Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   System Setup and Connection (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/system-setup-connection/)
-   -   What is the best way to connect my components? (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/system-setup-connection/96177-what-best-way-connect-my-components.html)

rentonhighlands 10-10-14 09:54 AM

What is the best way to connect my components?

Hello Forum Members:
This is what I have:
Laptop used for its CD player and streaming music
Audioengine D1 24-BIT DAC
Pioneer SX-303R Stereo Receiver: This receiver does not have a aux out or line out RCA
Sub with Dayton Audio SPA250 250 Watt Subwoofer Plate Amplifier
L and R main speakers only with speaker wire binding post connections

Can I do this:
Audioengine out>input in on sub>output from sub>to CD input on Pioneer Receiver>from Pioneer Receiver L and R speaker wire to L and R main speakers? If this does work does the sub get crossed over and I use the crossover on the sub amp to control sub bass?
Or is it better to use the High Level In/Out on the sub amp? If I use this method does the sub get crossed over?

Thank you for your help.

gazoink 10-10-14 10:48 AM

Re: What is the best way to connect my components?

Quote:

rentonhighlands wrote: (Post 947713)
Hello Forum Members:
This is what I have:
Laptop used for its CD player and streaming music
Audioengine D1 24-BIT DAC
Pioneer SX-303R Stereo Receiver: This receiver does not have a aux out or line out RCA
Sub with Dayton Audio SPA250 250 Watt Subwoofer Plate Amplifier
L and R main speakers only with speaker wire binding post connections

Can I do this:
Audioengine out>input in on sub>output from sub>to CD input on Pioneer Receiver>from Pioneer Receiver L and R speaker wire to L and R main speakers? If this does work does the sub get crossed over and I use the crossover on the sub amp to control sub bass?
Or is it better to use the High Level In/Out on the sub amp? If I use this method does the sub get crossed over?

Thank you for your help.

That won't work, you won't have volume control for the sub.

Go Audio Engine > Pioneer CD in > Pioneer Speaker outputs to Dayton Speaker In > Dayton Speaker Out > L/R speakers.

rentonhighlands 10-10-14 11:19 AM

Thank you:
Just so I am clear go DAC> to CD input (RCA's) then > use the High Level In/Out From Amplifier and To speakers connections on the sub plate amp? This way I will be using speaker wire for my connections. What is the minimum gauge wire I should use? Would 16 AWG wire work ok?
Will the sub be crossed over using this wiring setup?

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ifier--300-803

gazoink 10-10-14 12:06 PM

Quote:

rentonhighlands wrote: (Post 947881)
Thank you:
Just so I am clear go DAC> to CD input (RCA's) then > use the High Level In/Out From Amplifier and To speakers connections on the sub plate amp?

Yes, from Pioneer speaker outs > Dayton High level in, Dayton High level out > speakers.
Quote:

This way I will be using speaker wire for my connections.

Right.
Quote:

What is the minimum gauge wire I should use? Would 16 AWG wire work ok?

16ga is fine.
Quote:

Will the sub be crossed over using this wiring setup?

Yes, partially. The L/R will be crossed at 125Hz with a 6dB/octave passive network, the sub crossover is still variable at 24dB/octave.

It's all in the manual.

rentonhighlands 10-13-14 10:07 AM

Is there a way I can hook my sub up where it can be separate of my L+R speakers. In other words I want to be able to control the volume of my L+R speakers separate of the sub. When I turn up the volume on the receiver I want it to only turn up the L+R speakers.

Also would the forum members suggest adding a EQ to my system. What EQ between $100-$300 would members suggest?

gazoink 10-13-14 12:12 PM

Quote:

rentonhighlands wrote: (Post 950873)
Is there a way I can hook my sub up where it can be separate of my L+R speakers. In other words I want to be able to control the volume of my L+R speakers separate of the sub. When I turn up the volume on the receiver I want it to only turn up the L+R speakers.

Also would the forum members suggest adding a EQ to my system. What EQ between $100-$300 would members suggest?

Can't imagine why anyone would want to do this, but your original suggested setup did exactly that. That means every volume adjustment requires you to adjust the sub level separately. The problem with this is, subs work when calibrated to the rest of the system. The calibration is critical to performance. If you have separate controls for your sub and mains there's no hope of calibration ever.

rentonhighlands 10-13-14 12:22 PM

The reason I want to do this is because the sub is just to loud in volume and not very tight. I just can not get the sub and the mains to mesh together very well.