HTS Two-Channel Speaker Setup Guide for a Deep Soundstage - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

3Likes

post #31 of 124 Old 09-12-14, 12:37 PM
Shackster

Kemp

Re: HTS Two-Channel Speaker Setup Guide for a Deep Soundstage

Placing my planars as far from the wall as 6', and removing anything between them including a tall equipment rack and a TV, made a bigger improvement in soundstage than other acoustic treatments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 124 Old 09-12-14, 01:00 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
fokakis1 wrote: View Post
Did your soundstage change/improve? I have subs in all 4 corners. This allows me to place my mains for optimum soundstage while leaving the sub system to handle <80hz.
Yes the soundstage did improve. I just missed out on the awesome bass my speakers made. I have since moved my speakers 1 foot back and added a real sub. (Paradigm Servo 15)

Quote:
KLH007 wrote: View Post
Placing my planars as far from the wall as 6', and removing anything between them including a tall equipment rack and a TV, made a bigger improvement in soundstage than other acoustic treatments.
The TV is now gone and I do not know were I could place my equipment rack. Right now my equipment rack is dead center 16" off the front wall.

post #33 of 124 Old 09-12-14, 02:02 PM
Shackster

Kemp

Blacklightning, Your rack isn't as tall as some are, probably a minor issue, try throwing an absorptive blanket over the rack to see if soundstage changes? I've also found vibration isolation of electronics & speakers can help develop a better stage.

post #34 of 124 Old 09-12-14, 10:42 PM
Senior Shackster

No hope for inwall or on-wall speakers?
post #35 of 124 Old 09-16-14, 09:18 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Blacklightning wrote: View Post
I followed your guide and I ended up losing a lot of low frequecies at the listening position. I ended up adding two large bookshelve speakers and an amp to my LFE channel and ran a 80hz cross over.

Are you guys really getting sub 60hz bass in your room with your speakers 6 feet off the front wall?
Quote:
corradizo wrote: View Post
Well I ran some uncalibrated SPL dB readings with my phone and test tones and I found larger peeks and nulls with the speakers placed closer to the wall. Long story short my speakers are 6 1/2 feet off the back wall and the sound is more even but less "FUN". The funny thing is my speakers sound a lot more like my Beyerdinamic DT880 headphones when it comes to bass.

I'm going to live with this for a awhile before I integrate my sub. So for now full range speakers only... I'm going to miss 25, 32 and 40Hz.

Quote:
I would all so like to know what you guys think of Inwall on-wall speakers when it comes to sound stage.
post #36 of 124 Old 09-16-14, 10:52 AM
Senior Shackster

I bought some Behringer b212xl foolishly thinking my wife would come to love them. While I had them I thought they sounded great. I sold them this weekend, but before I did I followed this guide. It worked, although mostly with classical music. I didn't have a ton of time but what I did get dialed in was really impressive.

It was like I was sitting in the audience up front and the orchestra was right in front of me, the violin was what seemed to be beyond the front wall and locked on all the notes coming from one spot to the side. Way cool!

Now I need to see if I can accomplish this with in wall or on walls... I will be building the 2pi speakers from pi speakers to either be in our on the walls.
post #37 of 124 Old 09-16-14, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Quote:
I followed your guide and I ended up losing a lot of low frequecies at the listening position. I ended up adding two large bookshelve speakers and an amp to my LFE channel and ran a 80hz cross over.

Are you guys really getting sub 60hz bass in your room with your speakers 6 feet off the front wall?
With speakers well away from the front wall like we are talking about, any bass reinforcement from wall proximity is lost and you are pretty much stuck with the natural LF rolloff of the speakers as designed. One might consider this a tradeoff of the approach. Adding a sub or subs is the usual fix.

Quote:
KLH007 wrote: View Post
Agreed, that is exactly the way to get there. We are learning that the rear waves must be handled with as much care as the front waves, extra true with dipoles, but true for all speaker types (except horns). I hope to be updating this Setup Guide soon with that information..

Quote:
Yes the soundstage did improve. I just missed out on the awesome bass my speakers made. I have since moved my speakers 1 foot back and added a real sub. (Paradigm Servo 15)

The TV is now gone and I do not know were I could place my equipment rack. Right now my equipment rack is dead center 16" off the front wall.
Of course the strong bass is missed, but the quality and degree of soundstage improvement can be huge. In your picture, the subwoofer on the right is where the reflection from the rear of the right speaker should be bouncing toward the listener. The soon-to-be-updated Setup Guide will talk about this in detail. Low, centered items away from the wall (a small rack or stack of gear) can usually be tolerated.
post #38 of 124 Old 09-16-14, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Quote:
I have only heard a few examples of in/on-wall speakers in use, and have heard at best only mediocre soundstage development - decent width but imaging not great and no soundstage depth at all. If soundstage and imaging are a priority, I would recommend staying away from in/on-wall speakers.

Of course there are rooms and situations where they are necessary or are strongly preferred for aesthetic reasons. If that is the case, you might consider a design where the enclosure floats so it can be aimed for the purpose of finding the best imaging and clearest soundstage.

But it is the delayed reflections coming from the front of the room that give the soundstage its depth, and they do not exist with a normal in/on-wall design.

Another possibility is to create the equivalent of those delayed signals electronically. Another future project.....
post #39 of 124 Old 09-16-14, 01:48 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Another possibility is to create the equivalent of those delayed signals electronically. Another future project.....
That would be awesome!
post #40 of 124 Old 09-16-14, 02:23 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post

Or two speaker sized metal sheets two feet from the wall on each side of the speaker sending sound back to the wall. The other side of the sheet could be absorbent material.