2 Channel Picture Gallery - Page 13 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

3Likes

post #121 of 204 Old 02-14-14, 12:48 AM
Shackster

Peter

Re: 2 Channel Picture Gallery

Quote:
Blacklightning wrote: View Post
Do you keep your subs on ALL THE TIME or do you sometimes turn them off if they get in the way? I'm guessing you are running them at 2 different levels for music and HT.
Hi, yes I have the subs on all the time. they play up to about 45hz where the front speakers take over. I don`t turn the level on the subs up at all on the subs, but I use the reciver and normally add +4db on the subs. This works well, but this room is mainley for 2channel music. The cinema part is put together from things i bought up threw the years, wich I havent been albe to sell to others. It works for movie but the room is way better for music.

I have played with the subs on and of the first 2 week after I got them integrated in the system, took me around 150 hours, and I like the bottom the subs give in the soundstage. The sound is mutch lager with the subs than without. I also have about 6db gain from 200hz down to 16hz, that gives me the thump and sound that I like. I have som trouble around 150hz and 200hz with some thin canselations, that I`m currently working on. And I also have a samll standing wave at 50hz ( that I think komes form the amplifier ) that I also want to get rid off.

I`m also currently playing arround with time delay on the main speakers, to see if I can gett eaven better sound from that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 204 Old 02-27-14, 06:38 PM
Shackster

Pete

I'll play. Old room in the house I sold a year ago was a dedicated 2 channel (Aural Enlightenment) and I had a separate HT (The Sanctum). Now I am renting so have had to combine the 2 channel with the HT gear in the basement of the rental. I still ran a dedicated 20 amp line and I keep the systems totally separate and literally unplug the speakers from one system and connect to the other when switching back and forth.

The old system first, much sexier. Double drywall, green glued, bass trapped, DIY N53 diffusors, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
2 Channel Picture Gallery-dscn6099.jpg  

2 Channel Picture Gallery-dscn6040.jpg  

2 Channel Picture Gallery-dscn6044.jpg  

2 Channel Picture Gallery-dscn6043.jpg  

2 Channel Picture Gallery-dscn6105.jpg  

2 channel: TRL Dude preamp, Lampizator L4/G4 dac, TRL Samson monoblocks, Salk Soundscape 8's, BPT Ultra 3.5, DIY power cords
Shared HT: Mitsubishi HC5000BL PJ, Onkyo PR-SC885P Processor, Oppo 103D, ATI 1505, Rythmik 12SE, Salk SS8's, Berkline 088's, Aura bass shakers
post #123 of 204 Old 02-27-14, 06:46 PM
Shackster

Pete

Present room is a total compromise given I am renting and have to live with limited capability to move walls and attach things. I did crank out a cheap and dirty shelving system with removable tops and notched. hinged lids to access the rear power switches on all the stereo gear. Threw in some diffusors and minor treatments and it turned out pretty good for now. The room is 32 feet deep and 9 foot high so I do not have any nasty humps affecting my stereo listening. I only use the sub for HT work.
Attached Thumbnails
2 Channel Picture Gallery-dscn7514.jpg  

2 Channel Picture Gallery-dscn7515.jpg  

2 Channel Picture Gallery-dscn7517.jpg  

2 channel: TRL Dude preamp, Lampizator L4/G4 dac, TRL Samson monoblocks, Salk Soundscape 8's, BPT Ultra 3.5, DIY power cords
Shared HT: Mitsubishi HC5000BL PJ, Onkyo PR-SC885P Processor, Oppo 103D, ATI 1505, Rythmik 12SE, Salk SS8's, Berkline 088's, Aura bass shakers

post #124 of 204 Old 02-27-14, 07:05 PM
Shackster

My System

Red,

Any room with Soundscapes is gonna sound good.

How well does your Center channel integrate with the Soundscapes when you are doing the HT thing? When I got my HT3s, I still had a SongCenter. When I switched to the HTC it really tied the room together.
post #125 of 204 Old 02-27-14, 07:11 PM
Shackster

Pete

Quote:
Putz wrote: View Post
Red,

Any room with Soundscapes is gonna sound good.

How well does your Center channel integrate with the Soundscapes when you are doing the HT thing? When I got my HT3s, I still had a SongCenter. When I switched to the HTC it really tied the room together.
That center is an old AV123 unit I had kicking around. I've owned several Salk centers over the years. I will eventually get a matching center for these. It does not mate well, the AV123 speaker, but when I am engrossed in a movie I get over it pretty quick.

I've owned HT3's, HT2TL, Archos, Songtowers, V3's, and SS8's.

I'll have to post in the HT forum some pics of my old HT.

post #126 of 204 Old 03-01-14, 07:56 AM
Shackster

Quote:
Bowers wrote: View Post
Hi, yes I have the subs on all the time. they play up to about 45hz where the front speakers take over. I don`t turn the level on the subs up at all on the subs, but I use the reciver and normally add +4db on the subs. This works well, but this room is mainley for 2channel music. The cinema part is put together from things i bought up threw the years, wich I havent been albe to sell to others. It works for movie but the room is way better for music.

