Video Calibration Q&A - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 77 Old 04-28-08, 07:30 AM
Zee
Inactive

Re: Video Calibration Q&A

OK, so, I run a business installing home theaters. Been doing it for a long time, but I want to take the next step.

I've looked into the ISF course, and was wondering if the CalMAN pro software with Eye one pro will:
Be fine for LCD, Plasma AND projection (I can never seem to get a straight answer when I search probes).

And, secondly, is it to "ISF standards"? I'm sure the Colorfacts pro software is wonderful, but geez.. it's pricey.

And finally, how does a Spider 3 compare to the eye one Pro?

Thanks for the help...

Z...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 77 Old 04-28-08, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Bill

Quote:
Zee wrote: View Post
OK, so, I run a business installing home theaters. Been doing it for a long time, but I want to take the next step.

I've looked into the ISF course, and was wondering if the CalMAN pro software with Eye one pro will:
Be fine for LCD, Plasma AND projection (I can never seem to get a straight answer when I search probes).
Yes, but with a caveat. If you have to use only one meter as a Pro due to budget constraints, then the i1 Pro is it. After it, you start to get into meters costing several thousand dollars (US Pesos, really; the last time I was in Australia, the Aussie dollar was at US$0.67). The caveat is that this leaves you with a single point of failure for your business (they ought to be recalibrated every year, and they do break occasionally). Many of our professionals like to use a meter like a Chroma 5 or DisplayLT as a lower cost "back-up", that also helps with setting the grayscale controls on the new, higher-contrast direct-view displays (e.g., Pioneer Kuro). We sell kits at a lower cost for either of these options (i1 Pro + Pro software; i1 Pro + Chroma 5 + Software) on our website.

Quote:
And, secondly, is it to "ISF standards"? I'm sure the Colorfacts pro software is wonderful, but geez.. it's pricey.
This is essentially why we got into business. With all due respect to Joel Silver, the ISF does not actually set the standards. The standards are set by organizations like the Society for Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE; I'm a member), the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) and the European Broadcasting Union. In fact, any time you see "Rec. 709" (aka HD), this is really shorthand for ITU-R Recommendation BT.709-XX (with XX being the current revision number).

We are trying to get onto the ISF "approved" list, but they had a six month backlog of paid evaluation work they were trying to complete. Expect to see this happen eventually.

Quote:
And finally, how does a Spider 3 compare to the eye one Pro?
It's a decent option for LCDs or DLPs, but we can't recommend it for CRT and plasma use yet. I also would not use it with any type of "spiky" light source (e.g., LED-based light engines). We also tend to steer professionals away from meters that are available at the local computer shop. There's a bit of a branding issue here (fee justification).

HTH!

Bill

CalMAN -- Home Theater Calibration Software
post #13 of 77 Old 04-28-08, 07:18 PM
Zee
Inactive

Excellent - that pretty much covers all I need to know.
Also, thanks for enlightening me on the ISF/SMPTE and standards issue.

I did notice the package price for the pro software and i1pro was particularly good. Local Aussie pricing is insane, in particular considering how well placed our currency is right now.

I expect to be placing an order soon. thanks for your help.
Cheers,

Z...

Last edited by Zee; 04-28-08 at 07:23 PM.

post #14 of 77 Old 04-28-08, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Bill

Download the evaluation software, as well. The documentation should give you a jumpstart on all of this.

post #15 of 77 Old 04-29-08, 08:55 AM
Zee
Inactive

Good idea - thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers

Z...
post #16 of 77 Old 04-29-08, 09:27 AM
Senior Shackster
George

I am unsure if my question here is out of place as I have no real knowledge of a lot of what has been said above.

I do know that I have a display issue in my projector, that I am unsure if it is something mechanical or just my setup. I have an IN76 projector viewed on a 92" screen, distance to screen is approx. 12 feet. Everything looks as it should doing video calibration tests, but I have this slight dip in the lower right hand corner of the image. As far as I can tell there is no adjustment in the menu for fixing one corner of the image. I do see it there when I run test images. The screen is flat and bordered (Screen Innovations) so that shouldn't be culprit. It's not really noticeable when watching a movie. As I said it is slight and gets worse toward the corner.

Should I get out my level? Or should I call the tech guys at Infocus for their opinion on a repair?
post #17 of 77 Old 04-29-08, 07:54 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Please start a new thread for your problem.

I'd start by checking centering and level. Look very carefully at the other side. You will likely see a similar problem.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #18 of 77 Old 10-05-08, 05:25 PM
Elite Shackster

Greg

I'm in process on acquiring materials to build an HCFR probe, because it's cheaper than the i1pro and I've been told it has better performance (especially at low light) than the i1D2/LT... I understand I'll need another probe to cal it against... realistically that means to me that it'll only be as accurate as the probe I compare it to... I have very limited access to a DTP94, the limited nature of this access is why I need another probe, but I digress...

Can anyone testify as to the performance (both in general and at low light) of the DTP94 vs the i1Pro vs the i1D2/LT? Not much point in building a probe that's good at low light when I have ot cal it with one that isn't!

Also, if anyone wants to challenge the assertion that the HCFR can be superior at low light to either the Pro/D2 I'm willing to listen...
post #19 of 77 Old 08-29-09, 10:31 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

With all due respect to Bill, who started the thread, there is a new kid on the block with respect to video calibration software. Tom Huffman, who some of you may know for his contributions to discussions on other forums, has a new product called ChromaPure. I have not used it, but you can see demos of it on his site, and there is an FAQ that is well written and consise on the site as well.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...hromapure.html

Like his competitors at SpectraCal (CalMAN), Tom is one of the guys that is pushing the calibration business forward, trying to make better sense of it all both at the level of enthusiast and professional. The software seems targeted to enthusiasts, but I suspect that it will not be long until a more advanced version is available.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #20 of 77 Old 08-30-09, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Bill

We look forward to competing against him.