2 Channel Picture Gallery - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

3Likes
Closed Thread

post #21 of 204 Old 11-24-11, 05:47 PM
Shackster

Re: 2 Channel Picture Gallery

Well, let's see - looking at the pictures posted thus far has motivated me to finally crank out part I of a system block diagram. Not an original idea, I've seen others with block diagrams and really liked them - this one was done on Microsoft Visio, then exported as a JPEG picture.

2ch whole house system diagram:

2ch Main System Diagram: (center ch components final, to be repackaged in custom enclosure)

Amp Rack:

Prototype / Test Speaker System:

Last edited by Dual-500; 11-26-11 at 04:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 204 Old 11-27-11, 05:03 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
mjcmt wrote: View Post
I initially wasn't going to post my system because it is only partially completed. It is at a stand still, for lack of funds for the foreseeable future. I decided to post it for your comments and advice. Though not completed it is quite superb sounding for its simple direct approach.

System:
1990 Yamaha cdx450 cd player using its variable output > Audio Electronics Super Amp MkII power amp > 1979 Altec Lansing Model 15 speakers. All cabling is Kimber Kable. Target Audio equipment rack w/ 2" thick maple shelves.
I added a Mac c37 preamp and mr77 tuner. Came across them for a great price because they needed repair. I was able to accomplish the easy fix on the preamp so it is up and running, except I'm missing the remote which are near impossible to find. The tuner needs to go in for a re-calibration, because it will not pick up weak and marginal stations, but is fine on the powerful stations.

When I came across these pieces I thought maybe I'd use them for a 2 channel HT system with my DIY SEAS Froy III speakers after I find a Mac SS 2 channel amp for a super price. In the mean time I installed it in my existing music system. Sound is now fuller w better bass, more musical, and a smooth clarity vs. the audiophile detail. Music has soul to its presentation.

Here is what it consists of:
AES Superamp 2 amp, McIntosh C37 pre /MR77 tuner, Altec Model 15 speaker, Yamaha CDX450 cdp, Target Audio Rack, Kimber and MIT cabling.

Last edited by mjcmt; 02-18-13 at 03:35 PM.
post #23 of 204 Old 11-27-11, 06:17 PM
Shackster

^ I like those Altec's. Real nice - I used 802 drivers on 811 & 511 sectoral horns back in the day when starting up with a mobile DJ business. System ran rear horn loaded bottom end with Altec, then JBL 2205 15" woofers.

Altec Sectoral Horns

They were the first high end horns I have experience with. After listening to horns, for me there is no going back.

(The McIntosh gear is real pretty too)

Last edited by Dual-500; 12-03-11 at 04:24 PM.

post #24 of 204 Old 01-07-12, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System

Quote:
Dual-500 wrote: View Post
After listening to horns, for me there is no going back.
Absolutely! Adding constant directivity speakers to a system has roughly the same effect as acoustically treating the room.

Dual-500 and mjcmt, you have two extremes going here. One is a highly processed system dialed into the room and user taste, the other is a minimalist approach. Good to see, guys!

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #25 of 204 Old 01-08-12, 09:21 PM
Shackster

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
Absolutely! Adding constant directivity speakers to a system has roughly the same effect as acoustically treating the room.

Dual-500 and mjcmt, you have two extremes going here. One is a highly processed system dialed into the room and user taste, the other is a minimalist approach. Good to see, guys!
Two things to add:

1) It's nice to interact with someone that has the awareness to understand that for exactly what it is and effectively articulate as such.

2) While I took a totally different path with my setup, I most certainly do appreciate other ideas and IMO the McIntosh/Altec system is sweet.

Here's somthing from the archives while we're on the topic of Altec's. Vintage 1978, a little over 33 years ago. I had to go dig for pictures of the Altec's. This is off of a slide and I blew it up 600% on the scanner. Where my pro sound career started with a 1st generation Mobile DY system.

A pair of Altec A4's with the multi-cell horns, 1.4" Altec drivers (don't remember the model numbers right now) and they are flanked on the outside by a pair of rear horn loaded JBL enclosures with JBL-E-140 15's in them and a pair of Altec 511 sectoral radial horns on them with Altec 802D drivers. On top of the 511's were a pair of 811's wiht the same 802D compression drivers. The A4's stood 84" tall and contained a pair of JBL 2205 15" drivers per enclosure. There's a pair of Bose 901 III's on pedestals in front of the A4's. Had 3 basic systems, small, medium and large, plus throw it all together for extra large.

The A-4's were powered by a Phase Linear model 400, the JBL's were powered by a couple of Marantz integrated amps.

