Need advise for a good Amp for LS50. - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 26 Old 01-21-15, 11:31 AM
Shackster

Re: Need advise for a good Amp for LS50.

The LS50 have no mid and no bass, buy a tower instead because the money on the amp will be wasted with the LS50.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 01-21-15, 12:11 PM
pxj
Shackster

Quote:
ilok wrote: View Post
The LS50 have no mid and no bass, buy a tower instead because the money on the amp will be wasted with the LS50.
I use mine with a Rythmik F12se and it works great. It really depends on where you use your speakers. I have towers but in my small area the kefs and the sub work great and sound great.
post #13 of 26 Old 01-21-15, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
ilok wrote: View Post
I have spent close to a month with LS50. What I see is extraordinary clarity and uniformity. So far I have not used a sub but it sound good. I am afraid that if the sub is not of good quality and is not matched well in volume and phase, it will take away from incredible clarity, imaging and uniformity.

For the first few weeks I was wondering what was all the fuss about in all magazine reviews. But after 30 days, I now see why all the magazine were raving about it. For casual listener, who is looking for bright peaks, extraordinary amount of bass or deep low end, it will disappoint. But if you are a long term listener, especially listening to jazz and vocals, the clarity and uniformity will amaze you.

We can say that it excels in quality at the expense of quantity (of bass or sound level).

post #14 of 26 Old 03-22-15, 09:45 AM
Shackster

Smile Re: Need advise for a good Amp for LS50.

I've heard the LS-50's w/a Prima Luna Prologue Premium Integrated and found it to be a great match. Unlike solid state you can change flavors. The Premium takes a wide variety of tubes. You can use EL-34's, KT-88's or KT-120's.
post #15 of 26 Old 03-23-15, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I have a new ls50 and am also looking to purchase an amp. I have one used available herefrom a private party and wanted to see if anyone has used it with LS50. The amp is Yamaha M-70.

Also if someone has some pointers on how to check it out before purchase, love to hear that as well.
post #16 of 26 Old 03-24-15, 06:56 AM
Shackster

FWIW,

My brother has the white ls50 and he uses a denon X4000 with an Emotiva UPA - 200 (Only b/c it's the only amp that would fit in his cabinet) with a REL T5 sub in a room 34x38 with a 22' ceiling and that thing cranks! Completely blown away! Those speakers are labeled as nearfield monitors but we were standing 25' back and they sounded amazing. I was not expecting them to fill the room but all I can say is WOW! Simply impressive!
post #17 of 26 Old 03-24-15, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks jb. I have heard a few people praise rel t5. Although it is only 8 inch driver with 125 watts, it somehow produces very musical low end. Can someone explain why?
post #18 of 26 Old 03-25-15, 05:56 AM
Shackster

I can't explain it - I am dumbfounded! The T5 is this tiny little cube but it fills his room just right for music. Speaking of music it is extremely musical as all Rel subs are. They are not a subwoofer as a dealer tried explaining to me - they are a sub speaker they connect directly to the binding posts and play the same signal as your speakers get and just carry the signal down below where your speakers can't play so it is pretty much seamless. Not sure on how they do it, all I know is it sounds outstanding for what it is and the size it is!
post #19 of 26 Old 03-26-15, 12:27 PM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Quote:
shkumar4963 wrote: View Post
Thanks jb. I have heard a few people praise rel t5. Although it is only 8 inch driver with 125 watts, it somehow produces very musical low end. Can someone explain why?
Here's a mainstream review that does a good job.

I have a T-9 in a smallish ~10x13 home theater setup. Incredible impact and realism for movies. Proper positioning really does get the room pressurized instead of just full-of-bass. You can actually feel a movie explosion hit you in the chest. The T-Rex from Jurassic Park? Yup, feel its footsteps through the concrete slab that is my floor. The T-9 is not in my main music-listening system, but I do play music videos and the occasional CD/SACD.

Integrating the sub correctly is not as easy as the (somewhat) vague instructions in the user manual would have you believe. If you do it by ear, use a variety of test and demo material for setup, and take your time with lots of breaks to avoid listener fatigue. If you have the equipment and experience, then integrate it using acoustic measurement software such as REW and room correction such as Dirac Live.
post #20 of 26 Old 03-26-15, 12:44 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
jb5200 wrote: View Post
They are not a subwoofer as a dealer tried explaining to me - they are a sub speaker they connect directly to the binding posts and play the same signal as your speakers
I think this explains it about as best you can get. REL is a "musical sub" it is not good for anything but that. Even the T-9 only goes down to 28Hz and thats already down -6db according to the specification sheet.
If you use them for home theater be warned that are missing out on alot of the real impact of the soundtrack.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900