The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

View Poll Results: Which pair of speakers do you think will be chosen? (Please read details before voting.)
Arx A5 19 5.37%
Focal Chorus 716V 75 21.19%
HTD Level THREE 12 3.39%
Klipsch RF-62 II 71 20.06%
Magnepan MG12/QR 42 11.86%
MartinLogan Motion 12 51 14.41%
Tekton Model Lore 23 6.50%
Vandersteen 2Ce 61 17.23%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

post #91 of 376 Old 08-18-13, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
Chudik wrote: View Post
So, it won't be a blind test... Well... When I choose speakers for me I would not recognize a difference for the last two pairs without switching and knowing which one is playing. Both played well for my ears and the difference was so tiny...

Thanks. I think it would be useful to show graphs for the worse that you listened and decided to get rid off immediately and for the last finalists. It's actually quite interesting. When I choose mine, I made some notes during listening and after that I've found explanations for my notes on the graphs.

Definitely, choosing the speakers must be done in Pure Direct. However, such good equalization system as XT32 make very good job. May be not for this thread, but would be very interesting to compare sound of the chosen speakers with and without Audyssey with tube amps as well.
Yeah... no blind testing will be done for now. If it comes down to two or more pairs being that close, then I will just keep listening until I can figure it out. If they are than close, it may not matter much.

We should have graphs and comments for all of the speakers evaluated.

As long as running the 4520 as a preamp with the tube amps does not end up effecting the sound of the tube amps in a negative way, using Audyssey shoudn't be a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 376 Old 08-18-13, 06:14 PM
brad

I think the Vandersteens because they are extremely linear and the companies quality control is second to none.
post #93 of 376 Old 08-18-13, 07:43 PM
Senior Shackster
Jason

Sorry. Thanks for the reply, although you had already explained yourself. Time is short these days.

post #94 of 376 Old 08-18-13, 09:15 PM
Banned!

Why the wait until November to tell us the results ? That.seems to take the excitement right out of the shootout .
post #95 of 376 Old 08-18-13, 09:41 PM
Senior Shackster

Mike R

Besides following the placement guideline what will you do to the existing room acoustic treatments?
Will your graphs also include ETC charts?

2 years ago I was at a HT meet and spent time in this sweet 2-channel room, size is 13.5' x 20' .
monoblock solid state amps, bass traps, diffusers/treatments at precise points, what's not to like here??

For others that may not know, that's Jim Salk, he's been making speakers for 10 years.
Very nice person, the red ones are his.....

The gear rack.....

Mike R,P.E.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #96 of 376 Old 08-18-13, 09:48 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Yeah Song Towers most talked about from Salk have a great reputation as with all of his .
post #97 of 376 Old 08-18-13, 10:00 PM
Elite Shackster

Jon

My System

I voted for the Vandersteens. I've heard a handful (not all) of the speakers and those are my choice among the picks thus far! I look forward to hearing the overall consensus, though! I love comparisons/evaluations like these!!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #98 of 376 Old 08-18-13, 10:07 PM
Shackster
Paul Quilter

Send a message via Skype™ to Quiltzig

I'm with the Maggies for the most seamless and natural sound especially on music. Once you get a taste for boxless speakers then you will forever hear the box with conventional speakers. 1.7's give the best glimpse of high end for reasonable outlay however.
post #99 of 376 Old 08-18-13, 11:06 PM
Shackster

mracoustat

Quote:
Quiltzig wrote: View Post
I'm with the Maggies for the most seamless and natural sound especially on music. Once you get a taste for boxless speakers then you will forever hear the box with conventional speakers. 1.7's give the best glimpse of high end for reasonable outlay however.
100% Correct, think outside the box.

Chord CPM-2600 amplifier - - - Chord One cd player - - - Acoustat 1+1s speakers - - - ( 1984 )
Life without Acoustat is possible BUT i would never dare
post #100 of 376 Old 08-18-13, 11:12 PM
Shackster

Wow ! Awesome, wish I could be on the panel, sounds like a blast..no pun intended.