The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

View Poll Results: Which pair of speakers do you think will be chosen? (Please read details before voting.)
Arx A5 19 5.37%
Focal Chorus 716V 75 21.19%
HTD Level THREE 12 3.39%
Klipsch RF-62 II 71 20.06%
Magnepan MG12/QR 42 11.86%
MartinLogan Motion 12 51 14.41%
Tekton Model Lore 23 6.50%
Vandersteen 2Ce 61 17.23%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

post #71 of 376 Old 08-18-13, 10:41 AM
Shackster

Re: The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
needspeed52 wrote: View Post
ARX5, truly an amazing speaker, used in both HT and stereo (two channel) listening, I'm from the camp that a good speaker should sound good in either application, I don't believe tha ARX5 was designed to be used in either application, it is just that good.
Agreed, that's why I ended up selling my Magnepans. Not that they didn't sound good for HT, but they lacked dynamics that's for sure.

I assumed he was just comparing music - if it's HT too, I would have voted differently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 376 Old 08-18-13, 11:13 AM
Shackster

Quote:
TheGovernment wrote: View Post
I voted for the Klipsch. After setting up close to 100 HT's, The big maggies, although wonderful with music just are not great at higher volume dynamics that are needed for an HT. I've setup systems when the owners dropped the maggies upon hearing a proper HE speaker in a HT setting.
Klipsch seem to get a bad rap for being to harsh and seem to get looked over because of it but I think they will be the best of the bunch for outright dynamic punch for the movies, though I haven't heard every set of the speakers, I have heard so many types, you can't keep score. Nothing beats a good HE speaker in a HT setting.
I run a full JTR setup and just knowing how much better eve my T12's at the time were better than my Paradimg sig 8's were was amazing, I personally will never own a non HE speaker in my HT again.

If for some reason I won a set, I'd like Sonnie to donate the speakers to a good local charity, kids center or some place that someone could maybe get interested in our awesome hobby.
Very interesting, and very OT. This is a music playback only contest, not HT.
post #73 of 376 Old 08-18-13, 11:23 AM

Well,
I would like to ask one question. I don't think i saw it anywhere here. What type or types of music do you listen to ? This would possibly affect your choice of speakers .

post #74 of 376 Old 08-18-13, 11:33 AM
Shackster

Quote:
DjPerfectTrip wrote: View Post
Nice, Klipsch took the lead =^)
Correctly voting for/predicting the winner in the upcoming neutral speaker comparison qualifies the voter as a potential winner of a $500 raffle. Specifically, the more a voter views this as a popularity poll the less likely are they to pick the winner, and hence disqualify his/her self from a chance to win $500.

This means: the less knowledge one has about all the contestants the greater is the likelihood one will miss the winner and disqualify one self from the $500 raffle.

It's absolutely no coincidence that the two companies with the largest ad budget are 1-2 in polling. Voters are apparently voting as if this is a popularity contest.

And that's fine by me!
post #75 of 376 Old 08-18-13, 11:36 AM
Shackster

Quote:
grey9hound wrote: View Post
Well,
I would like to ask one question. I don't think i saw it anywhere here. What type or types of music do you listen to ? This would possibly affect your choice of speakers .
Oooooohhhhhh, very sharp question, and one I did not consider....anxiously awaiting reply!
post #76 of 376 Old 08-18-13, 12:05 PM
Andy

Ha, after lurking for years, here is my first post I think...

I voted for the tektons. I have even pining or a set for a long time and based on the research I have on, I anticipate them having a good howitzer in this price range. Looking forward to "hearing" what the panel thinks...

Have fun!
post #77 of 376 Old 08-18-13, 12:06 PM
Senior Shackster

bundini

My System

Quote:
ro7939 wrote: View Post
Correctly voting for/predicting the winner in the upcoming neutral speaker comparison qualifies the voter as a potential winner of a $500 raffle. Specifically, the more a voter views this as a popularity poll the less likely are they to pick the winner, and hence disqualify his/her self from a chance to win $500.

This means: the less knowledge one has about all the contestants the greater is the likelihood one will miss the winner and disqualify one self from the $500 raffle.

It's absolutely no coincidence that the two companies with the largest ad budget are 1-2 in polling. Voters are apparently voting as if this is a popularity contest.

And that's fine by me!
+1111111 Obviously the the two top votes are the most sold speaker, how many models in their line do they have, one can only guess. Coincidence, I don't think so. Sorry I don't want to get off topic but some of the other brands have a limited line and not much exposure except user and rare pro reviews.
post #78 of 376 Old 08-18-13, 12:07 PM
JCharger

While I have no Experiance with any of the speakers in this evaluation from what I have read the inverted Beryllium dome of the Focal is to die for. I realize these are not the same tweeters but do utilize the inverted design, this is the only reason that I voted for them. I did a little research on the others also but these Focals stood out in my mind for some reason. Maybe it's just a branding thing. Idk.
post #79 of 376 Old 08-18-13, 12:27 PM
Shackster

Vandersteen Audio is an often overlooked Tour de force that IMO excels with their "out of the box" design elements. Therefor my vote goes to the 2Ce.
post #80 of 376 Old 08-18-13, 12:32 PM
Shackster
Ivan

My System

Quote:
ro7939 wrote: View Post

And that's fine by me!
It's all just a guess anyways. I chose Klipsch because that's what I have. Unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to listen to any others, but I love the speakers. It's all going to come down to preference anyways, so anybody's guess is as good as anybody else's.