Video Calibration Q&A - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 77 Old 04-12-10, 02:57 PM
Senior Shackster
Bob

Re: Video Calibration Q&A

I started to calibrate my tv and I have a question about the "Service Menu", not User Menu, for a Samsung LN32a550 tv. If someone (ME...) has gone into the SM and made some changes to the WB & WB-Movie numbers, can they be reset to the factory defaults if you use the "Factory Reset" setting in the SM? I neglected to write them down before changing and hope to get everything back to the default settings before retrying to calibrate my tv again. If not, where can you locate the factory settings for the SM that came with the tv from the manufacturer?

Thanks for any help.
Bob

Last edited by perritterd; 04-12-10 at 03:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 Old 04-12-10, 04:18 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

The only place that might have default settings is the service or training info. I do not recommend a reset in the service manual unless you know what parameters it affects.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #63 of 77 Old 04-12-10, 04:26 PM
Elite Shackster

Greg

That all makes sense Bill. Thanks. Is my understanding correct though, that some of the affordable colorimeters out there are ok unprofiled, even on LED back/edge lights, for grayscale work, and the profiling is only really necessary for CMS work? I'm talknig about the C5 and DTP94.

-Greg

Don't worry... nothing new here, I've already made that mistake. Trust me.

post #64 of 77 Old 04-12-10, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Bill

Quote:
perritterd wrote: View Post
I started to calibrate my tv and I have a question about the "Service Menu", not User Menu, for a Samsung LN32a550 tv. If someone (ME...) has gone into the SM and made some changes to the WB & WB-Movie numbers, can they be reset to the factory defaults if you use the "Factory Reset" setting in the SM? I neglected to write them down before changing and hope to get everything back to the default settings before retrying to calibrate my tv again. If not, where can you locate the factory settings for the SM that came with the tv from the manufacturer?

Thanks for any help.
Bob
Agree with Leonard on this one. Most SM "resets" take the display to a common set of values before any device-specific settings are loaded in the production line. In other words, the reset could be worse than simply working yourself out of the current hole.

Always, always, always write down the values you see in the service menu before making any changes. Also, it is usually worth investing the $20 - $30 for a copy of your TV's service manual before you start poking around. It's not a guarantee, but it should sober you up for how little explanation/information is available should you decide to skip rule #1.

CalMAN -- Home Theater Calibration Software
post #65 of 77 Old 04-12-10, 04:47 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Lots of service manuals are available for free if you dig. Virtually all are available for under $20 online. There are suggested sources in the DIY repair stickies and there are vendors in the vendor listings that have manuals.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #66 of 77 Old 04-12-10, 06:46 PM
Senior Shackster
Bob

Thanks Bear5K and lcaillo. You are both, of course, correct. I should have been more prepared instead of just jumping in without much thought! I am looking for a service manual here now but unable to locate one that might have all the settings from the factory shipping setup...but, I'll keep looking.

Thanks to both of you.
Bob
post #67 of 77 Old 11-13-11, 02:45 PM

I was hoping that someone might be able to help me. I am a newbie, and have attempted to do a video calibration. I have a Sony KDL52V5100, although it does have controls to do a gray level adjustments, it does not seem to have controls to adjust colors other than the the standard ones found through the remote control (Color & Hue). What is the way to the x,y,Y values for each color? Is this done via the Service Menu? What ever help anyone can give will be appreciated.

Randal
post #68 of 77 Old 05-10-12, 08:16 PM
Shackster

Are there any calibrators in indianapolis, indiana or does anybody know a calibrator in that area.
post #69 of 77 Old 02-04-13, 01:05 PM

Hello,

I have a Samsung LCD TV, model LE32B651 and I need to re-calibrate ADC values in the service menu. My concern is that the TV goes into SM under "dynamic" (or "standard") mode and calibrating in that modes seems a little odd to me. The service menu has this "WB Movie" option wich I can enable and rollback to ADC calibration... should I do that? The service manual has no word about it.

Thank you very much for your answer.
post #70 of 77 Old 04-18-13, 05:41 PM
Shackster

How often does a Calibrator need to go into a service menu or do they ever? If so; why?

Randal