Video Calibration Q&A - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 77 Old 04-18-13, 09:34 PM
Shackster

Michael TLV

Send a message via Yahoo to michael tlv Send a message via Skype™ to michael tlv
Re: Video Calibration Q&A

Greetings

Sony ... no
LG ... no
Samsung ... no
Sharp ... no
Panasonic ... no in Custom ... yes if THX mode
JVC ... no
Epson ... no

These apply to the higher end units of the brand, not the budget units which "may" have fewer controls.

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
Friendly Neighborhood THX Video Systems Instructor / ISF Instructor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 77 Old 09-20-13, 09:12 PM
Shackster

Video Calibration Q&A

I am so confused over VDO calibration, anyone can help me with it. I appreciate it.

- I use Laptop as VDO source. MKV movies were played and went to HDMI cable to LED display.
As a spyder4elite user (a true beginner) I can basically calibrate PC, Laptop Monitor.

but when I connected Laptop to a TV to do a calibration. there are so many questions

- Backlight, brightness, contrast.
what should i do with backlight? turn it all of to "ZERO"?

- Sharpness
Can a sharpness be calibrated using spyder meter?

- Color
Spydercal didn't tell me a thing how to adjust color

I don't mind buying a Calman 5. I.. I just want to know if Calman 5 can help me with my situation or not.

it seems i am in a deep black pit.
post #73 of 77 Old 09-20-13, 10:32 PM
Shackster

Michael TLV

Send a message via Yahoo to michael tlv Send a message via Skype™ to michael tlv

Greetings

What you are finding out is that when you buy a hammer, the hammer does not come with instructions on how to build a house.

Or books on brain surgery do not teach people to be doctors first.

Buying Calman or any other program does not mean you can sit back and let the software do the work. MAgic hands do not sprout from your laptop to calibrate a TV.

To calibrate a display, you need to learn how to do it. Software is a tool, but it won't teach you how to calibrate. Hammer ... instructions to build a house.

To learn to calibrate, you will have to spend a lot of time at DIY web sites readings and teaching yourself how to do this. At some point you might be proficient enough to do a reasonable job.

Much of this comes down to how much you value your time ($$). Is the value of your time worth little? If so, then spend the next year scrounging around for information and you will get to a calibrated TV eventually. IT has been surmised that even when people don't place much value on their time ... they still put something like $3/hr on it. So if we go with something like that ... you are looking at spending at least 100 hours in your learning process. (100x $3 = $300)

If you value your time more and want to get to an end result faster, then you will have to get some professional level training on how to do this. (Starts at $100 ... and up up up after that.) The 7 hours of training videos available from the link on this site is your start to being a competent DIYer. More efficient use of your time and you have more certainty that you did it correctly.

regards

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by michael tlv; 09-20-13 at 10:37 PM.

post #74 of 77 Old 04-08-14, 02:37 PM
Shackster
Bamb

Michael,

I'd be interested in one more opinion on this.

I have a video EQ Pro hooked up to a JVC RS25 (450 hours). Using custom 1 and normal for gamma in the RS25 and I also set contrast and brightness as well.

I also find I need more room in the CMS. I select advance in the video EQ to allow a wider gamut instead of 0-100, it's now 0-200. Brightness usually needs to be around 135 and its perfect.

The question is IF I use over 100, am I boosting to much?

Eric at AV Foundry doesn't recommend it,

In general, it's a bad idea to set either the saturation or brightness above 100. You're going to drive something into over saturation or clipping at some point. If you think about it as a multiplier - sending a full white signal at 255 (8-bit level) with a multiplier of 117% would result in 298, which doesn't fit in 8-bits anymore.

One thing to be very careful of here is that you run plenty of high level content through it before you are done calibrating. I've heard (and seen) some calibrations that are really good by the numbers in CalMAN, and make a nice picture on most content. But then during something like an explosion scene, where the picture level is high, the whole thing clips and gives green/red flashes. Sometimes it's just "sparklies" around the bright edges. What happens is that these bright pixels go beyond the 8 or 10 bit limit and cause problems.

Some implementations will "clamp" the value so that anything >255 is limited to 255. Others could wrap so that 298 results in 42. The first method of clamping fails more gracefully as over-saturation just quietly turns to pure white. It's been a long time since we worked on that part of the Eq, so I can't really remember which it uses.

Also, since the CMS works as a linear function, there is some interdependence between the controls. Meaning you might be able to increase saturation to say 120 if you reduce luminance by 5 or so.

So what does the RS25 at +50 mean? Can I boost it in the RS25 and then further adjust it in the Video EQ?

And why does the RS25 gamma only go to 95? Calman wants 100, my video EQ defaults to 100. Whats the deal.

I'm about to pay someone to come in and do this. Who do you recommend in the Puyallup,WA area?

Thanks,
Dave
post #75 of 77 Old 04-09-14, 10:37 AM
Shackster

Michael TLV

Greetings

Get the projector set up as best you can. Then add the video eq into the chain. this minimizes the impact of the EQ device. When you go too far, the eq makes some parts of the image appear solarized ... and discolored.

test patterns that show rgbcmy in the 235-253 range can more easily show that this is happening.

regards

post #76 of 77 Old 04-09-14, 08:59 PM
Shackster
Bamb

Did as you said and viola!

However, what do you think the chances are of this?

I checked all my cables in the back. I had a red screen flash and thought, this wasn't right. So I replaced my Oppo HDMI and now all of sudden, I wasn't lacking in any color and in fact it dialed right in with room to spare.

Have you ever had an experience where a cable gives you trouble like that?

Thanks for your reply and help.

Now I can watch a movie this weekend and enjoy it.
post #77 of 77 Old 04-09-14, 10:19 PM
Shackster

Michael TLV

I have seen HDMI cables go bad over time ... ... and it isn't just sparklies ... it can be tearing as well ... among other things.

Regards