Should I Continue My Tidal Streaming Service? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
 2Likes

post #11 of 36 Old 02-24-16, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Re: Should I Continue My Tidal Streaming Service?

OK brothers, other than the ownership...

Other pros and cons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 Old 02-24-16, 09:28 AM
HTS Reviewer

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
OK brothers, other than the ownership...

Other pros and cons?
Sorry for the slight derail Wayne. I played with it for a bit during the trial but didn't care for (or care to get used to) the interface and any difference in sound quality wasn't enough for me to justify paying for another membership. I also didn't want to re-collect all of my music within another app. I have found that for the vast majority of my listening, the quality of Spotify or Apple music over a good internet connection is more than acceptable. If i want higher resolution I'll put in an actual CD or go to HDtracks for ALAC/FLAC. If you don't currently subscribe to any other streaming service and don't mind the $20, I don't think Tidal itself is a bad option - regardless what you think about the team that created it.

On a related note - I noticed after a recent firmware update that my OPPO BDP-103 now has a native Tidal app on the home screen. I could see that being a deciding factor for OPPO owners deciding between Tidal and Spotify, Apple Music, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #13 of 36 Old 02-24-16, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

A native Tidal streaming app would be nice.

Like you, Peter, I have so much stuff already ripped from CDs over the years. If a streaming service is going to work for me, it will have to complement what I already have, if not replacing it all together. I have not played with the interface much yet, it will have to be pretty straightforward to keep me happy. will have to work pretty seamlessly with what I already have..

On the other hand, if it saves me from having to buy new CDs, keeps up with the new releases that I like, it might be a good deal.

post #14 of 36 Old 02-26-16, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

So far I have not even used it much.
post #15 of 36 Old 02-27-16, 04:55 PM
Senior Shackster

One thing I liked about Tidal is being able to free up hard drive space by not having to store ripped music anymore. I had cases of cassette tapes that I loved but wasn't going to replace with CD's. I just looked up them up on Tidal and added the ones I wanted to keep to my collection. It would have cost me $$$ to repurchase them and would also have been a long slow process to convert them to digital files.
post #16 of 36 Old 02-28-16, 11:47 AM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System
For myself $20/month is better spent buying CD's.
The free streaming services are good enough for background music and if I need to sample something specific to see if I want to buy it, YouTube has served me well so far.
post #17 of 36 Old 02-28-16, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

For sampling to see if I like a group or album, youtube is unbeatable.

Had a really good experience with Tidal today. Putting up a new shed in the backyard, decided to put on headphones and listen to some music while working, pulled up Tidal on my phone and got through a couple of albums streaming from tidal. I realized how convenient it is not to have to worry about where the files are. With a smartphone, a tablet, a. X3 portable media player, a music server, a desktop machine, and the laptop, it is hard to keep track of what files and albums are where. Streaming from Tidal, that is no concern at all. I did not know out in the yard if I was streaming Wi-Fi or using data over my phone service, but I have never even used half of a month allotment of phone data, even when traveling and using it for Wi-Fi tethering, so no concern there. It was super convenient and of course top notch for clarity. Very nice.
post #18 of 36 Old 02-28-16, 07:17 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

I assume since you listen through you smart phone, the service is portable? Can you access it with someone else's Wi-Fi and stream to their system, say if visiting someone & you want them to hear a song?
post #19 of 36 Old 02-29-16, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post
I assume since you listen through you smart phone, the service is portable? Can you access it with someone else's Wi-Fi and stream to their system, say if visiting someone & you want them to hear a song?
I assume that you can stream from anywhere that you can login with your account and have the Tidal app downloaded and running on a proper device. I do have the Tidalapp running on several devices already.
post #20 of 36 Old 02-29-16, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

I have run into no problems with user interface. It will accept voice input for searches, and gives search suggestions as you type.

Availability of the music I like has been very good. I corrected my list in post number 2, I had said B-52s were not available but I had done that search wrong, their entire catalog is available. Radiohead's two most recent albums are not available. None of the King Crimson catalog is available, a disappointment but not surprising, with Robert Fripp being extremely protective of their music.

You have to go into settings and turn on HiFi streaming.