2 Channel Picture Gallery - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

3Likes

post #41 of 204 Old 10-24-12, 08:42 PM
Shackster

Re: 2 Channel Picture Gallery

Quote:
Wardsweb wrote: View Post
Here is another taken later that day with the grills off the speakers.

What are they? I see a JBL looking slot tweeter, and the 15/18 looks like vintage JBL, but the horn looks like an Altec 511 sectoral.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 204 Old 10-24-12, 08:50 PM
Elite Shackster

Luther

My System

Quote:
Dual-500 wrote: View Post
What are they? I see a JBL looking slot tweeter, and the 15/18 looks like vintage JBL, but the horn looks like an Altec 511 sectoral.
You have a very good eye for drivers. I made these custom speakers using drivers for how I wanted to hear the music. The Altec 511B horns with Altec 802-8G drivers gives me the big open and airy sound for a magical midrange. The JBL 077 slot tweeters add the top end detail and "sizzle". The JBL 2235H bring it all home with solid tight bass that dips down into sub territory. You may read about these in this thread:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-way-horn.html

~There are many roads to nirvana, while the ultimate goal is the destination, don't forget to enjoy the ride~
post #43 of 204 Old 10-24-12, 08:56 PM
Shackster

^ I ran Altec 511's and 811's with the 802 D's back in the late 70's in a mobile DJ system. JBL 2205 15's for low end, in rear horn loaded JBL copy enclosures. Used JBL 2405's in numerous projects over the years and have 2206 12's and 2245 18's in current system.

The Altec 511 horns sound great and are very unique for sure - Voice of the Theatre era hardware.

I noticed some JBL pro looking drivers on the Sun Room system as well.

That cabinet work is sublime. The custom's in the guest room are interesting as well. Thanks for posting the link.

post #44 of 204 Old 10-24-12, 09:08 PM
Elite Shackster

Luther

My System

Quote:
Dual-500 wrote: View Post
^ I ran Altec 511's and 811's with the 802 D's back in the late 70's in a mobile DJ system. JBL 2205 15's for low end, in rear horn loaded JBL copy enclosures. Used JBL 2405's in numerous projects over the years and have 2206 12's and 2245 18's in current system.

The Altec 511 horns sound great and are very unique for sure - Voice of the Theatre era hardware.

I noticed some JBL pro looking drivers on the Sun Room system as well.

That cabinet work is sublime. The custom's in the guest room are interesting as well. Thanks for posting the link.
The speakers in the sun room are JBL C50 Olympus with custom CNC "smith horns" and JBL 2405 sitting on top. You may read more on the horns in this thread:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...rn-clones.html

~There are many roads to nirvana, while the ultimate goal is the destination, don't forget to enjoy the ride~
post #45 of 204 Old 10-24-12, 10:29 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

I am impressed by all of these setups... very nice gear. Thanks to everyone who has shared pics. I hope we continue to see more.

Those speakers in #38 look really familiar.
post #46 of 204 Old 10-24-12, 10:36 PM
Elite Shackster

Luther

My System

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
I am impressed by all of these setups... very nice gear. Thanks to everyone who has shared pics. I hope we continue to see more.

Those speakers in #38 look really familiar.
The Martin Logan Prodigy electrostats were my mains in the home theater until the Klipsch Jubilee horns moved in. These are from the Klipsch pro line and are sold as the speakers that go behind the screen at movie theaters. Although, these were custom ordered with South African mahogany in the Klipsch plant in Hope Arkansas. I also added the grills to make them more home friendly. While the they can play very loud the advantage to the large horns is they articulate very well at low volumes. It is like being able to hear a whisper very clearly. I use a EV DX-38 active crossover and biamp these.

post #47 of 204 Old 11-04-12, 10:09 AM
Senior Shackster

Mark Henninger

My System

Sweet gear. Here's one of my speakers, I gotta clean up a bit before I take a room shot.

The drivers are Sony XPLOD 12" subs, rated at 360 watts RMS each and wired parallel for a 2 ohm load in an acoustic suspension enclosure... More interestingly, the subs are good up to 1,000 Hz which was more than high enough for me to mate directly with my horns, which can go down to 600 Hz. Crossover is at 700 Hz (currently). The end result is a truly full-range 2-way system. Bi-amped with Crown XTi-2002 for the bass (1,000 watts/channel RMS @ 2 ohms), Crown XTi-1000 for the highs - crossover is achieved in the Crowns' DSP.

Here's a peek at the compression driver and horn. It's resting on a 40 lb slab of stone and a 10lb weight - the horn is covered in duct putty, this picture is before I put felt on the horn's flange and cleaned it up...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DIY HTPC - 32GB RAM, 4.4Ghz overclocked quad-core i5 CPU -- -- Crown XTi-2002 -- Crown XTi-1000 -- Mains: 4X Sony Xplod XS-GTX121LW 12" subwoofer/woofers & Selenium D3300Ti 2" Titanium Horn Driver (tweeter) -- Subwoofers - 4X DIY 12" Sony Xplod Ported - 16hz tune -- Pioneer Elite SC-55 AVR

Last edited by Dub King; 11-04-12 at 10:26 AM.
post #48 of 204 Old 11-04-12, 03:02 PM
Shackster

^ While I do appreciate the high end and vintage factory gear. For me the DIY stuff is my favorite and active crossovers are the best of the best without a doubt. Very nice - bet they have some good dynamic range and punch.

Last edited by Dual-500; 11-30-12 at 07:14 AM.
post #49 of 204 Old 11-30-12, 12:47 AM
Shackster

Hopefully the picture comes across but here's a shot thats about 10yrs ago.
I still have the Peavy SP 1's for my main midrage drivers. I just love the way horns sound...
Never mind the mess...
Attached Thumbnails
2 Channel Picture Gallery-sound-system-old.jpg  

Last edited by The_Beerswine; 11-30-12 at 12:52 AM. Reason: No picture!!!!
post #50 of 204 Old 11-30-12, 01:18 AM
Shackster

Here's a Picture of the Marantz stuff in the front room all still original inside and working.
I just love this old skool stuff...
Attached Thumbnails
2 Channel Picture Gallery-marantz.jpg  

Closed Thread