Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   System Setup and Connection (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/system-setup-connection/)
-   -   Newbie here advice would be appreciated (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/system-setup-connection/61976-newbie-here-advice-would-appreciated.html)

Wheels1974 10-07-12 12:38 AM

Re: Newbie here advice would be appreciated

Quote:

Andre wrote: (Post 553320)
Reading more about the black screen I can see how it would be very benefical to you especially if you room won't be completely dark for watching. http://www.trustedreviews.com/screen...ojector_review

My Trophy Room gets almost pitch black when everything is shut and with no lights on.
When walking in the room there are 2 large windows on the left that have electric shutters which block out 95% of the light and when the curtains are drawn there's no light at all entering the room from these 2 windows.
On the right side I have 3 small windows that are 2 feet wide by 7 feet high, each window are always closed with timber Venetian blinds which still let in a little light on that right side, as I just closed all blinds, curtains, lights and TV off just to see how much light actually enters the room through these 3 small windows.
The best way to explain it would be to say a little light enters the right side from these 3 windows as I can see that the rock wall is a little brighter on the right side compared to the left side. The room it self I wouldn't say gets to pitch black once everything is off, but the room is defiantly very very dark once everything is closed.
If I turn my 60" rear projection TV on, you still need to watch where your walking otherwise you'll walk into a animal.

To give you a better idea, there is no way you can read a thing if your sitting even 10 feet away from the TV while its on, no matter how big the TEXT is on your book. It's fair to say this room is as dark, actually id even say its darker then any cinema with my 60" rear projection TV on. However in saying that everything else is closed and off in the room.
So it might not be worth me just concentrating on just a Black Diamond screen unless they are one of the best screens on the market while in a very dark room

Regards
Dean

Wheels1974 10-07-12 03:21 AM

Quote:

Andre wrote: (Post 553320)
Reading more about the black screen I can see how it would be very benefical to you especially if you room won't be completely dark for watching. http://www.trustedreviews.com/screen...ojector_review

I just wanted to let you know that I just found a Black Diamond distributor here in Australia.
This is there link: http://networkav.com.au/screens

I'm going to email them and ask them how much will it cost for a 150" Motorized Black Diamond screen that is excellent for both 2D and 3D. As far as I can understand when purchasing a BD screen there is no need for masking.

I copied this and pasted it below, what BD stipulate. I don't really understand why BD screens don't need to be masked
* Screen Innovations has a competitive range of screens for any Video application.
* Aspect ratios include 4:3, 16:9, 16:10, 2:40 and 235:1
* Size from 80-215 inches * when using the Black Diamond screen no masking is needed
* reference screens are available in 6 different materials; including woven acoustic transparent
* curved screens available in 2:35 & 2:40 for a true home cinema experience
* 2K, 4K & 3D ready

When I hear back from them with a quote, I will let you know. I may fall off my chair when I see the price... :dontknow:

Regards
Dean

Andre 10-11-12 09:47 AM

Sorry I haven’t responded in a bit, I had a problem with my shack account and was locked out….sob..:)

Between the Integra and the NAD I would still choose the Integra because of the Audyessy room EQ

The Panny 8000 allows you to change the aspect ratio of the movie to fit how it was filmed. I.e. if it was filmed 16:9 you wouldn’t “expand” it to 2.35 as you would see the picture “stretched” and it wouldn’t look good. However, if the film was done in 2.35 and you watched it in 16:9 you would “lose” the extra picture that 2.35 provides (i.e. the picture would be cropped). So the project lets you maximise to 2.35 IF that aspect is available in the recording your have. The movie packaging should tell you how the movie was recorded.

So if your movie is inherently 16:9 and you watch it on a White 2.35 screen without a masking system your picture isn’t a crisp rectangle, the masking system is black and absorbs the light coming from the projector giving you a nice edged screen. Without that the extra white sides of the 2.35 screen reflects the light which in turn can bleed out the colors and the brightness of the edge of the movie, decreasing the wow and awesomeness..:)

The Black Diamond doesn’t need the masking system because it’s “Black”. Normally this would be ludicrous because a black screen will absorb all the light of the projector and you wouldn’t be able to see a picture, however, they figured out a way around that, don’t ask me how, its supposedly a company secret, but whatever they did according to reviews it works. Additionally, and this is good for you, you can watch a movie without having the room in pitch darkness for the best picture. You can have ambient lighting so that you can move around without bumping into anything.

A professionally programmed system remote from AMX, Control 4, Savant, and Creston will be able to store multiple functions in one push of a button. Example, you’ve put the DVD into the machine and have now placed yourself dead centre to watch. Your control could have a button that is labelled “watch movie”. You press this and:

The lights dim, the screen comes down, the receiver turns on, selects the appropriate input, the blu-ray starts playing. You can have another button for “Pause” which pauses the movie and brings up the lights….with the right dimmer and switches you can do almost anything your heart desires.

