The comeback of Cassette tapes and Vinyl? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

3Likes

post #1 of 20 Old 02-17-17, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
The comeback of Cassette tapes and Vinyl?

So seeing as there now seems to be a small but none the less noticeable comeback of the Cassette tape and vinyl seems to be gaining ground again do any of you plan on buying a Tape deck and or digging out the one you already have and using it?

http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/...usic-1.3290300

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-17-17, 01:14 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: The comeback of Cassette tapes and Vinyl?

Hahahaha!!!! Not a chance. I survived all that once already! Lol. Far too many detractors for me. It was fun in the 80s when I was growing up, but I find zero technical advantage in using tape. And being able AirPlay, or stream from my pc is priceless. IMO, cassette media and equipment belongs in museums. I have a decent technics TD gathering dust. Maybe I could sell it to one of these new guys!
post #3 of 20 Old 02-17-17, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Ya, I see the draw of vinyl but the cassette is a little odd to me as the sound quality even on a new tape is not nearly as good as CD. I have two higher end tape decks at home and other than the odd tape I have kicking around they hardly ever get used.

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #4 of 20 Old 02-17-17, 02:08 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

I really don't get the attraction to these old mediums fraught with clips, pops and background hiss. After enduring that stuff for a decade, the first time I heard a CD and music faded into a total inky-black silence - wow, it was absolutely stunning, a thing to behold. I'll never go back.

The only reason I keep a turntable and cassette deck around is to transfer tapes and vinyl to my computer, where I can clean up the clicks, pops and background hiss as much as possible before saving it to a file or burning it to a CD.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #5 of 20 Old 02-18-17, 03:25 PM
Senior Shackster

Kevin

My System

Vinyl I get, but cassette tapes are a miserable medium, and I had (among others) a Nakamichi 700ZXL (tossed it about 10 years ago). I do still have a TEAC A-4010, but I doubt it will ever be removed from its box again (don't really know why I'm hanging on to it). I even bought a PCM add-on for a Sony SL-2710 (I think that was the model) Beta Hi-Fi. I have no desire to ever see another tape of any flavor - just a horrible storage medium for so many reasons.
post #6 of 20 Old 02-20-17, 07:14 AM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

I enjoyed sitting in front of my cassette deck for hours on end making mix tapes for the car and portable player. The deck wasn't high end, but leached out (what I considered to be) fantastic sound from high grade tapes. There was a lot of hiss, though. Dolby-B seemed to dull the whole presentation, while Dolby-C seemed better but with different results on different decks. Home tapes were made without Dolby NR. I preferred to remove tape hiss using a single-ended noise gate (KLH Burwen Research DNF-1201A).

I still have the cassette deck, the noise filter, and a graphic EQ unit with LEDs on each slider. All work, but I only keep them around for nostalgic reasons.

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am

post #7 of 20 Old 03-17-17, 11:07 AM
Shackster

Outlaw

My System

I have enough music on cassette that's not available on any other medium that I keep a cassette deck (Teac V-7010) connected to my system. All my tapes were recorded by me using Dolby B or C and consequently sound pretty good. I have no pre-recorded tapes.
post #8 of 20 Old 03-17-17, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Ironic, I just was given this Denon DN-T620 rackmount CD/Tape unit. I have enough rackspace in my theater room rack that this will work nicely. I needed a decent CD player anyhow and now I can have it mounted in the rack properly.

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #9 of 20 Old 03-17-17, 11:39 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Anybody need a Sony ADAT player/recorder? I hear those are making a comeback...?

But seriously... pay for shipping and you can have it. Fair warning, it is NOT light. Or small.
post #10 of 20 Old 03-18-17, 06:23 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Ironic, I just was given this Denon DN-T620 rackmount CD/Tape unit. I have enough rackspace in my theater room rack that this will work nicely. I needed a decent CD player anyhow and now I can have it mounted in the rack properly.
Nice unit, Tony! Looks like they’re cleaning house at your church again, huh?

Regards,
Wayne

|