Are dvd calibration videos worth it - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 15 Old 02-21-14, 07:33 PM
Shackster

Paul

My System
I like Disney's WOW disc a lot. They have the coolest brightness and contrast patterns I have seen.

Waiting for Jerry Jones to fire himself.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 04-28-14, 12:43 PM
Shackster

Michael TLV

Send a message via Yahoo to michael tlv Send a message via Skype™ to michael tlv
Re: Are dvd calibration videos worth it

Greetings

http://www.tlvexp.ca/2012/01/calibra...us-the-people/

This article is a good read. Talks about what is involved in calibration and when the hardware is really needed.

I'd take a test disc and a guy that knows how to use it over someone that puts all his trust in hardware.

regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
Friendly Neighborhood THX Video Systems Instructor / ISF Instructor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-02-14, 09:40 AM
Shackster

Michael TLV

Send a message via Yahoo to michael tlv Send a message via Skype™ to michael tlv

Greetings

The tools do not make the man ...

I've seen a calibrator with a color munki photo ($400) (hardly a reference device) outperform another so called seasoned calibrator using a CS200 ($13500).

Superior tools do not guarantee superior results. (Like buying a professional camera does not make you shoot professional photos.)

The tools do not make the calibrator.

One can achieve 70% of the process with just a test disc. The tools add the final 30%. Take away the 70% and a perfect 30% on an exam is still a fail. There is more to the process than just using the hardware.

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
Friendly Neighborhood THX Video Systems Instructor / ISF Instructor

post #14 of 15 Old 08-14-14, 02:43 PM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System
Rec

Quote:
michael tlv wrote: View Post
...One can achieve 70% of the process with just a test disc. The tools add the final 30%. Take away the 70% and a perfect 30% on an exam is still a fail. There is more to the process than just using the hardware...
Agreed. But after reading your post, I want at least another 20%.

Quote:
jim1174 wrote: View Post
Are the dvd/blu-ray calibration videos really worth the money ? if so what one would you recomend
I picked the Spears & Munsil over the Disney WOW, because it seemed to offer both basic and advanced calibration. Whichever you choose, be sure to check ANY system component that has video adjustments of its own (TV, Satellite Receiver Box, HT Receiver, DVD/BluRay Player, Xbox, etc.).

First calibrate the DVD/BuRay Player and TV as a unit. The Spears & Munsil instructions are easy to follow and are clear on this point. If you can't seem to get a particular calibration setting within the proper range, you may need to boost/cut the setting on the TV, the player, or both. Be sure to save the calibration settings on each device. TV's usually have a CUSTOM memory category for that purpose.

After you have the TV/player combo dialed in, you can use presets on the other devices to fine tune them to your taste. For example, when playing video games, you can use the TV's "GAME" setting, and return it to CUSTOM to recall your calibrated settings.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-14-14, 03:32 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Quote:
michael tlv wrote: View Post
Greetings

The tools do not make the man ...

I've seen a calibrator with a color munki photo ($400) (hardly a reference device) outperform another so called seasoned calibrator using a CS200 ($13500).

Superior tools do not guarantee superior results. (Like buying a professional camera does not make you shoot professional photos.)

The tools do not make the calibrator.

One can achieve 70% of the process with just a test disc. The tools add the final 30%. Take away the 70% and a perfect 30% on an exam is still a fail. There is more to the process than just using the hardware.

Regards

One cannot underestimate the value of understanding and experience on the part of the person doing the calibrating. The best way to get the most from your system, no matter waht discs or hardware or software you use, is to learn as much as possible about what makes an image look the way it does, and as much as possible about your display and the tools at hand. Michael's videos are one of the best ways to do this.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.