Wheels1974 10-12-12 05:39 AM

Quote:

Andre wrote: (Post 554609)
Sorry I haven’t responded in a bit, I had a problem with my shack account and was locked out….sob..:)

Between the Integra and the NAD I would still choose the Integra because of the Audyessy room EQ

The Panny 8000 allows you to change the aspect ratio of the movie to fit how it was filmed. I.e. if it was filmed 16:9 you wouldn’t “expand” it to 2.35 as you would see the picture “stretched” and it wouldn’t look good. However, if the film was done in 2.35 and you watched it in 16:9 you would “lose” the extra picture that 2.35 provides (i.e. the picture would be cropped). So the project lets you maximise to 2.35 IF that aspect is available in the recording your have. The movie packaging should tell you how the movie was recorded.

So if your movie is inherently 16:9 and you watch it on a White 2.35 screen without a masking system your picture isn’t a crisp rectangle, the masking system is black and absorbs the light coming from the projector giving you a nice edged screen. Without that the extra white sides of the 2.35 screen reflects the light which in turn can bleed out the colors and the brightness of the edge of the movie, decreasing the wow and awesomeness..:)

The Black Diamond doesn’t need the masking system because it’s “Black”. Normally this would be ludicrous because a black screen will absorb all the light of the projector and you wouldn’t be able to see a picture, however, they figured out a way around that, don’t ask me how, its supposedly a company secret, but whatever they did according to reviews it works. Additionally, and this is good for you, you can watch a movie without having the room in pitch darkness for the best picture. You can have ambient lighting so that you can move around without bumping into anything.

A professionally programmed system remote from AMX, Control 4, Savant, and Creston will be able to store multiple functions in one push of a button. Example, you’ve put the DVD into the machine and have now placed yourself dead centre to watch. Your control could have a button that is labelled “watch movie”. You press this and:

The lights dim, the screen comes down, the receiver turns on, selects the appropriate input, the blu-ray starts playing. You can have another button for “Pause” which pauses the movie and brings up the lights….with the right dimmer and switches you can do almost anything your heart desires.

Andre,
Glad to see you have worked things out with your Shack account, welcome back mate.
I am strongly considering getting a screen in 2.35 because I will be watching movies on this most of the time and from all my research 80% of movies are recorded in the 2.35 aspect ratio, that's really the only reason why I'm leading towards a screen in 2.35

I have decided against Black Diamond, they quoted me $15,000 for a motorised screen in 147" they said they don't go bigger then 147" and there motorised screen isn't even tentioned which I think is far to expensive.
If my room had problems with controlling ambient light then I can totally understand looking into the Black Diamond screen but because I can control the light theres no way I'll be paying that much.

I got a quote from Technics Screens, they quoted me $6,940 for a 170" screen in 2.35 with Matrix white and flocking with motorised dual masking, it's there top of the line screen. They genrally don't go larger then 150" which is $5,940 but they said that they will do a 170" if that's what I wanted.

I LOVE the sound of that AMX remote control, that would make life a little easier and will make note of that.

I have been reading more and more about the Sony 95ES, almost all the reveiws I have read about it mention that when watching 3D then its reccomended that the screen is no larger then 100" for 3D viewing due to the darkness. I really started to like what I read about this projector apart from that fact.
I really want to go and look at this Sony 95ES and see it projecting a image within the next couple of weeks.

I also want to check out the Epson TW9000 because I need a black projector, the more common Epson TW9000W is white and most people I speak to have never heard of the Epson TW9000, The differences being that the TW9000W is white and ships with a WirelessHD transmission system while the
TW9000 is black and doesn’t support wireless video transmission.

Regards
Dean

Andre 10-15-12 10:57 AM

You will have to pick your projector Before you order a screen. The reason being is that the company you buy from will have to calculate the screen Gain (the higher the gain the more reflective, lower brightness projectors will require a higher gain screen). The screen brightness you will want to hit is about 14FL at the screen minimum for 3D viewing.

You will want to make sure the projector you purchase will be able to project an image of the size you wish at the distance it will be placed (different lenses and zoom ratios will make this different from projector to projector)

If the projector you purchase does not have a power zoom freature that allows the automatic adjustment from 16:9 to 2.35 you will have to purchase an anamorphic lens (which will need a special mount, and will also have to be motorized which will cost big $$). I don't know which others besides the panny that has this feature.

Doing a Feature search on www.projectorcentral.com I asked for

1080 HD, Full 3D, 170" image at 20foot throw distance, Power Zoom, Power Focus, Vertical & Horizontal lens shift, with a price under 3k and only got the Panny 7000/8000 and the JVC DLA-RS40