HTS Two-Channel Speaker Setup Guide for a Deep Soundstage - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

3Likes

post #11 of 124 Old 12-19-13, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Re: HTS Two-Channel Speaker Setup Guide for a Deep Soundstage

Quote:
eddieg69 wrote: View Post
Not really sure how forums work, but here goes. Did you ever post the diagrams? If so how can I find them? Thought they would be part of this thread. Thanks for the guide will be checking out the Audyssey guide next.
Have not done it yet, thanks for the reminder. There are a few areas of the guide I would like to update in the coming weeks, will add diagrams then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 124 Old 01-08-14, 01:49 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
I noticed the results being observed in the CCC shootouts. This peaked my curiosity so I gave it a try.

The depth you guys described was there for sure. It was as if I could peer in to the music beyond the speakers, while still pinpointing where each sound was coming from. This formula worked in my listening room.

I can't leave the speakers there, of course. Fortunately my sweet spot near the front wall (where B/A = 1.22) yields even better results with regard to depth acuity. It so happens to yield flatter frequency response as well. I may be able to credit this to the fact that I have 4" panels on the front wall behind each speaker. Also, the side wall 1st reflection points are non existing due to openings.

I've got pics but the app keeps crashing.

Control4 Automation Programmer
post #13 of 124 Old 01-08-14, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

I am glad you gave it a shot and found a combination that works for you. That deep soundstage is something else, isn't it?

Happy listening!

post #14 of 124 Old 01-08-14, 07:47 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Very Very good guidelines, your attention to detail is something I will forever be amazed at.
I think if we all follow these guidelines we will be in a much better place, even if small adaptations are needed, these numbers will bring us all so close to correct.

This kind of takes the worry out of being an audio nut to be sure. Well Done Wayne.

Now can you also cure the neurosis ??

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #15 of 124 Old 01-09-14, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

We are all more than a little bit crazy or we wouldn't be here.
post #16 of 124 Old 01-09-14, 11:22 PM

Ron

My System

Excellent write up! I am going to try this when I start building our garage Home Theater. I will have my 3 Klipsch La Scalas behind the screen but the cavity where the speaker will be will be around 4' deep. I know it will not be optimum but I hope it will allow me to get a deeper sound stage. I did something similar to this years ago when I had my Martin Logan Sequels, and I had an awesome sound stage. Thank you for bringing this up as it is definitely lacking in my current setup.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, (5) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, Oppo UDP-203, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #17 of 124 Old 01-12-14, 06:57 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

As you can see, the speakers were waaaaay out in to the room. The listening experience was "nearfield-like."
post #18 of 124 Old 01-12-14, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Love it. Getting that soundstage all around you is quite an experience!
post #19 of 124 Old 01-12-14, 09:00 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

This gave me a target sound to shoot for when determining final placement. Great thread by the way.
post #20 of 124 Old 01-12-14, 11:45 PM
Senior Shackster

Outlaw

My System

I wish you guys had published this in 1976 when I bought my first Magneplanars. Yeah, I know there was no internet then.

I'll be recommending this thread to others. You guys manage to do more for your posters than just about any other site. I just want you to know that I for one appreciate it.

ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300, Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon cartridges: Marantz CD63SE, Yamaha DVD-S1800,, MSB Link D2A, Emotiva XDA-2, Accuphase T101 tuner, TEAC V7010, Emotiva UMC-200: Front speakers: Acoustat Spectra 22 ESL's, DBX223sx, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2 12" Transmission Line Subs, Behringer DSP1124P, 2 Crown XLS-402 Rear speakers: Acoustat Model 1 ESL, Paradigm X-30, 2 Adcom GFA-545, Acoustat SPW-1 Woofer.