Need advise for a good Amp for LS50. - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 26 Old 12-13-14, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Need advise for a good Amp for LS50.

Amplifier measurement that determine amplifier quality
We all know RMS power capacity, dynamic power capacity, frequency response, current capacity, output impedence and distortion are important measures.

What else is important in an amplifier. How can we tell an amplifier is of high quality based on hard engineering measurements.

I know that auditioning is needed to detect finer points of amplifier design. But here I am looking for things that can be objectively measured.

What can we measure in NAD and Parasound that is not available in Yamaha, Denon or Onkyo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 12-14-14, 07:15 AM
HTS Moderator

AJ

My System
Re: Need advise for a good Amp for LS50.

Quote:
shkumar4963 wrote: View Post
What else is important in an amplifier.
Price
Looks
Street cred/bragging rights/pride of ownership
Cognizance it's part of a system, including loudspeakers
Your preferences

Quote:
I know that auditioning is needed to detect finer points of amplifier design.
Not for all of us, but if that floats your boat, please correctly state it as "experiencing", since your eyes will be open and for humans, that has consequences.

Quote:
But here I am looking for things that can be objectively measured.
You mentioned most, then there's low level linearity, PowerCube performance, etc.
However, your subjective preference is not objectively measured and in the end, that's all that matters in these discussions.

Quote:
What can we measure in NAD and Parasound that is not available in Yamaha, Denon or Onkyo.
The brand names with our eyes.

Your amp options for the LS50s will depend in some part on objective measures and some part on you. Price range? How loud do you listen? What dynamic range music? What size room? Black or Silver? Small or large?

cheers,

AJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 26 Old 12-22-14, 11:52 AM
Shackster

Your ear. Trust nothing else.

post #4 of 26 Old 12-22-14, 03:08 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
ilok wrote: View Post
Your ear. Trust nothing else.
Yep, and in your room, not in a showroom.
post #5 of 26 Old 01-20-15, 09:44 AM
pxj
Shackster

I have a pair of the LS50's. I used my Quicksilver Mid Mono's (40watts), sounds great, I've used my Vincent Sp331MK (150watts per) sounds great, I've used my Pass Labs 30.5 sounds great. My room 14x12x10. I don't play my music are loud levels 70-85db is about it for my taste for average listening. Jazz, smooth jazz, classic rock, blues, some classical. Source Apollo R, or Micro Seki BL91, or a Teac UD501 dac.

Get a pair in your home and listen.
post #6 of 26 Old 01-20-15, 10:41 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Given the LS50's amp requirements are 25-100watts and their frequency response is only 79Hz - 28kHz. Your not going to need alot of power. Are you looking for something warm sounding? Look at getting a nice tube amp. If you want traditional power the options are endless. Emotiva, Yamaha Samson, QSC, and the list goes on.
The Emotiva XPA 200 would be a very nice choice.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #7 of 26 Old 01-20-15, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Given the LS50's amp requirements are 25-100watts and their frequency response is only 79Hz - 28kHz. Your not going to need alot of power. Are you looking for something warm sounding? Look at getting a nice tube amp. If you want traditional power the options are endless. Emotiva, Yamaha Samson, QSC, and the list goes on.
The Emotiva XPA 200 would be a very nice choice.
I currently have a Yamaha RX-V800 HT amp with stated power of 100 wpc with very low distortion and very flat frequency response. I don't know if I should change. My deer says that LS50 are demanding speakers and should be paired with 1500+ amps. All reviews also say the same thing. Let me know how I decide if I should change and if yes will Emotiva xa 200 be good upgrade.
post #8 of 26 Old 01-20-15, 03:55 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
I currently have a Yamaha RX-V800 HT amp with stated power of 100 wpc with very low distortion and very flat frequency response. I don't know if I should change
In my opinion it would do just fin with those speakers. Im asuming your going to use a sub with these?
Quote:
My dealer says that LS50 are demanding speakers and should be paired with 1500+ amps. All reviews also say the same thing. Let me know how I decide if I should change and if yes will Emotiva xa 200 be good upgrade.
Hogwash! Its obvious he wants you to buy something he sells. The LS50s are 85db efficient at 8ohms (dips down to 5ohms) and they will sing with a 150watt per channel amp like the Emotiva. No need to get more power than that, they are not large floorstanders.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Last edited by tonyvdb; 01-20-15 at 04:20 PM.
post #9 of 26 Old 01-20-15, 06:39 PM
pxj
Shackster

I've even used the LS50 with my Denon 4311. I say get you a pair and enjoy the speakers.
post #10 of 26 Old 01-21-15, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

I am currently using my Yamaha with LS50. They sound fine. But of course I don't know if bass will be even better with a parasound A23 or Emotiva or Krell. I do not have a sub yet. But selecting that is another topic that requires some discussion.