The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

View Poll Results: Which pair of speakers do you think will be chosen? (Please read details before voting.)
Arx A5 19 5.37%
Focal Chorus 716V 75 21.19%
HTD Level THREE 12 3.39%
Klipsch RF-62 II 71 20.06%
Magnepan MG12/QR 42 11.86%
MartinLogan Motion 12 51 14.41%
Tekton Model Lore 23 6.50%
Vandersteen 2Ce 61 17.23%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

post #41 of 376 Old 08-17-13, 10:18 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

I did not vote because I would not have a clue. I wish I did but my situation has never allowed me to get involved with towers.

My surround is in the family room. That room is also used for 20-25 friends twice a week. When we purchased our home, I made an agreement with my wife that I could do or spend anything for my surrounds as long as it was hidden. That to me was a great compromise.

I have 5 SpeakerCraft AIM8 Fives and 3 SpeakerCraft Time Fives along with 2 HSU 12" mid base and 1 SVS PB13-Ultra.

All hidden. Even the big SVS sub is not really noticed. It is under the table where the lamp is sitting

Time Fives move out of the ceiling to aim at the perfect spot. Great used as Wides for in ceiling speakers

Makes everyone happy. Even though I would have loved towers, it is not in the future for me.

I will be reading this thread with excitement and a little envy.

Now, don't say I am PWed. One gets to a point in life where he finally understands that making a wife happy really does make the home happy.

m
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 376 Old 08-17-13, 10:40 PM
Elite Shackster

Glen

I vote for the Arx A5 as I think the planar tweeter will sound detailed while the overall speaker packs a lot of value at the price point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #43 of 376 Old 08-17-13, 10:48 PM
Shackster

Quote:
MrAcoustat wrote: View Post
Hi Sonnie sorry for asking again but i want to know it is VERY important to me, will your testing be for a 2 channel setup or home theater. thank's
2 channel

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
The goal is to find a pair of speakers for my personal two-channel system, which will be setup within my dedicated home theater room.

post #44 of 376 Old 08-17-13, 11:01 PM
Shackster

I voted for Focal Chorus 716V because I had a chance to listen to them at my cousin house.They are way better than the Polk audio rti a5 I am having.
post #45 of 376 Old 08-17-13, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
macmovieman wrote: View Post
I would select a different speaker depending on the music I listen to...
That is not a bad idea... and I have suggested somewhere that I may end up keeping two pair.

Quote:
rongon wrote: View Post
I may not have the requisite 25 posts (I think I do) but I voted anyway.
You don't have to have 25 posts to vote, but you will have to have 25 posts before I announce the speakers I have chosen in order to qualify for the $500 cash giveaway. Of course you also have to vote correctly, and even I don't know the answer to that one yet.

Quote:
rongon wrote: View Post
I'd be curious what you would think of Snell Type C.
I owned Snell B-Minors at one time... back in 1991. I actually had a full Snell 5 speakers surround system. You certainly don't see many Snell speakers around these days... especially in mint condition.

Quote:
jplesset wrote: View Post
I'm not actually going to vote, as I've not heard any of the speakers under test. Heard Maggies maybe 25 years ago, and sold many.... I've not heard anything I wanted to replace my KEF 101/4x 10" sub system with.
I tried very hard to find a pair of KEF's that would work. I almost had a pair of Q900's, but could not get it worked out. There were some Q700's around, but not in black.

Quote:
MrAcoustat wrote: View Post
Hi Sonnie sorry for asking again but i want to know it is VERY important to me, will your testing be for a 2 channel setup or home theater. thank's
Two-channel ... strictly 2-channel.

It has truly be enjoyable reading the responses, not that I expected anything less. What seems weird is that I have no idea how I would vote if I could vote... that is how unsure I am. I truly believe that every speaker has an opportunity to wow me or I don't think I would have included it... and one reason why I decided to drop a few of them from the line.
post #46 of 376 Old 08-17-13, 11:17 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
I own and love my Klipsch rf-82 ii's and really think they excel for home theater. I do think that I would have chosen a different speaker for 2 channel listening though. So if the vote had been for home theater I would cast it for the Klipsch but I'm afraid for 2 channel the rf-62 ii's may not come out on top.
post #47 of 376 Old 08-17-13, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

If anyone wants to change their vote, please let me know. We can accommodate that as long as you let me know within 24 hours of voting. You can only change it once.
post #48 of 376 Old 08-17-13, 11:28 PM
Shackster

mracoustat

Thank's for the answer.

Chord CPM-2600 amplifier - - - Chord One cd player - - - Acoustat 1+1s speakers - - - ( 1984 )
Life without Acoustat is possible BUT i would never dare
post #49 of 376 Old 08-18-13, 12:07 AM

My vote goes to Focal. I voted for these largely due to the fact that i have had the opportunity to hear them and they are incredible.
Also my first post and i thought this would be a fun thread to start in
post #50 of 376 Old 08-18-13, 12:57 AM
Shackster
Chudik

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
1. No, we will not have a speaker switch.
So, it won't be a blind test... Well... When I choose speakers for me I would not recognize a difference for the last two pairs without switching and knowing which one is playing. Both played well for my ears and the difference was so tiny...

Quote:
2. Yes, we will at minimum publish primary listening position frequency response graphs. We may do some other measurements as well... and if we do, we will likely publish those graphs.
Thanks. I think it would be useful to show graphs for the worse that you listened and decided to get rid off immediately and for the last finalists. It's actually quite interesting. When I choose mine, I made some notes during listening and after that I've found explanations for my notes on the graphs.

Quote:
3. Most likely we will simply use Pure Direct mode when using the Denon 4520. Once we narrow it down to a couple of speakers, if we have time we may run Audyssey... if it makes sense and we think it is needed.
Definitely, choosing the speakers must be done in Pure Direct. However, such good equalization system as XT32 make very good job. May be not for this thread, but would be very interesting to compare sound of the chosen speakers with and without Audyssey with tube amps as well.