SCEA VP Wants More Content On Disc, Not DLC - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 3 Old 05-22-10, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
SCEA VP Wants More Content On Disc, Not DLC

SCEA VP Wants More Content On Disc, Not DLC

Rob Dyer says only on-disc content ensures "100 percent of the users are going to get it."
By Kris Pigna, 05/22/2010

Fewer changes in the gaming industry over the past few years have caused more debate than the rise of downloadable content -- and even hardware executives are chiming in. Speaking to Gamasutra, Sony Computer Entertainment America vice president Rob Dyer explained why he wants to see more content going on discs and less sold later on the Internet. "That way, 100 percent of the users are going to get it. 100 percent," Dyer said. "What are we, north of 70 percent [of PS3 owners] on the [PlayStation Network] now? 73, I think. Microsoft probably the same... [That's] still a significant number of people that aren't able to get [it], whether they don't have broadband, whether they just flat out can't get on the network. Whether or not you do it, they're not using it. I want it on the disc, that way when they buy it, they get it. So, if I can do that, that's great."

Still, Dyer also acknowledged why DLC does remain a component in today's videogame market. "Now, you can talk about why DLC is important to help limit the used game business and to keep people holding onto [the game]," he said. "I'm all about that, too. I love that. But I want it on the disc so that 100 percent out there that can play this thing."

Dyer also talked about another, less-discussed reason for why DLC is so prevalent: how it's used to boost pre-order sales, and in-turn a game's sales in total. "What has now happened is that you go to a publisher or developer and say, 'Look, guys. You got to start planning things in like pre-sale. What's your pre-sale DLC? What are you going to do for the Amazons, the GameStops, or whoever has that presale?'" Dyer said.

"So, you have to literally plan this in your [pre-production] in order to make sure you have the time, the assets, the resources because it's not just about used games; it's about, 'How do I get more pre-sale business, which absolutely determines my day-one initial orders. Am I going to get support from a first-party? How am I going to do that?'"

So in other words...for a variety of reasons, don't expect the focus on DLC to abate anytime soon, no matter how much an SCEA VP might want to see it happen.

Source: 1up.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-25-10, 02:55 PM
Elite Shackster

Re: SCEA VP Wants More Content On Disc, Not DLC

I think we should still get the game on disc, but also have an option to purchase a digital download version if we want. Of course, I think the fact we can re-sell a digital version, plus the savings devs make from no physical hardware being required, should result in the download only version being a bit cheaper.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-25-10, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: SCEA VP Wants More Content On Disc, Not DLC

I would like the ideal of having digital version as an option, just keep it an option not the sole means to get a game.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson