Overly Bright Green Issues... - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 11 Old 01-18-15, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

TXFlyGuy

Overly Bright Green Issues...

After calibrating my new TV, the greens are still WAY TOO BRIGHT. Almost a fluorescent lime green. Everything else is perfect...especially flesh tones.

Grass is very artificial in color, even real grass.

Is there a way to tackle the greens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-19-15, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

TXFlyGuy

Re: Overly Bright Green Issues...

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
It sounds like it wasn't calibrated properly. Who calibrated it and how did they do it?
I did it using the Disney WOW Bluray disc. Everything is perfect...except the bright lime green! Wish there was a way to simply turn the green down. All I can do is increase the red, that is no help.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-20-15, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

TXFlyGuy

Quote:
How are you addressing red? With the Color control?

Have you looked at this thread? What model is your display?
Thanks. It is a new Samsung UN55HU8550. The picture is stunning with great natural looking colors all the way around...except the "cartoon like" overly bright lime greens. Natural grass (or tree leaves) in an outdoor setting (city park) do not look good at all. Very unnatural. But, this is mostly on the Japan TV Channel. This channel seems to have issues with crushed white syndrome as well.

I did turn the red up, hoping that it would abate the green. No luck. The greens remained overly bright and the reds went overboard as well. Re-set it to the 50% setting. The control is a single G/R slider. To the right increases reds, to the left increases greens. No way to decrease the colors.

post #4 of 11 Old 01-20-15, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

TXFlyGuy

Quote:
I'm gonna guess that it's some sort of motion control that may be causing the issue. Take a look at David Katzmeier's settings and compare them to yours. I wouldn't mess with the white balance and color space settings though.

Let me know if this helps.
Thanks...I'm working on it now. Will let you know.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-20-15, 08:51 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

What video mode are you using? Cinema is usually the best one to work with as a starting point.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #6 of 11 Old 01-20-15, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

TXFlyGuy

Quote:
I'm gonna guess that it's some sort of motion control that may be causing the issue. Take a look at David Katzmeier's settings and compare them to yours. I wouldn't mess with the white balance and color space settings though.

Let me know if this helps.
Ok...set up mimicking Katzmeier's settings. Did not change the white balance or color space. The result is whites with a strong blue push, and red faces on everyone...literally! And the greens are still that cartoon bright limey color.

Why not play with the color space settings? Would this not help in the abatement of the green?
post #7 of 11 Old 01-23-15, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

TXFlyGuy

Called Samsung Tech Support. They did a diagnosis online, then reset to the factory default settings. The green is so bad that my TV is almost un-watchable. A factory technician is scheduled to come out to our house and make things right.

The folks at Samsung are very good, very patient, and a pleasure to deal with.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-24-15, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

TXFlyGuy

One more problem now..."picture jitter". The picture will jitter about every 60 seconds. If there is script, it is blurred and unreadable. The entire picture is out of focus, then will become normal again. 60 seconds later, it is shaking once again.
Maybe those earthquakes in Dallas have affected my Sammy? Can't wait to see the tech and hear what he has to say.

I guess this is called "judder". It is driving me crazy!

Did more reading - found that turning off the auto motion-plus feature fixes this problem. We'll see...

Last edited by Oleson, M.D.; 01-24-15 at 09:44 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-28-15, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

TXFlyGuy

The Samsung tech came over yesterday. He did a few simple adjustments to the settings in the advanced menu...everything looks really good now. The greens are very natural.

He plugged in a 4K drive to give a demo on the TV. It looked really, really good! But a good transfer bluray looks pretty good too. I think anything less than 80 to 100 inches will not benefit that much from 4K.
Where the real benefit will come is on front projection (see Sony). On a screen of 150" or so, you will live the experience!
post #10 of 11 Old 01-30-15, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

TXFlyGuy

Quote:
Did you see what he changed?
Not really, other than he adjusted various settings in the advanced menu. The greens are MUCH more natural now. The tech said that factory settings at Samsung (like other manufacturers) have everything tweaked to the upper limit.

Guess I should have taken notes...oh well.