I had no clue what we were doing at that stage - strategy was to "Blow away the competition" and we did that. It was back breaking hauling it around and took 4 guys for setup and teardown.

Here's a picture of the Altec A4's with the side wings on them - these are the original Voice of the Theatre.

I hauled them around for about a year to the larger venues. They sounded great - would love to have a pair in a big room.......

Last edited by Dual-500; 01-08-12 at 09:31 PM.
post #26 of 204 Old 01-09-12, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System

Quote:
Here's somthing from the archives while we're on the topic of Altec's. Vintage 1978, a little over 33 years ago. I had to go dig for pictures of the Altec's. This is off of a slide and I blew it up 600% on the scanner. Where my pro sound career started with a 1st generation Mobile DY system.

A pair of Altec A4's with the multi-cell horns, 1.4" Altec drivers (don't remember the model numbers right now) and they are flanked on the outside by a pair of rear horn loaded JBL enclosures with JBL-E-140 15's in them and a pair of Altec 511 sectoral radial horns on them with Altec 802D drivers. On top of the 511's were a pair of 811's wiht the same 802D compression drivers. The A4's stood 84" tall and contained a pair of JBL 2205 15" drivers per enclosure. There's a pair of Bose 901 III's on pedestals in front of the A4's. Had 3 basic systems, small, medium and large, plus throw it all together for extra large.

The A-4's were powered by a Phase Linear model 400, the JBL's were powered by a couple of Marantz integrated amps.

I had no clue what we were doing at that stage - strategy was to "Blow away the competition" and we did that. It was back breaking hauling it around and took 4 guys for setup and teardown.
Wow! Blow away the competition indeed. Classic, unforgettable gear. That literally looks like a ton of fun.

I just went with waveguided speakers myself. http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-sho-10-a.html

2 Channel Picture Gallery-sho-10.jpg

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #27 of 204 Old 03-18-12, 07:54 PM
hartsfield2

My System

ello mjcmt

very nice altec and mcintosh
post #28 of 204 Old 03-18-12, 08:11 PM
Shackster

Quote:
Wow! Blow away the competition indeed. Classic, unforgettable gear. That literally looks like a ton of fun.

I just went with waveguided speakers myself. http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-sho-10-a.html

Attachment 34388
Very nice. The horns look similar to the JBL 2404. I like the wall treatment arrangement scheme. How did you arrive at that? First shot effort or some testing? Just curious. Some day, I'll do something in my den (Theatre Room).

I'm a big fan of speaker stands or flying them. Nothing on the floor unless it's huge - except for the subwoofer.
post #29 of 204 Old 03-19-12, 07:05 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
^ I like those Altec's. Real nice - I used 802 drivers on 811 & 511 sectoral horns back in the day when starting up with a mobile DJ business. System ran rear horn loaded bottom end with Altec, then JBL 2205 15" woofers.
They were the first high end horns I have experience with. After listening to horns, for me there is no going back.
(The McIntosh gear is real pretty too)
The first horns I heard were Ueri 811's powered by Hafler amps in a recording studio in Chicago. Blew me away, and I will never forget the sound.

Quote:
I've noticed that too. When I had the Altecs in a lively room they was very clear and precise.

Quote:
While I took a totally different path with my setup, I most certainly do appreciate other ideas and IMO the McIntosh/Altec system is sweet.
Quote:
hartsfielsd2 wrote: View Post
hello mjcmt
very nice altec and mcintosh
Thanks all. I do think that Altec and Mac is a great combo, though I'm using a Mac preamp with Cary/AES tube amps to power them. I ultimately want to trade the Cary/AES out for a Mac power amp to try an all Mac/Altec system.

BTW, I replaced the Yamaha CDP for a vintage Sony ES cdp with much better micro details and clarity. And I sold the Mac tuner to try to locate a HD tuner. Plus I want to add a good vintage turntable to the system to take advantage to the Mac preamps excellent phono stage.
post #30 of 204 Old 03-21-12, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System

Quote:
Very nice. The horns look similar to the JBL 2404. I like the wall treatment arrangement scheme. How did you arrive at that? First shot effort or some testing? Just curious. Some day, I'll do something in my den (Theatre Room).

I'm a big fan of speaker stands or flying them. Nothing on the floor unless it's huge - except for the subwoofer.
Thank you. My room is very lively. I arranged light treatments to catch slap echo. There are more on the wall (I doubled them up) which is 2 ft. behind the listening position. Testing consisted of clapping my hands. This is my first effort at room treatments, I just wanted to eliminate that annoying "ping".

I would recommend looking into our Home Audio Acoustics forum, and taking a gander at what GIK Acoustics has to offer. Much better than the foam.

Closed Thread