrote: View Post
Hello Forum Members:
What is the best way to connect my components?
This is what I have:
Laptop used for its CD player and streaming music
Audioengine D1 24-BIT DAC
Pioneer SX-303R Stereo Receiver: This receiver does not have a aux out or line out RCA
Sub with Dayton Audio SPA250 250 Watt Subwoofer Plate Amplifier
L and R main speakers only with speaker wire binding post connections

Can I do this:
Audioengine out>input in on sub>output from sub>to CD input on Pioneer Receiver>from Pioneer Receiver L and R speaker wire to L and R main speakers? If this does work does the sub get crossed over and I use the crossover on the sub amp to control sub bass?
Or is it better to use the High Level In/Out on the sub amp? If I use this method does the sub get crossed over?


Thank you for your help.
That won't work, you won't have volume control for the sub.

Go Audio Engine > Pioneer CD in > Pioneer Speaker outputs to Dayton Speaker In > Dayton Speaker Out > L/R speakers.
gazoink is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 10-10-14, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
ryan
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 70
Re: What is the best way to connect my components?

Thank you:
Just so I am clear go DAC> to CD input (RCA's) then > use the High Level In/Out From Amplifier and To speakers connections on the sub plate amp? This way I will be using speaker wire for my connections. What is the minimum gauge wire I should use? Would 16 AWG wire work ok?
Will the sub be crossed over using this wiring setup?


https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ifier--300-803
rentonhighlands is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 Old 10-10-14, 12:06 PM
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 512
Re: What is the best way to connect my components?

Quote:
rentonhighlands wrote: View Post
Thank you:
Just so I am clear go DAC> to CD input (RCA's) then > use the High Level In/Out From Amplifier and To speakers connections on the sub plate amp?
Yes, from Pioneer speaker outs > Dayton High level in, Dayton High level out > speakers.
Quote:
rentonhighlands wrote: View Post
This way I will be using speaker wire for my connections.
Right.
Quote:
rentonhighlands wrote: View Post
What is the minimum gauge wire I should use? Would 16 AWG wire work ok?
16ga is fine.
Quote:
rentonhighlands wrote: View Post
Will the sub be crossed over using this wiring setup?
Yes, partially. The L/R will be crossed at 125Hz with a 6dB/octave passive network, the sub crossover is still variable at 24dB/octave.

It's all in the manual.
gazoink is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 10-13-14, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
ryan
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 70
Re: What is the best way to connect my components?

Is there a way I can hook my sub up where it can be separate of my L+R speakers. In other words I want to be able to control the volume of my L+R speakers separate of the sub. When I turn up the volume on the receiver I want it to only turn up the L+R speakers.

Also would the forum members suggest adding a EQ to my system. What EQ between $100-$300 would members suggest?
rentonhighlands is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 10-13-14, 12:12 PM
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 512
Re: What is the best way to connect my components?

Quote:
rentonhighlands wrote: View Post
Is there a way I can hook my sub up where it can be separate of my L+R speakers. In other words I want to be able to control the volume of my L+R speakers separate of the sub. When I turn up the volume on the receiver I want it to only turn up the L+R speakers.

Also would the forum members suggest adding a EQ to my system. What EQ between $100-$300 would members suggest?
Can't imagine why anyone would want to do this, but your original suggested setup did exactly that. That means every volume adjustment requires you to adjust the sub level separately. The problem with this is, subs work when calibrated to the rest of the system. The calibration is critical to performance. If you have separate controls for your sub and mains there's no hope of calibration ever.
gazoink is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 10-13-14, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
ryan
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 70
Re: What is the best way to connect my components?

The reason I want to do this is because the sub is just to loud in volume and not very tight. I just can not get the sub and the mains to mesh together very well.
rentonhighlands is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
components , connect

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome