Thinking of Getting into Vinyl - Worth It? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 41 Old 03-11-15, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Re: Thinking of Getting into Vinyl - Worth It?

Since I put the Oppo 103D in my living room system, I just KNOW my CDs sound better. (no, really!) (ok, maybe...?)

I, too, grew up on vinyl. I remember once when I was a little kid and the power went out, the sound of Burl Ives winding down in RPMs - I could hear his voice getting slower and deeper until the record stopped turning. I'll never forget that. Vinyl has always been something very real, even though back then I really didn't have the same respect for the format as I do today. Digital is something I can download from the Internet now - not so "real" per se, but the quality of the sound can be quite good, and it is oh so convenient...

There would be no problem for me dropping $400 or $500 on a table, provided I could get reasonably good quality sound, the likes of which I am now enjoying digitally on my Oppo. But I suppose that is subjective, part of the experience being the interaction with the table and the records - all so manual - you have to watch how hard you walk, can't bump into ANYTHING, "...if you scratch that record, so help me!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 Old 03-12-15, 04:18 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System
Well I would suggest starting really cheap.
Cheap turntable.
Buy a couple cheap albums of something fun and rambunctious that you like.
Mess with it for a while and see if it's something you want to do.
Don't worry about starting with good gear or high dollar vinyl until you play around with it some.
My music is all ripped, some in wav, some in ALAC, some in MP3.
Anytime I want to listen I switch over to the HDD or the iPod and select what I want to hear.

Listening to vinyl albums is a completely different experience and it has little to do with sound quality.
post #13 of 41 Old 03-13-15, 07:52 AM
Elite Shackster

engtaz

My System

The best think about vinyl is the sound. But, if your lazy, dont waste your money. You have to clean the records and get up to turn album over. The sound is awesome though.

Don't you like how music can make a bad day better.

post #14 of 41 Old 03-13-15, 08:40 AM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Quote:
chashint wrote: View Post
Well I would suggest starting really cheap.
Cheap turntable.
Buy a couple cheap albums of something fun and rambunctious that you like.
Mess with it for a while and see if it's something you want to do.
Don't worry about starting with good gear or high dollar vinyl until you play around with it some.
My music is all ripped, some in wav, some in ALAC, some in MP3.
Anytime I want to listen I switch over to the HDD or the iPod and select what I want to hear.

Listening to vinyl albums is a completely different experience and it has little to do with sound quality.
With all due respect, your last statement is incorrect. Even old but properly cleaned records can sound great on a decent 'table (excepting worn and damaged ones, of course)?

A canoe floats on water as well as a yacht, but only one is better suited for the high seas. Both a Chevette and a Corvette get you from point-A to point-B. Just as different boats/cars get you to where you're going, not all will allow you to appreciate the ride. To many people, most of the fun is getting there. To each his own.
post #15 of 41 Old 03-13-15, 09:49 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

For me it's not worth it as I will go Vinyl crazy for 2-4 weeks and then never return for 1-2 years.
I will say that I plan to get a good turntable once my main system is complete and setup but it's more for having the option if someone brings a LP over.
post #16 of 41 Old 03-13-15, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

So far I am hearing good arguments from both camps.

Seems like the sound from vinyl could have something digital just couldn't produce, assuming a purely analog system. Shortest path from source to ears, and all that. And then there's the pure, tactile nature of the medium, cover art, holding the record and manually loading/unloading, etc.

On the other hand, the equipment can be expensive, maintenance is much higher, and the entire process can be fussy. It was said to the effect a good recording on a CD can sound as good or better than vinyl on a reasonably priced system.

Sooooo, if one was to get into vinyl, starting from nothing, the suggestion would be to start small, with this I agree. But it also sounds like there is a learning curve to consider. Perhaps I will take this leap...
post #17 of 41 Old 03-14-15, 03:56 AM
Senior Shackster
Glenn

My System

The trouble with starting out cheap to figure out if you like it is that you will hear a very high noise floor, static, pops, wow & flutter, etc leading to disappointment. The vinyl-philes will argue that you have been let down due to the cheap gear. So you will then buy expensive gear and still hear a high noise floor, static, pops, wow & flutter and still be disappointed (compared to digital).
Even with brand new virgin $25 vinyl that has been properly cared for and washed, there probably will still be static and pops.