I have played with the subs on and of the first 2 week after I got them integrated in the system, took me around 150 hours, and I like the bottom the subs give in the soundstage. The sound is mutch lager with the subs than without. I also have about 6db gain from 200hz down to 16hz, that gives me the thump and sound that I like. I have som trouble around 150hz and 200hz with some thin canselations, that I`m currently working on. And I also have a samll standing wave at 50hz ( that I think komes form the amplifier ) that I also want to get rid off.

I`m also currently playing arround with time delay on the main speakers, to see if I can gett eaven better sound from that...
Fantastic space. Really nice!

Maybe I missed it, but can you clarify if you are using the subs with 2 chnl AND with HT? If so, specifically how do you integrate the subs between the two systems? => meaning when you switch from HT to 2 chnl what components/devices handle the switching between the two different "listening environments" (antimode?). Basically a HT bypass so subs can be used with both.

I am struggling with that issue as I want to have a 2.2 system for music and a 5.2 for HT (both using subs) but using separate components => AVR for HT and a dedicated Pre, DAC, Amps for 2chnl. This seems next to impossible and or with very limited choices (hardware components), unless you use an AVR (which is what I do currently) to handle both modes.

Having a dedicated room for each would solve the problem (which I could do, but beyond the scope of this discussion) but I have a multipurpose room for now.

FWIW, I am considering the following (appears to be the only options):
Classe CP-800 (has a HT bypass that will use subs for both modes)
Parasound P5 (has HT bypass)
Emo XSP-1 Gen2 (has HT bypass)
post #127 of 204 Old 03-01-14, 11:47 AM
Shackster

Peter

Quote:
Ratamacue wrote: View Post
Fantastic space. Really nice!

Maybe I missed it, but can you clarify if you are using the subs with 2 chnl AND with HT? If so, specifically how do you integrate the subs between the two systems? => meaning when you switch from HT to 2 chnl what components/devices handle the switching between the two different "listening environments" (antimode?). Basically a HT bypass so subs can be used with both.

I am struggling with that issue as I want to have a 2.2 system for music and a 5.2 for HT (both using subs) but using separate components => AVR for HT and a dedicated Pre, DAC, Amps for 2chnl. This seems next to impossible and or with very limited choices (hardware components), unless you use an AVR (which is what I do currently) to handle both modes.

Having a dedicated room for each would solve the problem (which I could do, but beyond the scope of this discussion) but I have a multipurpose room for now.

FWIW, I am considering the following (appears to be the only options):
Classe CP-800 (has a HT bypass that will use subs for both modes)
Parasound P5 (has HT bypass)
Emo XSP-1 Gen2 (has HT bypass)

Hi, I`ll try to explain.

My system is set ut to sound best in 2channel mode. I listen mostly to music and maybe I watch a movie once a week.

The DSPeaker Antimode (Link: http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/20-dual-core.shtml ) is used to take away a huge standing wave I have around 70hz due to the room size.

The subs play up til 40hz where the speakers take over. The Antimode is also used as a DAC ( digital to analoge converter ) and I also use it for to make my house curve in the bass region.

When I then want to see a movie, I move the cabels, I unplugg them from the 2 channel pre amplifier, and plug them in on the home theater reciver/amplifiers LFE/Sub out, I also unplugg the speaker cables an replug them to home theater reciver/Amplifier. I also turn the crossover on the subs OFF. All the way clockvise. And when I use the subs for 2 channel music, I turn the corssover all the way anticlockvise.

In cinema mode, I set the main speakers to small, and set the sub to on and plus. I then set the crossover in the cinema amplifier to 80hz. And then I use the home cinema ampilfiers room setup, to meassure the distance and so on. When that is done I also increase the LFE out with 6db.

My cinema amplifier will then send all the LFE bass to the subs. And the rest fron 80hz and up the the main speakers. Since that standing wave of 70hz comes fron the speakers, I don`t use the antimode for watching movie.

To change from 2 Channel mode to Cinema mode, takes 20sec.

I Use the subs for both music and movie. I move 4 cables physically.

Was this ok explained?
post #128 of 204 Old 03-03-14, 06:56 PM
Shackster

/\ /\

Yep, makes sense. First time I've read someone physically switching cables between systems and am thinking that may be the solution for me as well! Instead of looking for a component (which are few and far between) to perform such a task. The more I think of it the better I like it.
post #129 of 204 Old 03-03-14, 09:24 PM
Shackster

Peter

Quote:
Ratamacue wrote: View Post
/\ /\

Yep, makes sense. First time I've read someone physically switching cables between systems and am thinking that may be the solution for me as well! Instead of looking for a component (which are few and far between) to perform such a task. The more I think of it the better I like it.
If you take your time and install things correctly and wise. The components you put in will pobabbly deincrease the sound og one of the systems.

The time it takes to move the cables is worth it. Think of all the money you save an can use for music...
post #130 of 204 Old 03-30-14, 11:03 AM
Shackster

My audio system

Stéphane
Closed Thread