HTS Two-Channel Speaker Setup Guide for a Deep Soundstage - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

3Likes

post #71 of 124 Old 12-12-15, 11:10 AM
Shackster

Re: HTS Two-Channel Speaker Setup Guide for a Deep Soundstage

Quote:
Savjac wrote: View Post
I have horn speakers in my system and I can say that in some ways they do differ from the non horn speakers. They can be placed quite widely and still work fine but using your common sense methods of this forum, they will truly dial in quite well and give an excellent sound stage bearing in mind that one has to have the proper equipment in the first place that would allow one to decode same.

I have found that in my room, 16' wide by 23' long, I place my speakers about 9' apart and I sit 9' back. They are several feet from the wall behind them and about 2' in from the walls.
If I leave them speakers perpendicular to the front wall they have a very nice sound, kind of mellow for a horn speaker but the soundstage can be somewhat diffuse. If I toe them in to the point wherein the tweeters, not just the horn, face my ears then the high end goes away and the sound stage dies. So at this point I found a happy set up with the speakers toed in about 12 from straight and slightly elevated at the front end of the speaker cabinet and I get a wonderful stable soundstage with excellent center fill. The only real downside I notice is that on occasion singers and instruments located directly in the middle of the sound field will bloat a bit, making them sound the giant players, and this seems to be dependent on the frequency of the voice and how close they may be to the mic.

The good thing about the horns are they are so very efficient and have dynamic swings that are tremendous. The bigger horn speakers are not always very good at playing very delicate as do the Martin Logans, but once again, a minor complaint.
So you have your setup @ 9' apart and 9' back... interesting.

Gedlee suggested when using horn speakers to sit further back - having the speakers toe in and have the on axis cross in front of you so it's not aligned to your ears @ all.

Kelvin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 124 Old 12-12-15, 11:37 AM

Ron

My System

Quote:
subwoofery wrote: View Post
So you have your setup @ 9' apart and 9' back... interesting.

Gedlee suggested when using horn speakers to sit further back - having the speakers toe in and have the on axis cross in front of you so it's not aligned to your ears @ all.

Kelvin
That would explain why my horns sound better in the 2nd row than the front. I have been debating about not toeing them since the horns are 3' wide, and i have 3 of them behind a 15' wide AT screen. What I am thinking is that the natural angle of the Butt cheek JBLs would still intersect before the MLP. What I don't know is whether this would cause my soundstage to get wider at the expense of the depth.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, (5) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, Oppo UDP-203, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #73 of 124 Old 12-12-15, 11:42 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Thank you for bringing this up as I do respect Gedlee and his findings and I guess now that you mention it, I should try toeing them in like you said. I do not understand why that would work but what the he is a smarter man than I in this subject. As far as sitting back further from the speakers, that I have done and it does work, good sound still abounds there. However, my choices are more room dependent that anything else. I love a good sounstage second only to authentic sonics and if I sit back too far the bass becomes less solid as there is a dip in the bass. If I move the speakers further into the room so I can sit back further then I get a bump upward in the bass region and it sounds rather icky.

I guess I have settled for something in the middle. I would really love to hear his speakers some day as his horns are so well made compared to mine and would most probably work much better.

Oh and I remeasured and the speakers are 10' apart and my chair is about 10' out.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"

post #74 of 124 Old 12-12-15, 11:48 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
That would explain why my horns sound better in the 2nd row than the front. I have been debating about not toeing them since the horns are 3' wide, and i have 3 of them behind a 15' wide AT screen. What I am thinking is that the natural angle of the Butt cheek JBLs would still intersect before the MLP. What I don't know is whether this would cause my soundstage to get wider at the expense of the depth.
I have found with mine, which are truly small compared to yours, that leaving them positioned flat to the MLP will give you the widest and in some ways nicest sonic field with sound field width for days when listening to music. On the other side, if they are far apart you may loose some solid images within the sound field between the speakers, especially the center fill. As I do like the wide sound field I also like the pinpoint accuracy within that field between the speakers so I have again compromised and toed my in 12 degrees. This way I tend to get both with a center image that is almost reach out and touchable.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #75 of 124 Old 12-12-15, 07:31 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
I have found with mine, which are truly small compared to yours, that leaving them positioned flat to the MLP will give you the widest and in some ways nicest sonic field with sound field width for days when listening to music. On the other side, if they are far apart you may loose some solid images within the sound field between the speakers, especially the center fill. As I do like the wide sound field I also like the pinpoint accuracy within that field between the speakers so I have again compromised and toed my in 12 degrees. This way I tend to get both with a center image that is almost reach out and touchable.
My MLP is 12' from the center JBL.... I only have about 6' total space between all 3 front horns (about 3' between horns). I am going to have to mark where they are and try them parallel to the AT Screen, and see what happens to the sound stage.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, (5) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, Oppo UDP-203, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #76 of 124 Old 12-13-15, 01:04 PM
Shackster

Quote:
Thank you for bringing this up as I do respect Gedlee and his findings and I guess now that you mention it, I should try toeing them in like you said. I do not understand why that would work but what the he is a smarter man than I in this subject. As far as sitting back further from the speakers, that I have done and it does work, good sound still abounds there. However, my choices are more room dependent that anything else. I love a good sounstage second only to authentic sonics and if I sit back too far the bass becomes less solid as there is a dip in the bass. If I move the speakers further into the room so I can sit back further then I get a bump upward in the bass region and it sounds rather icky.

I guess I have settled for something in the middle. I would really love to hear his speakers some day as his horns are so well made compared to mine and would most probably work much better.

Oh and I remeasured and the speakers are 10' apart and my chair is about 10' out.
When using Gedlee's method, it's probably why you need to use his second suggestion: multiple subwoofers in order to smooth out the peaks and dips in the low frequencies and even out the bass from the MLP as well as other LP

Kelvin
post #77 of 124 Old 12-13-15, 01:07 PM
Shackster

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
My MLP is 12' from the center JBL.... I only have about 6' total space between all 3 front horns (about 3' between horns). I am going to have to mark where they are and try them parallel to the AT Screen, and see what happens to the sound stage.
Would love to know if you sound improves... Would feel better knowing that my small question could help someone achieve sonic nirvana

Kelvin
post #78 of 124 Old 12-15-15, 12:46 AM
Shackster
macddmac

Any thoughts on a diagonal setup in a square room?
10x10x9 ish office with Dynaudio focus 110's
Thanks in advance!
Mac
post #79 of 124 Old 12-15-15, 08:31 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Quote:
subwoofery wrote: View Post
When using Gedlee's method, it's probably why you need to use his second suggestion: multiple subwoofers in order to smooth out the peaks and dips in the low frequencies and even out the bass from the MLP as well as other LP

Kelvin
I agree and I do have two subs to do just that. It works well for me.

Thanks for the advice

Good Listening

Jack

post #80 of 124 Old 12-15-15, 08:33 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Quote:
macddmac wrote: View Post
Any thoughts on a diagonal setup in a square room?
10x10x9 ish office with Dynaudio focus 110's
Thanks in advance!
Mac
Hi there Mac,
By Diagonal do you mean with the corner of the room centered between the speakers ??

Good Listening

Jack