I got back into vinyl just over a year ago, hear is a copy of my first posting about the experience....

"This Christmas I bought myself a turntable, Pro-ject Debut Carbon. I have not had or listened with a turntable since 1988. I got the turntable because my parents have many LP's that we don't have digital versions of, so I wanted to hear some different music.
Also I was very curious about the raging debate between digital and vinyl fanatics about which is superior. I went into this with the notion that digital is superior and so far I still hold that opinion. Of course vinyl fanatics will argue that because I didn't spend at least $1000 on a TT (and I don't use a $500 LP cleaner), then it will not sound as good as it can.

This purchase also reinforces my experience that the most important aspect of sound quality is the engineering of the audio. MP3's, CD's, Hi Res downloads, and LP's can sound good or they can sound bad. Over the last week I have listened to many LP's that sound wonderful and many that sound dreadful (same experience with MP3's, CD's, and Hi Res dwnlds). But playing vinyl does have several negative aspects that are noticeable even with well engineered audio, these include very high noise floor, the pop's & clicks, and maintenance of both the vinyl and the TT.
But there is much more appreciation for the music when it is so tactile. The TT needs to be set up properly, the vinyl needs to be properly cared for. And there is a good feeling when you start to play an LP, it doesn't sound right with extra popping & clicking, and doesn't sound clear, then you take the vinyl off and physically wash it, dry it, wipe it with a brush, clear the cartridge needle of debris, put the vinyl back on the platter, drop the needle, and now there is noticeable improvemnet in the sound. There is a sense of accomplishment in that process.

As far as the TT goes... I have nothing to compare my Debut Carbon with, but I love the look and feel of it. There are many great reviews that have already been written for this piece of gear." ....
Read more: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...t-debut-carbon
post #18 of 41 Old 03-14-15, 09:37 AM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System

^^^^^^ thank you for this post.

Like i said....

If you enjoy the LP experience by all means enjoy it, but there is a lot more to it than just listening to music.
post #19 of 41 Old 03-14-15, 12:16 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System
There is plenty of music that never made the transfer to digital, and digging through the bins at a record store and finding an old favorite for $2-4 is a lot of fun. I would never buy a new digital recording that has been transferred to vinyl "just because", though.

Vinyl can sound very good, but it takes decent gear and dedication. I got started on the cheap, and went as bare bones as is possible while still getting satisfactory results, for me.

First, I found a NOS h/k turntable at a pawn shop. You can find nice used TT's, too, locally or online. These are the items that got me spinning and enjoying the sounds.

- Ortofon Super OM 10 cartridge (best match for my tonearm, call Needle Doctor or another shop like that for advice, matching the tonearm to the cartridge is KEY!).
- Cartridge protractor for alignment.
- Stylus force gauge (turntables.com has great prices).
- Spin Clean beer powered record cleaner.
- Carbon fiber brush, for a quick clean and to remove static.

That should get you going and give the results you are looking for. You can also skip the 'table/cartridge hassle and buy a 'table that is ready to go, the ProJect Carbon is a great deal.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #20 of 41 Old 03-15-15, 05:24 AM
Shackster

My System

I just bought an album - the first one I've owned in 30 years. (All the ones I used to own are long gone, replaced by a rather substantial CD collection...) Actually, I pre-ordered the album: Mark Knopfler's 'Tracker'.

I'm going to play that album in my bedroom on a new turntable (only $150, but has an aluminum platter, and a MM cartridge) that should be here on Monday, running into the phono preamp of a new (old) 35W RMS Marantz PM5004, feeding a pair of new Axiom M3 v4 bookshelf speakers. The turntable is fully automatic, so when I put on side one and snuggle up with my sweetie, I don't have to worry about that dreaded "tick, chrrrrrr, tick, chrrrrrr, tick" sound that used to rouse us from our haze-induced 'Dark Side of the Moon' torpor (back in the day.)

Total equipment cost: $1,000. Album cost: $29.95

Why?

I honestly don't know...Just seems like fun I guess...

Last edited by eracer; 03-15-15 at 05:42 AM.